Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Physically demanding

WCF

Help Support WCF:

PT you probably wished you did it years before actually leaving, sometimes we need a nudge but humans are creatures of habit
I worked, and was a Director, for the family business, including after the takeover when we were still only answerable to the owner, for over 19 years.

After we were shut and I became a paid employee I only lasted 4 months including the last month when the Chairman / owner asked me personally to stay on to see if he could make it work for me.

Yep, I took 4 weeks off for the lockdown. Been back 4 weeks now and I'm still aching from that first week back it seems. Can't seem to now take enough days off to recover ? hence this week I shall be purchasing an Xtreme pole and brush. I'm gonna do everything I can to make work as easy as I can. 

Yep, I took 4 weeks off for the lockdown. Been back 4 weeks now and I'm still aching from that first week back it seems. Can't seem to now take enough days off to recover ? hence this week I shall be purchasing an Xtreme pole and brush. I'm gonna do everything I can to make work as easy as I can. 
Keep us posted with how you get on with it.  Must admit I'm tempted myself from what I hear about them.

How old are you guys that are aching?mid 50s-60s?.........

I'm 48 and weight train 2 or 3 times a week as well as play drums....obviously no gigs or rehearsals at the moment but I still give my home electric kit a blast at least once a week.....I'm fine.....I take the dog for a few long walks a few times a week too.....

I do think I'll have to slow down a bit as I get into my mid 50s though......

I'm 48 and weight train 2 or 3 times a week as well as play drums....obviously no gigs or rehearsals at the moment but I still give my home electric kit a blast at least once a week.....I'm fine.....I take the dog for a few long walks a few times a week too.....

Everyone is individual, some have arthritis or have other ailments, some have had a hard life bring up families, some looking after parents as well as Well as cleaning windows , not everyone lives a more relaxed lifestyle, if I lived on my own and only worked 4 to 5 hours a day and only walked a dog a few times a week I think I would much more stress free and healthier tbh. 

I thought the same as you at your age , Ime now 57 and have arthritis in both knees and both elbows , it has come on quickly but I still work just the same as always just find I get more tired and it seams like much harder work, I don’t think you can predict how you will be in 5-10 you might be fine you might not . 

I’m 54. Work 3 days a week. Live on my own but did bring up 4 kids!! Luckily they’ve all left home. No tiring hobbies tho!! No aches and pains tho

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm 40 but never really had problems prior to window cleaning, although I was starting to get a bad back but that's gone since I gave up my last job.

Actually come to think of it I was getting tennis elbow through vacuuming for 1 hour per day at a school I used to work at, since stopping it's actually pretty much gone.

I thought the same as you at your age , Ime now 57 and have arthritis in both knees and both elbows , it has come on quickly but I still work just the same as always just find I get more tired and it seams like much harder work, I don’t think you can predict how you will be in 5-10 you might be fine you might not . 
I'm not being funny mate but arent you a really big guy carrying a lot of extra weight?(25-30% bodyfat)...

That will have a massive effect on your overall health.......and not in a good way...

Well said Paul, no one knows what's around the corner. I'm 64, been as fit and healthy as a Gypsies whippet all my life until a little over a year ago. Always looked after my health. Ate like a hunter/gatherer and had the trim physique to match my lifestyle of no more than couple of real ales a week, wholesome food, manual work, camping and sea kayaking. Then, out of nowhere I got Oesothageal cancer.

In the past year, chemo and one of the biggest operations that a person can have. I didn't see that coming two years ago. All clear now, as far as I know.

Enjoy life and make your work day as easy and pleasant as possible.

My sympathy to anyone in pain with arthritis or other ailments, it must be a drag. I've been lucky to never have had aches and pains.

I wish the best of health to all of us and those we care about. ?

Surely you're on about @Part Timer ?
55 years old, lived and worked very hard for most of it. Spent the first 10 years of my working life doing a very hard manual job. Spent the next 25 years mainly office / car based.

Started this 9 years ago for my son on a very part time basis and done it seriously for the last 5. Do on average 20 - 25 hours a week, inc paperwork. Run another business in the scrap industry as well.

Only ailments are from my rugby days, ruptured both Achilles tendons that flair up from time to time, despite be a big fat oldish man as I keep all joints well lubricated. Currently going through a change of diet as all pubs shut so expecting an on set of age related ailment 

Off to work in 10 minutes and driving to Uxbridge, hope you lazy lot enjoyed your sleep in.

55 years old, lived and worked very hard for most of it. Spent the first 10 years of my working life doing a very hard manual job. Spent the next 25 years mainly office / car based.

Started this 9 years ago for my son on a very part time basis and done it seriously for the last 5. Do on average 20 - 25 hours a week, inc paperwork. Run another business in the scrap industry as well.

Only ailments are from my rugby days, ruptured both Achilles tendons that flair up from time to time, despite be a big fat oldish man as I keep all joints well lubricated. Currently going through a change of diet as all pubs shut so expecting an on set of age related ailment 

Off to work in 10 minutes and driving to Uxbridge, hope you lazy lot enjoyed your sleep in.
I’m up pt if that makes u feel a bit better!!

Latest Posts

Back