Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Physically demanding

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Today I again only had 2 jobs.  First I tried the supreme with the 3mm pencils, again I didn't use any extra water, used the same flow rate but also used the same water.  The house had a very large conservatory and it was a good test.  The supreme seems to weak for my liking,  the bristles slide around everything ok, but it's ability to move the dirt seemed weak.  I found myself having to go over areas were the dirt had been dislodged but left behind by the brush, so more passes with the brush than I'd have liked.  Upon finishing the job there were a couple of windows that had marks that I then had to go back over, so the scrubbing ability and clearing ability seemed weak.  I must add though, I'm not one for pressing hard on the glass so maybe this is the reason I don't seem to get on with it. 

The next job I decided to put the 3mm into my Ultimate flocked which I've only used once before but with 1.4mm pencils.  When using the 1.4mm pencils I just found loads of mist everywhere and didn't like it, it took too long.  Straight away with the 3mm I noticed the difference.  The bristles hug nicely around the frames and any marks on the glass were shifted almost entirely on the first pass.  I noticed that the bristles were also not getting clogged with dirt like they did when using the 1.4mm jets.  I breezed through the job really fast, so quick that I actually did extras like cleaning above a bay window that had one of those patterned pvc mantle piece things above it and was filthy, the dirt just poured straight off.  Overall I used less water, cleaned more and felt like I had done a better job, the windows and frames looked excellent but it felt like less effort, less concentration needed as the brush was working well so I trusted it without worrying if it had missed anything.

I don't think the Ultimate flocked is the perfect brush for me, but it's way better than the other two I've just bought and I think it might be a better option than the Ultimate medium soft.  The flocked bristles just get rid of everything, kind of gives more confidence that nothing will be missed and the 3mm jets just seem to work well with it, keeping the brush clear of cobwebs and debris.  Don't get me wrong, there is still bits on the brush but it's no more than I experienced when using 2mm jets on my Ultimate medium soft and nothing that was annoying / slowing me down.

I think I'll have a look at the other Ultimate options.  If I could improve it I'd say the bristles need to be a tad longer at the edges, I just think it would get in the corners that little bit easier.  

I'm going to use it next week but not really got much window work until the following week.  Going off how quick it was I'd say it's going to save me around 15 minutes for every hour worked, but I also feel that the clean will be better.  It will also mean less arm movements due to less passes with the brush and less time rinsing, less time cleaning, happy days ?

I had one of those scrapers attached to top of my pole and it kept getting stuck on the window bars of flats I clean. Today I took my grinder to it and cut it off, should have done it sooner but I didn't want to ruin it. Sometimes we need to be pound wise and penny foolish to move on in life. Finished the 3 flats 15 minutes quicker and managed to clean the whole window now. ?

With all the commercial coming back I have been up to my absolute eyeballs this week, mostly giving courtesy cleans to all my long term customers. After a relatively quite few months, I am exhausted. Working morrow and Sunday too ?

Almost 3 months on most of the stores, inside and out so it's been a rough week, nearly there though. Once i have them in the condition I want, it will make things a hell of alot easier over the next month or so.

With all the commercial coming back I have been up to my absolute eyeballs this week, mostly giving courtesy cleans to all my long term customers. After a relatively quite few months, I am exhausted. Working morrow and Sunday too ?

Almost 3 months on most of the stores, inside and out so it's been a rough week, nearly there though. Once i have them in the condition I want, it will make things a hell of alot easier over the next month or so.
We still have hotels  and apartment blocks on hold and some shops, the hotels are saying they have no plans to open again this year !!!! 

We still have hotels  and apartment blocks on hold and some shops, the hotels are saying they have no plans to open again this year !!!! 
Can't see that happening.  I think as soon as they say you can go to hotels then the majority of the population are heading your way, they won't be going abroad this year.  Put it this way, if they don't open the hotels then you will have lots of people sleeping on the beaches, they'll come whether the hotels are open or not.  If they open in July I'd expect it to be way busier than a normal July down there.  

Can't see that happening.  I think as soon as they say you can go to hotels then the majority of the population are heading your way, they won't be going abroad this year.  Put it this way, if they don't open the hotels then you will have lots of people sleeping on the beaches, they'll come whether the hotels are open or not.  If they open in July I'd expect it to be way busier than a normal July down there.  
I am in regular contact with the managers and that’s what they said again last week 

they cannot implement 2 m distancing in the restaurant s , corridors and reception areas so say they won’t be re opening , same with the holiday appartment blocks time will tell , if they di change there mind I will have over 4 weeks work for 6 guys just in the hotels as they are filthy not been cleaned in over 3 months and normally done every two weeks !!!! Nk idear how we will get them done as sk busy with other stuff ????

Hope so but the big business hotels are in a bad way. Everyday some group who own hotels are making many staff redundant. There's no working capital to play with so if they have a massive mortgage or debt then they just throw in the towel and hand it over to the bank. The BOE understand this all too well and now realise all the banks are going to go under so Bailey says he is going to act. Maybe he will run away or print another trillion to hold them up. In the last great depression, 3000 or 6000 banks (depends on what you read) went bust in US because there was many small banks. They say this will be worse so all banks will go bust unless Governments protect them or hold them up.

I am in regular contact with the managers and that’s what they said again last week 

they cannot implement 2 m distancing in the restaurant s , corridors and reception areas so say they won’t be re opening , same with the holiday appartment blocks time will tell , if they di change there mind I will have over 4 weeks work for 6 guys just in the hotels as they are filthy not been cleaned in over 3 months and normally done every two weeks !!!! Nk idear how we will get them done as sk busy with other stuff ????
There's a lot of pressure to drop the 2m rule mainly because alot of businesses are saying they can't open because of it. If the R rate keeps dropping this will be changed.

There's a lot of pressure to drop the 2m rule mainly because alot of businesses are saying they can't open because of it. If the R rate keeps dropping this will be changed.
Yes time will tell what happens , several of the hotels we do use mainly Eastern European’s for staff they have all returned to there homes and would have to come back to england to start work again all this would take time and the managers are afrade  of a second lockdown August -October time and having to shut up shop again they said it’s cheaper to just stay shut until next year , but we will see what happens . 

Yes time will tell what happens , several of the hotels we do use mainly Eastern European’s for staff they have all returned to there homes and would have to come back to england to start work again all this would take time and the managers are afrade  of a second lockdown August -October time and having to shut up shop again they said it’s cheaper to just stay shut until next year , but we will see what happens . 
Aye, I'm expecting a second wave in October so they are playing it safe. Churches up here are desperate to open back up again but it might be to do with finances.

Jesus christ that's ridiculous!! I think hotels will absolutely open in the next 2 months or so, they have to or they are screwed. The last 3 days in particular with the retail side of things have been insanity. I have several theatres and I think they are a long way away from opening. Also several garages I do are still essential personnel only, which is stupid as there are hundreds of people going in and out every hour. Surely apartment blocks should be a goer for you soon?

So far I have lost 3 Oasis branches, 1 Debenhams branch and possibly 1 Monsoon & Wagamama branch. Zara apparently might close 1200 stores, wow! Although usually they will close the weaker stores first and see how it goes from there before they all out shut up shop.

Mothercare went yesterday, Aldo went. It is only the start of it imo as how can these stores make money when there are only 3 or 4 people allowed in at a time & they are discouraging browsing. That literally takes away most peoples reason for going shopping. A bleak 6 months ahead for retail I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't see anyone rushing out to the shops on Monday, I can see a lot going under in the next few months whether they open or not..

It is only the start of it imo as how can these stores make money when there are only 3 or 4 people allowed in at a time & they are discouraging browsing. That literally takes away most peoples reason for going shopping. A bleak 6 months ahead for retail I think.
That has been the case with food shops as well one touch and you buy at least your supposed to but plenty of people will flout what they should be doing, I think a lot of peoples confidence will have taken a knock and they won't want to go out shopping, but some people will be straight out, as soon as drive-thru's for food opened the queue's were stupid people can't be that desperate for certain things the same will happen at clothes shops

There was a number of retailers announced this week that they will be laying off 1,000's of staff across the UK it will be damage control those that had an online store up and running before all this will have ridden through the storm far more easily, I am pleased I am not doing commercial one guy in another town who was 100% commercial ended up delivering pizzas 

That has been the case with food shops as well one touch and you buy at least your supposed to but plenty of people will flout what they should be doing, I think a lot of peoples confidence will have taken a knock and they won't want to go out shopping, but some people will be straight out, as soon as drive-thru's for food opened the queue's were stupid people can't be that desperate for certain things the same will happen at clothes shops

There was a number of retailers announced this week that they will be laying off 1,000's of staff across the UK it will be damage control those that had an online store up and running before all this will have ridden through the storm far more easily, I am pleased I am not doing commercial one guy in another town who was 100% commercial ended up delivering pizzas 
I'm just about to leave this morning to go to two of the shopping centres, I fully expect them both to be absolutely bedlam. People are itching to get out and do something. You're right, you just cannot account for the general public.

I think if this saga has thought me anything, it is to diversify more. I always spread my work around different places so as to not have all eggs in one basket so to speak. I've went from clothes stores, to electrical, to take aways, to chemists, to restaurants, to pubs, to coffee shops, to theatres, to industrial. I thought I has spread things out nicely but they are all commercial and I have took a massive hit over the last 3 months. Only few residential, chemists, health stores and opticians have kept me going. Who can account for a global pandemic I suppose but lesson learned for me and I will incorporate more residential stuff into my business.

Back