Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

PUMP PROBLEM!!!!!!!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Hi, thanks for the reply. 

Battery is fully charged, 13.5.

Disconnected brush and pole, everything is okay from that. 

Removed connection to hose reel, no water, however I was sucking to see if air was stuck and some came out, trickled a little then stopped. 

Pump is on max, doesn't seem to auto turn off like before 

Thanks for the reply. 

Done both and no change, pump just keeps running 
Disconnect pump from tank, have you got water getting to the pump

Have you dropped anything in tank thats causing blockages?

I dropped the bottom of TDS meter in tank a while back n sometimes(rarely) it has covered the hole inside tank on the hose I use to fill bucket preventing water coming through, I just blow the hose n it pops away. 

Hi Callum, Spoke to you earlier. I know you remover the hose at the hose reel but I can't remember have you removed the hose from the pump outlet directly, where it joins in the picture there?

Also can you try bypassing the strainer and plumbing straight from tank to pump temporarily so we can rule out the strainer?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well if you've got water getting to the pump and no water coming out then you either have an airlock or your pump is knackered. Stick a pipe on the end of pump and suck as hard and as long as you can.

Hi Callum, Spoke to you earlier. I know you remover the hose at the hose reel but I can't remember have you removed the hose from the pump outlet directly, where it joins in the picture there?

Also can you try bypassing the strainer and plumbing straight from tank to pump temporarily so we can rule out the strainer?
I can untighten the Julian clip however can't seem to get the hose off ??‍♂️?

so many posts about pump problems lately!....most of the time its a calibration issue,airlock or frozen hoses...

SET YOUR CAL HIGHER

RUN YOUR PUMP ON FULL FOR A FEW MINS AND CONNECT AND DISCONNECT YOUR REEL HOSE A FEW TIMES

MAKE SURE YOUR HOSE ISNT FROZEN

make sure your strainer isnt blocked too!
And don’t forget to open the tap on your tank outlet too. 
Tbh with the cold today it will probably be bits of ice in the pipes. It clogs up at your connectors. Take off all the hozelocks etc and pump it all out. 

Just a quick note, I can see it looks like the strainer has been leaking. See the rust marks on the Jubilee clip below the strainer and on the floor. So you might have an air leak on the strainer or the strainer has cracked allowing air to leak in. As @Mx19 said try bypassing the strainer just to test it out.
I've not got water however there. Is no pressure, I opened up the pump and blew in there and water is now coming but like I say with no pressure. Tried auto calibration and nothing. Do you think more air is in there? 

Just a quick note, I can see it looks like the strainer has been leaking. See the rust marks on the Jubilee clip below the strainer and on the floor. So you might have an air leak on the strainer or the strainer has cracked allowing air to leak in. As @Mx19 said try bypassing the strainer just to test it out.

The pump isn't designed to pump air it's a water pump. With that in mind you need to first make sure water is coming out of the tank. So disconnect the pipe from the tank that connects to the strainer. Are you getting water out? If you are then connect the pipe that did go to the strainer to the pump (where the other end of strainer goes). Now you don't have a strainer but that's ok to test. Now run the pump full power (99)? but don't connect the hose to your reel just have it open (if it has a stop end hose lock you need to remove the hose lock). With it on full power do you get a decent flow? If you do then pump is OK and it's a problem with reel or pole hose/brush including fittings.

You need to tackle this logical and work from source (tank) to brush and where ever the pressure drops the issue is just before that.

It really is a very simple system but if the pump can suck in air say through a cracked strainer (only a slight crack is needed) then it will suck in air and then it wont pump water!!!

I know it's frustrating but maybe go indoors have a cup of tea and a read and think. Then go back to van with a plan.

The pump isn't designed to pump air it's a water pump. With that in mind you need to first make sure water is coming out of the tank. So disconnect the pipe from the tank that connects to the strainer. Are you getting water out? If you are then connect the pipe that did go to the strainer to the pump (where the other end of strainer goes). Now you don't have a strainer but that's ok to test. Now run the pump full power (99)? but don't connect the hose to your reel just have it open (if it has a stop end hose lock you need to remove the hose lock). With it on full power do you get a decent flow? If you do then pump is OK and it's a problem with reel or pole hose/brush including fittings.

You need to tackle this logical and work from source (tank) to brush and where ever the pressure drops the issue is just before that.

It really is a very simple system but if the pump can suck in air say through a cracked strainer (only a slight crack is needed) then it will suck in air and then it wont pump water!!!

I know it's frustrating but maybe go indoors have a cup of tea and a read and think. Then go back to van with a plan.
Water is coming out of tank as when pump is opened up, water flows out. I blew into the pump which then made it come through the hose reel connector and I had a flow of water then all of a sudden it dropped again. 

I'll try tomorrow with removing the strainer as it's too dark now and stressful ?? thanks for all your help though. I'll keep you updated tomorrow 

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has had an air lock in their shurflo water pump? I ran dry on my last customer the other day, the next morning I discovered my pump wasn't pumping water.

I've tried sucking it through, comes through a little then stops again.

Tried forcing water through from my garden hose, but as soon as I connect back to the tank, still no water being pumped!

I can't be the only plonker to have ran dry? Anyone experienced this and solved the issue?? Please help ha.

You need to somehow get the air out of the system while replacing it with water.  It must surely be an air problem if it was OK before you ran dry. Make sure you have enough in the tank. Try blasting it through with the pump on high. If that doesn't work try sucking the pipe after disconnecting it from the reel.
In fact disconnecting the reel should be initial step one.

If still no joy, try holding the open end above the level of the system and pouring water in. Do this with the pump off, on and running at different speeds.

Good luck.

If your saying it comes through a little and then stops and comes again then it may be the pump is to high..... try taking the pump out and making it lower and watch the flow become good.

Hi Troops,

I have just had my facelift compact 725 installed (by mechanic not pro unfortunately). I have set up the DI's etc but for some reason the flow from the brush is just a dribble equivalent to maybe 40 on the controller even when it's up at 99. I have been back and forward from part to part all day and can't find the problem. I've tried calibrating even with the hose reels disconnected, double checked the hoses to DI can't find the problem and I am stumped. Any advice greatly appreciated. 

Cheers

Keatsy

Back