Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

? Starting From Zero - Follow Along

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I just view Virosol as a tool to do a job  just like a brush or pole  if it makes life quicker or easier it’s worth using 
Fair enough. I just simply thought it would be better to learn techniques and rinsing first before adding virisol but I yes, it's certainly a method to learn so might as well do it now. 

virosol is very rarely needed if you use hot water unless the windows havent been cleaned for years and years...its too hot to touch straight out of the jets even with 100m off my reel at this time of year....

UPDATE 03/06

I decided to concentrate on my technique to see if I could clean this residue from my windows. I was hoping to get the glass crystal clear. 

I concentrated just on the glass, scrubbing the top seal a few times, then the rest, then the bottom seal and then repeat that once more before rinsing. I tried to avoid the frames.

I waited for it to dry and It looked at first like it was absolutely perfect. But on very close inspection, along the top just below the seal on some windows where spots (or outlines it looks like) of water marks. So I was a bit disappointed at first, because I definitely scrubbed / rinsed those areas well.

I went back outside with some glass cleaner and a glass cloth and tried to clean them off by hand, but they wouldn't come off at all!!! So it made me feel better that it wasn't my fault with the WFP.

Any ideas what it is? How I can get it off?

Update 18/07

The last month I've been very busy in my family life. But I've managed to push forward with getting my WFP business started.

Ive managed to setup a website (just need to finish it off), I've practiced a lot, and I feel like I'm getting a lot better now. I cleaned my neighbors large house, with windows that hadn't been cleaned in 20 years! So that was a massive challenge and took me about 3 hours. (very slow I know). But they were absolutely delighted with the results, they couldn't believe how good they look and have said they want to recommend me to everyone they know. 

I now have a sole trader bank account too.

I still need to get flyers/business cards printed. In preparation for canvassing soon. 

I've researched insurance, accounting, business apps, so that's all ready. 

I was a little stuck on getting hold of a handy sack truck, but Austin kindly helped me find an alternative,

I still need to find a good supplier for 25l drums. Then I think I'll be ready to start getting customers. I need to push forward as much as possible to get some momentum going and get my first paying customer, which is the goal ASAP. 

Don't forget you need pure water!

25lts barrels can be had from car washes or you can buy them on Amazon, ebay etc.

Printing wise I have found Bizay to be good and cheap. There are lots of deals about so register with the link then they send you different deals quite frequently. It seems they are based in Portugal but they do delivery when they say and have some designs but you can do your own and they seem to be very flexible in what you can do with the designs. 

I'm just about to start my first repeat cleans this week ? All good so far but weather has been perfect so that makes things easy.

First cleans are slow, very slow, probably more me than the clean being slow. I recently bought a 20m extension hose to go from backpack to pole and it does make things easier as don't have to keep repositioning backpack, but it does take a bit of getting used to the extra hose that is. I'm hoping the 2nd cleans will be quicker but maintaining a quality clean. As I don't have many customers it's not a problem that 1st cleans take a long time (longest was 1:30) and I do more work than I really should but I want to get a good reputation so a bit of pink stuff on the odd door scuff or oxidised sill makes the job look so much better. I won't go as far as using pink stuff on frames as once you start on a frame then you might need ladders and I'm avoiding them...

Good luck and get going mate.

Update 18/07

The last month I've been very busy in my family life. But I've managed to push forward with getting my WFP business started.

Ive managed to setup a website (just need to finish it off), I've practiced a lot, and I feel like I'm getting a lot better now. I cleaned my neighbors large house, with windows that hadn't been cleaned in 20 years! So that was a massive challenge and took me about 3 hours. (very slow I know). But they were absolutely delighted with the results, they couldn't believe how good they look and have said they want to recommend me to everyone they know. 

I now have a sole trader bank account too.

I still need to get flyers/business cards printed. In preparation for canvassing soon. 

I've researched insurance, accounting, business apps, so that's all ready. 

I was a little stuck on getting hold of a handy sack truck, but Austin kindly helped me find an alternative,

I still need to find a good supplier for 25l drums. Then I think I'll be ready to start getting customers. I need to push forward as much as possible to get some momentum going and get my first paying customer, which is the goal ASAP. 
Glad all is well mate. Will catch up in the week

I bought a set of four 25 litre plastic Jerry cans fairly cheaply on the Internet a few years ago when I had a smaller van-tank. I bought blue ones to avoid sunlight causing algae and also because I thought they looked better for the trade.

What planet are you from?  "Perfect"...?  Far too hot for me - just been out to stock up on Factor 50!

??
As a noob I don't have many custys yet so relative to you guys, I have VERY VERY easy short days. I have been piling on the Factor 50 as well as I have very fair skin, I've never had so tanned arms in my life! 

I more meant it's perfect weather as no rain, low wind and not cold at all. I have yet to have the challenges of the UK weather. Heat with short days I can deal with, long days would be a different matter. 

Forgot to say I'm up North and within 1 mile of sea, so much cooler up here that you are having it down South.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a noob I don't have many custys yet so relative to you guys, I have VERY VERY easy short days. I have been piling on the Factor 50 as well as I have very fair skin, I've never had so tanned arms in my life! 

I more meant it's perfect weather as no rain, low wind and not cold at all. I have yet to have the challenges of the UK weather. Heat with short days I can deal with, long days would be a different matter. 
Shsh! Don't say that @ched999uk  take the admiration while it's going.

Here goes again. That @ched999uk must be one hard b...... d! ??

I agree.
I guess you and I must be made of lesser stuff. ?
No, I'm well hard... :2_thumbs_up_-_animated:

Spent 4 hours in yesterday's heat doing GSF's, claddings and windows on just one property but I have told my customers that I aint doing anymore now until after the summer!

Currently in Newmarket and the average temp for the next 3 days is 27°. Bit hot for us Northern folk ?
Thankfully it's meant to cool down tomorrow to 28C tomorrow here in Kent ?

Another hard b..... d! ?

This level of heat is too much for me. We'll start an hour early with the intention of finishing around mid-day .
I have a large property to do tomorrow (2 hour job) and have asked them when's the earliest I could call over because I want to do this as early as I can (gated entry and cannot just turn up).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back