Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

tds creeping up

WCF

Help Support WCF:

simon smith

got a ro changed my pre filters and resin 4 weeks ago and the tds is creeping up already, use around 1500lts a week , tds out of tap is 190, changed ro filter 3 years ago, usually goes 3 months between resin, filter change any idea why its not lasting as long thanks

got a ro changed my pre filters and resin 4 weeks ago and the tds is creeping up already, use around 1500lts a week , tds out of tap is 190, changed ro filter 3 years ago, usually goes 3 months between resin, filter change any idea why its not lasting as long thanks
If you're doing the same, and previously resin lasted 3 months then you would have to suspect the ro membrane. Is it a good make like daqua? Also the pre filters would need changing more often than 3 months if you use 1500 litres a week. How much waste also? A sediment prefilter should only last 12000 litres which is pure and waste water combined.

Try the search bar at the top of the page thus subject is discussed on an almost weekly basis and all the answers are already there . Anything that’s not there just ask .

If you're doing the same, and previously resin lasted 3 months then you would have to suspect the ro membrane. Is it a good make like daqua? Also the pre filters would need changing more often than 3 months if you use 1500 litres a week. How much waste also? A sediment prefilter should only last 12000 litres which is pure and waste water combined.
thanks dont know the make , 60%waste 40%pure

thanks dont know the make , 60%waste 40%pure
ah, pre filters, if bought from daqua for example, should only last 12000 for sediment and 36000 for the carbon block, if you buy the good one. otherwise can prematurely mess up your ro membrane. Maybe the membrane is on its way out. Either way, I recommend daqua for future, and they will give you good advise too.

12000 for sediment ?? That’s pure and waste?! That’s ridiculous I thought it was 75000 ish? I been using 2500 a week last couple weeks and at 50/50 pure to waste that’s every two and A half weeks !?

ah, pre filters, if bought from daqua for example, should only last 12000 for sediment and 36000 for the carbon block, if you buy the good one. otherwise can prematurely mess up your ro membrane. Maybe the membrane is on its way out. Either way, I recommend daqua for future, and they will give you good advise too.
Depends what pre-filters also I assume you are talking about 10" ones for a standard R/O not a 40/40 which has 20" pre-filters and which I assume @simon smith is on about. 

With my standard R/O my sediment I switch when it looks knackered I have a clear housing for this because we have issues with sediment the 10" PENTEK FIBREDYNE CFB-PLUS FILTER has a service life of 38,000 litres,

Everyone will or won't have issues with sediment we only live a 160 meters from our last house were we never had issues with sediment in this house I have to change sometimes every 2-3 weeks it can start changing colour with in a few days to light orange, apparently we are on the same line as the last house @THL4KEL lives in same town as me just over a mile away and he has no issues with sediment 

Depends what pre-filters also I assume you are talking about 10" ones for a standard R/O not a 40/40 which has 20" pre-filters and which I assume @simon smith is on about. 

With my standard R/O my sediment I switch when it looks knackered I have a clear housing for this because we have issues with sediment the 10" PENTEK FIBREDYNE CFB-PLUS FILTER has a service life of 38,000 litres,

Everyone will or won't have issues with sediment we only live a 160 meters from our last house were we never had issues with sediment in this house I have to change sometimes every 2-3 weeks it can start changing colour with in a few days to light orange, apparently we are on the same line as the last house @THL4KEL lives in same town as me just over a mile away and he has no issues with sediment 
Yeh not sure what system he has. Im sure I could risk more than 12000 for my sediment, but as Im not a heavy user and they dont cost a huge amount it works out ok.

12000 for sediment ?? That’s pure and waste?! That’s ridiculous I thought it was 75000 ish? I been using 2500 a week last couple weeks and at 50/50 pure to waste that’s every two and A half weeks !?
Thts what they list it as, for the 10" ones anyway. 

I have twin 20" prefilters; the first sediment and the second a Fiberdyne carbon block. As per @Iron Giantour water can be rather full of sediment sometimes. These days our water supply is better and I generally only have to change the sediment filter with the carbon filter every 76,000 litres.

I do however, have a  pressure gauge each side of the prefilters. The first gauge shows tap water pressure and the second gauge measures the water pressure after the prefilters. Our water pressure is 50psi but when the sediment filter starts to block up the pressure will be lower after the prefilters. I will not let the pressure drop to below 40psi on the second gauge. If it does then I will change the sediment filter. If it's just about time to change both prefilters, I will change them both, even if it's a little early.

I have twin 20" prefilters; the first sediment and the second a Fiberdyne carbon block. As per @Iron Giantour water can be rather full of sediment sometimes. These days our water supply is better and I generally only have to change the sediment filter with the carbon filter every 76,000 litres.

I do however, have a  pressure gauge each side of the prefilters. The first gauge shows tap water pressure and the second gauge measures the water pressure after the prefilters. Our water pressure is 50psi but when the sediment filter starts to block up the pressure will be lower after the prefilters. I will not let the pressure drop to below 40psi on the second gauge. If it does then I will change the sediment filter. If it's just about time to change both prefilters, I will change them both, even if it's a little early.
Good to know spruce i assume that will work for everyone I shall get another gauge to add in after the pre filters that will give me a heads up if it’s about time ! 
I keep forgetting to disconnect the resin vessels when flushing so my resin has been rinsed these last few weeks. Have had to resort to a reminder on phone for flushing abs to disconnect when I do it! 

Good to know spruce i assume that will work for everyone I shall get another gauge to add in after the pre filters that will give me a heads up if it’s about time ! 
I keep forgetting to disconnect the resin vessels when flushing so my resin has been rinsed these last few weeks. Have had to resort to a reminder on phone for flushing abs to disconnect when I do it! 
I'm not sure what impact flushing with the di vessel in loop will make to resin usage tbh. So little water goes to pure when flushing.

However, one of the issues that can impact on resin is when you first start up your r/o. The pure tds is usually very high to start with until the r/o settles down. We call it tds creep. Some cleaners disconnect their di vessel from the loop for a while until the rejection rate is close to normal. I have never bothered as it's too much hassle.

Latest Posts

Back