Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Thinking about setting up

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I’m finding this out, what van? What system? DIY? What ibc pre made system? Diy? What pole? Electric reel? Makes my head spin ?? . I’m nearly there in my head tho (I think). Btw they weren’t questions for u they’re the questions swirling round my nut lol
My head's been swirling since I started over five years ago. I never stop trying to improve my equipment, my business and my efficiency. I always try to think things through and mostly I've been lucky enough to get it right first time. ?

My head's been swirling since I started over five years ago. I never stop trying to improve my equipment, my business and my efficiency. I always try to think things through and mostly I've been lucky enough to get it right first time. ?
I find this forum a big help & everyone seems happy enough to advise where possible. So many things I wouldn’t have known about regarding Wfp without being on here. A god send tbf

I find this forum a big help & everyone seems happy enough to advise where possible. So many things I wouldn’t have known about regarding Wfp without being on here. A god send tbf
Yep! Certainly been a great help to me in the past five plus years. In a while you'll have gained a lot of knowledge and experience and you'll be able to help others as they start out. ?

The slx is a much better pole than the clx.

But for anything 25ft or above it has to be the extreme. 

I have an old clx 27 in the van as a spare and I have an extreme 25. 

The clx seems ridiculous in comparison to the extreme. heavy, bendy and whippy. 

Last edited by a moderator:
My SLX22 is now 8 years old and all its had are new smart clamps, stop tape replaced numerous times and 3 or 4 coats (at different times) of engine lacquer.

It started off life with an Aquadaptor for many years and was replaced with the mark one Univalve. I truly can't complain.

In 2009 I purchased a CLX22 and had that as my main pole for a couple of years. It was then relegated to backup pole with a flocked brush in the van for leaded windows when I bought the SLX22. It did a reasonable amount of work but needs new smart clamps fitted. Its hardly worth spending that money on it tbh as a replacement is not very expensive.

It was retired to the garage when SIL left us and handed back his rather well used SLX22 pole. I did buy a set of smart clamps for the CLX but used them on reconditioning that returned pole SIL had.

I did quite enjoy the flex of the CLX for cleaning windows above a conservatory roof from the side and used that flex to my advantage. I still miss that when using the SLX22.

I have toyed with eventually replacing the SLX22 with an SLX27 but am concerned about the slight extra weight and slight increased pole diamt with my arthritic hands.

But the SLX27 will reduce the number of times I need to get the SLX40 out to reach those few windows I can reach with my SLX22.

My SLX22 is now 8 years old and all its had are new smart clamps, stop tape replaced numerous times and 3 or 4 coats (at different times) of engine lacquer.

It started off life with an Aquadaptor for many years and was replaced with the mark one Univalve. I truly can't complain.

In 2009 I purchased a CLX22 and had that as my main pole for a couple of years. It was then relegated to backup pole with a flocked brush in the van for leaded windows when I bought the SLX22. It did a reasonable amount of work but needs new smart clamps fitted. Its hardly worth spending that money on it tbh as a replacement is not very expensive.

It was retired to the garage when SIL left us and handed back his rather well used SLX22 pole. I did buy a set of smart clamps for the CLX but used them on reconditioning that returned pole SIL had.

I did quite enjoy the flex of the CLX for cleaning windows above a conservatory roof from the side and used that flex to my advantage. I still miss that when using the SLX22.

I have toyed with eventually replacing the SLX22 with an SLX27 but am concerned about the slight extra weight and slight increased pole diamt with my arthritic hands.

But the SLX27 will reduce the number of times I need to get the SLX40 out to reach those few windows I can reach with my SLX22.

What I would do spruce is buy an extension for the 22 to make it a 27.

Then buy a new slx 18

The 27 will last ages as won't get used nearly as much and the 18 will wear fast but cheaper to replace. 

I have an slx 18 and an extreme 25.

I probably use the slx 70/80% of the time with the extreme coming out a handful of times a day. 

The idea being the extreme should last a few years and is light where I need it over connys and in angles etc. 

An slx 18 is a very light pole and stiff when used straight up on run of the mill property's. 

The only other pole I have is an old clz 27 with an extension so its about 32ft I think. It's horrible at that height but only needed maybe 5 times a month for a few velux windows so makes no sense to replace it for this purpose. 

But of course it depends on your round

What I would do spruce is buy an extension for the 22 to make it a 27.

Then buy a new slx 18

The 27 will last ages as won't get used nearly as much and the 18 will wear fast but cheaper to replace. 

I have an slx 18 and an extreme 25.

I probably use the slx 70/80% of the time with the extreme coming out a handful of times a day. 

The idea being the extreme should last a few years and is light where I need it over connys and in angles etc. 

An slx 18 is a very light pole and stiff when used straight up on run of the mill property's. 

The only other pole I have is an old clz 27 with an extension so its about 32ft I think. It's horrible at that height but only needed maybe 5 times a month for a few velux windows so makes no sense to replace it for this purpose. 

But of course it depends on your round
My SLX22 isn't going to last forever. A #6 section CLX base pole is £49 + VAT where a#6 section SLX base is £70 + VAT. What puts me off is the hassle of adding a section on those odd times I need it.

It would be better to buy an SLX27 outright, adding an extreme brush and working through the aching fingers.

I would be certain that when my pole does finally pack in the base section could still be salvageable as it does get used as much as the other sections.

We have most poles  Gardiners make clx,six, extreme, ultimate , for my everyday pole I had an extream 18 lovely pole but very delicate broke several top sections and that wasn’t abusing it , when it had to be relegated  to the bin I bought an slx 18 within weeks I was getting black hands never had this with the extream ????? , I have now gone back to the clx and it’s a good pole ,bit whippey and bit heavier but it’s a good pole and no black hands , I don’t want to wear gloves and the black hands was doing my head in ?? . The extream 18 is a nice pole but it’s around 3 times the price , is it really worth that ??? Not sure .The funny thing is Ime using the clx and staff are using the better slx ???

I've only been doing this job for 9 years and I'm starting to feel old. The new guys saying they can't control a CLX and it's to heavy should try and use a metal or fibreglass pole. They'd sharp appreciate a CLX pole. 

This is so true.

An Unger Teleplus ali pole with a oval Vikan was the ultimate in flex and black hands.

But a quarter of the price, ok if you can afford the extra expense

Poles are the single most important bit of kit a wfp cleaner uses. 

Scrimp on other areas but never the pole, it's the thing you use all day everyday. 

My gear isn't flash, it's all d.i.y and my van isn't a new one either but when it comes to poles they are the thing that makes a huge difference to how easy and productive your day is. 

I've only been doing this job for 9 years and I'm starting to feel old. The new guys saying they can't control a CLX and it's to heavy should try and use a metal or fibreglass pole. They'd sharp appreciate a CLX pole. 

I started with a Harris pole and a brush from Tesco lol

My next pole was a hybrid one then onto an slx then the extreme. And everytime I've upgraded I've wondered why I didn't buy one sooner. 

It's not a matter of cant control one but why make life harder than it needs to be. It's a physically demanding job as it is, make life as comfortable as possible. Imo. 

Xmas must be expensive in your house ?
Always is but the topic started as someone setting up on a budget. It's all fine people saying you should buy a £500 pole but when you're doing 10 to 20 hours a week on the glass, in my opinion, it makes very little difference to your physical well being by using a slightly heavier pole. Also how many newbies last long enough to appreciate the difference between poles. 

Always is but the topic started as someone setting up on a budget. It's all fine people saying you should buy a £500 pole but when you're doing 10 to 20 hours a week on the glass, in my opinion, it makes very little difference to your physical well being by using a slightly heavier pole. Also how many newbies last long enough to appreciate the difference between poles. 
I agree, also for me I abused my first 3 poles never knew how to look after them, so even some one converting trad rounds to wfp should get a clx pole until they get used to wfp

starting off........ a CLX 22 is a fine budget pole,couple it with a uni valve,gardiners v3 backpack,20m of pole hose,a few barrels and a foldaway trolley(held on with a bungee strap) and your in business(if your buying your pure water that it).....you can upgrade as you go.....

The carbon breaks down into an oil type solution that gets on your index finger. All the DIY guys will say not if you maintain them, well you don't have to maintain the CLX

My clx is in desperate need of PTFE lubricant as it's now becoming incredibly stiff. How is that not needing maintenance?

If I was starting again today id get an slx 22 and this

https://www.diy.com/departments/werner-7-tread-aluminium-steel-stepladder-2-12m/5010845000290_BQ.prd

Great for reaching over conservatory’s, extensions and reaching skylight. Stable enough to stand on top. Really saves your back and shoulders. 

Wouldnt fancy a clx longer than 18 foot as their to whippy 

And then you need a roof rack or a van.. how is that doable on a budget?

Some people aren't as physically strong as you. Heck I met a windy recently who was made of muscle, uses a slx 25 and he said it was heavy! He tried my clx 27 and was stunned. If you saw the size of him you'd wonder why he was complaining.

I'm also riddled with arthritic problems so the clx isn't the best option for me and I'm not ashamed to say it.

But like I said, at full length it's also heavy at an angle and too whippy / difficult to control - especially in moderate wind. This slows down cleaning meaning it's kept up there longer putting more strain on the operator.

I'll disagree over the little difference thing. 

I will say it's a good bench marking pole though, once you've had a clx it's great for comparing other poles against.

My plan now is to get a slx for the high Windows but sick with the (shortened) clx for lower ones. This will preserve the slx (and black hand membership - though I use gloves anyway) and allow me to replace my lower heights pole with a cheaper clx. By lower heights I mean ground and 1st floor.

Thanks for all the info, Think I will go for a clx 27 and backpack option. 

One thing I have seen is, people saying it takes 2-3 cleans to actually be clean? Is there anyway to get it right first time? Personally think it’s a bit weird telling a customer it will take 3 months to have cleans windows. 

Thanks for all the info, Think I will go for a clx 27 and backpack option. 

One thing I have seen is, people saying it takes 2-3 cleans to actually be clean? Is there anyway to get it right first time? Personally think it’s a bit weird telling a customer it will take 3 months to have cleans windows. 

people who say it takes two or three cleans arnt doing it right we get the job up to speed on the first clean and it looks the same as if it had been done for years , they are making excuses for either poor water quality or bad technique 

people who say it takes two or three cleans arnt doing it right we get the job up to speed on the first clean and it looks the same as if it had been done for years , they are making excuses for either poor water quality or bad technique 
I understand what you’re saying but me when I change from trad to wfp will strive for perfect results. I’ll take my time especially on the first couple of months. But I can watch all the videos I want, at the end of the day it’ll be a new way of doing the job & im bound to make mistakes at first. I think saying it might take a couple of cleans (true or not) to get perfect results is a safety net for the inexperience of the new method of cleaning as well. Say a year into it if I picked up a new call I’m sure I’d be a lot more confident & have a better technique to get the job done at a higher standard than when I just started. I think experience is the key factor really.

Back