Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Trad looking for a backpack setup

WCF

Help Support WCF:

TopNotch

Firstly I wish to say hi and thankyou to everyone in this community for their information and words of wisdom

I started up last week traditional method picking up 6 regulars which I'm pleased about however I've turned down 4 potentials down to not being able to reach and my trad pole skill are still developing to an okay level for glass but not for first cleans or frame, sill work.

So I've been thinking about a backpack just for those hard to reach ones and 3 story as I won't go higher than two on ladders for safety and peace of mind, lately I look at any house I pass by on foot or car I look at house and say "ugh I couldn't do that" and most new houses are being built higher now days not close to tokyo yet but most new build are 3 stories up.

I've been researching into it and just hope I can get a nod of approval, as they say he who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes and he who does not ask a question remains a fool for life.

For purified water I will be traveling to a spotless station 60 mile round trip and filling 5 or 6 25l containers not Ideal but I won't be using it for the whole house.

backpacksetup.jpg you 

Gardiner backpack & SLX-27 are a good choice.

Travelling 60 miles for water is not such a good idea IMO. Surely there's a windie near to you from whom you could purchase some pure water. Or even just buy yourself an RO & DI vessel & do it yourself - It wouldn't take long to pay for itself in saved fuel & time.

Are the connectors all okay and I don't need any accessories to go a head? 

Can you attach some sort of micro fiber on a t-bar on the back and turn it over or something so I can wipe the sills after or is rinsing enough to remove it all?

It's all motorway so just over an hour, 4-5 liters for first clean per window and maybe 2l for maintenance so 120 liters should last a while, £8 a trip at whatever time is better than setting up and getting my head around ro/dl systems and I'm on metered water ?

Are the connectors all okay and I don't need any accessories to go a head? 

Can you attach some sort of micro fiber on a t-bar on the back and turn it over or something so I can wipe the sills after or is rinsing enough to remove it all?

It's all motorway so just over an hour, 4-5 liters for first clean per window and maybe 2l for maintenance so 120 liters should last a while, £8 a trip at whatever time is better than setting up and getting my head around ro/dl systems and I'm on metered water ?
?

We await a future update.

It will go something like this.

I wish to again say thankyou to everyone in this community for their information and words of wisdom. I found it much easier and quicker to clean the upstairs windows with my new Gardiner backpack and Gardiner pole.

After a couple of houses I decide just to do the bottoms of this house as well just to try it. I found it so much better to do the bottoms wfp as well. I'm finding the quick trip down the motorway to buy water a bit tedious and expensive.

Please can you chaps recommend the best way I can produce my own water as I'm finding 120 liters isn't lasting me as long as I hoped. I've got a lot of new customers and finding I'm using a lot of water on first cleans. I'm told that my water consumption will reduce once these initial cleans become maintenance cleans but I'm still using more and more water as I'm getting more customers.

It took me an hour to discover that trading bottom windows when doing the tops wfp was now a no go. I'm not tall enough to reach the tops of the bottom windows so still needed to carry a small step ladder. Doing the bottoms wfp as well made total sense for me and has proved so much quicker.

Then further down the line you will be asking for info on suitable vans and van mounted systems because this backpack is too slow.

Then still further in time you will report back that your r/o is working fine and you couldn't understand why you were so concerned about being on a water meter. You are earning much more for the convenience of producing your water needs at home and your increased water bill was written off against tax. In the time you saved to pop down the road for water you were able to clean 3 customers houses, so you were earning money instead of travelling.

You were able to add an extra £2 to each new clean to cover the cost of your increased water bill. In fact, you look forward to a high water bill, because this means that you've been earning lots of money window cleaning.

We wish you the best.

?

I wish to again say thankyou to everyone in this community for their information and words of wisdom. I found it much easier and quicker to clean the upstairs windows with my new Gardiner backpack and Gardiner pole.

After a couple of houses I decide just to do the bottoms of this house as well just to try it. I found it so much better to do the bottoms wfp as well. I'm finding the quick trip down the motorway to buy water a bit tedious and expensive.

Please can you chaps recommend the best way I can produce my own water as I'm finding 120 liters isn't lasting me as long as I hoped. I've got a lot of new customers and finding I'm using a lot of water on first cleans. I'm told that my water consumption will reduce once these initial cleans become maintenance cleans but I'm still using more and more water as I'm getting more customers.

It took me an hour to discover that trading bottom windows when doing the tops wfp was now a no go. I'm not tall enough to reach the tops of the bottom windows so still needed to carry a small step ladder. Doing the bottoms wfp as well made total sense for me and has proved so much quicker.

Then further down the line you will be asking for info on suitable vans and van mounted systems because this backpack is too slow.

Then still further in time you will report back that your r/o is working fine and you couldn't understand why you were so concerned about being on a water meter. You are earning much more for the convenience of producing your water needs at home and your increased water bill was written off against tax. In the time you saved to pop down the road for water you were able to clean 3 customers houses, so you were earning money instead of travelling.

You were able to add an extra £2 to each new clean to cover the cost of your increased water bill. In fact, you look forward to a high water bill, because this means that you've been earning lots of money window cleaning.

We wish you the best.
Thats me!!!!!! Now on the van mount part

That's some good work with that bastardised water genie pump and battery @Green Pro Clean Ltd . I work with a gardiner back pack and a clx pole, I've had zero experience using any other system as it's everything I've ever known. Being fit and strong I have little issue lugging water around using barrels and refilling, however I'm looking into alternatives that aren't a fitted van system (as my vw van is a work/camper van).

my main reason for looking at alternatives is that I won't always be so fit and able, so going lighter weight using a lighter pole like a extreme that is hoseless and a long reel is very attractive to me in the future.

been thinking about using my gardiner back pack with a reel attached in some way, still much to be worked out but it's nice to know it's plausible.

That's some good work with that bastardised water genie pump and battery @Green Pro Clean Ltd . I work with a gardiner back pack and a clx pole, I've had zero experience using any other system as it's everything I've ever known. Being fit and strong I have little issue lugging water around using barrels and refilling, however I'm looking into alternatives that aren't a fitted van system (as my vw van is a work/camper van).

my main reason for looking at alternatives is that I won't always be so fit and able, so going lighter weight using a lighter pole like a extreme that is hoseless and a long reel is very attractive to me in the future.

been thinking about using my gardiner back pack with a reel attached in some way, still much to be worked out but it's nice to know it's plausible.

You can do exactly the same with your gardiners backpack. 

Sooner the better as it will keep you fitter with less strains. 

?

We wish you the best.

@spruce you've ruined the surprise hehe, progress is always a good thing at least you've saved me some time typing so I can copy and paste it in the future.

I do have a good reach so fronts are okay most of the time, you can quote me on this I vow to always trad bottoms!

?

We wish you the best.
Tbh you are absolutely dead on mate. I’m going through this process right now, I wasn’t planning on using wfp on bottom windows to conserve water but I ended up learning that it’s way faster to just wfp it all. I am now looking at getting van as working from my car is tiresome lugging barrells round etc. Then once I have a van & my rounds bigger I want a pure water system installed, will

make the job so much easier than how I’m having to graft right now. The lugging barrels and backpack around is the hardest part of my job right now not doing the actual windows ?

Tbh you are absolutely dead on mate. I’m going through this process right now, I wasn’t planning on using wfp on bottom windows to conserve water but I ended up learning that it’s way faster to just wfp it all. I am now looking at getting van as working from my car is tiresome lugging barrells round etc. Then once I have a van & my rounds bigger I want a pure water system installed, will

make the job so much easier than how I’m having to graft right now. The lugging barrels and backpack around is the hardest part of my job right now not doing the actual windows ?

We have all been there to a greater or lessor extent.

If I'd have known then what I know now I would have done things totally differently. Here are some of my 'regrets'.

For starters, I would have sold my Suzuki Carry van and bought a van better suited as a van mount for wfp.

I wouldn't have had a trailer system even although its what got me into wfp. It was dealer supplied, expensive for what it was and fell to bits in 3 years as it wasn't fit for purpose. I also wouldn't have battled for so long processing water directly into the trailer's tanks. I would have purchased an IBC tank and transfer pump straight away.

When Williamson pumps first introduced Varistream controllers I didn't buy one as I thought it was an expensive gimmick. I didn't realise how much having one would save water wise and how much extra work I could do a day using that 'saved' water.

I would have gone for a 4040 rather than battle on with my 450GPD for years 'rationing water'.

I would have bought a proper smart battery charger straight away rather than try to use a car battery charger to charge my leisure batteries.

I would have bought an SLX pole before I did (started with a CLX and bought an SLX for my son.)

23 hours ago, Green Pro Clean Ltd said:

Part way between back pack and van mount idea.

I use a van mount but my son my son uses 25l drums electric reels and a cheap pump and controller also the intake he uses two hoses connected together with a ‘y’ piece with cheap strainers filters less barrel changes. The only con is he sometimes get air locks when changing barrels but as a rectus fitting on the reel intake so a quick disconnect and a couple of seconds later it cleared. 

I would have bought a proper smart battery charger straight away rather than try to use a car battery charger to charge my leisure batteries.

Any suggestions/links at all please?

Just put my two batteries on to charge for work tomorrow - on my 2 x Halfords car battery chargers! 

I'm sure we have visited this question before with someone else maybe.

Here's my concern. The spec says it will charge a 60 amph battery in approx 16 hours. I don't see any other detail, ie. how flat the battery was that takes 16 hours to charge, etc. So lets push the boat out on this one.

My leisure battery is much bigger than the 60 amp battery mentioned in the description Mine is 110 amp. The manufacturers of lead acid leisure batteries specify that for battery longevity my battery should never drop below a 50% level of charge. My battery therefore, only has a useable capacity of 55amps.

If I put this charger on my battery with a 50% charge, my battery will not be fully charged the following morning when I'm ready to go to work. So with this in mind I wouldn't even consider this charger.

Halford don't actually say what the charger is rated at, another reason for me not considering it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure we have visited this question before with someone else maybe.

Here's my concern. The spec says it will charge a 60 amph battery in approx 16 hours. I don't see any other detail, ie. how flat the battery was that takes 16 hours to charge, etc. So lets push the boat out on this one.

My leisure battery is much bigger than the 60 amp battery mentioned in the description Mine is 110 amp. The manufacturers of lead acid leisure batteries specify that for battery longevity my battery should never drop below a 50% level of charge. My battery therefore, only has a useable capacity of 55amps.

If I put this charger on my battery with a 50% charge, my battery will not be fully charged the following morning when I'm ready to go to work. So with this in mind I wouldn't even consider this charger.

Halford don't actually say what the charger is rated at, another reason for me not considering it.

Thanks for the informative post, it's certainly something that I didn't know about.

My batteries are always fully charged that evening/next morning (ready for work) but I do often wonder if I should be charging them every single evening? I do get about 8 hours a day usage from them though.

These are the ones that I use :

IMG_0242.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the informative post, it's certainly something that I didn't know about.

My batteries are always fully charged that evening/next morning (ready for work) but I do often wonder if I should be charging them every single evening? I do get about 8 hours a day usage from them though.

These are the ones that I use :

View attachment 16753

Those batteries are tiny so that charger should be able to completely charge them.

Your experience has shown your charger works doing this job. If you were to ask me if the linked charger is suitable to charge those batteries, I wouldn't know and there are no specs listed for the charger.

Back