Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Transit custom or Renault Traffic

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I have the new transit custom with a 650 tank in it.

The van is great to drive and handles the weight very well and in my opinion looks the better van out the two.

I borrowed a 2017 LWB Vivaro with a 650 system in it when mine was being fitted a couple of weeks back and the transit is a much, much better drive.The interior and features on the custom also out weigh that of the vivaro.

Can you not fill up at a mates house for the time being or have a static set up at a relatives house. 

1mm jets my friend I use around a 1/3 less water than you would use those big old 2mm jets, no univalve or owt complicated just nip the hose between some windows as well. ?

I did try 1 mm jets but didn’t get on with them , found it was like using a pressurewasher ??? also we do a lot of costal work with loads of salt on the glass we need a decent flow and volume of water to remove it , totaly agree about squeezing the hose I did try a univalve but it only lasted a few months and at £30 a go with around 18 poles in 3 vans would cost a small fortune , in my opinion the univalve isn’t needed , it’s a piece of cake just pinch the hose why make life complicated and something else to go wrong .

Sorry not read the rest of the thread...

Transit. Go Ford over Renault without a doubt. Ford make reliable solid engines. Renault make lovely comfortable stuff often full of gadgets and gizmos but their mechanical stuff is usually like a chocolate teapot.

Unless Renault pair up with Volvo again and start installing Volvo power plants in their vehicles once more they're just not worth the hassle.

I have the new transit custom with a 650 tank in it.

The van is great to drive and handles the weight very well and in my opinion looks the better van out the two.

I borrowed a 2017 LWB Vivaro with a 650 system in it when mine was being fitted a couple of weeks back and the transit is a much, much better drive.The interior and features on the custom also out weigh that of the vivaro.
Yeh I love the look of them. Had one as a courtesy van last summer with a 650 hot water ionics system in. Loved the van. 

I went to the Ford dealer afterwards,  couple of chats over the phone etc, but putting down nearly 4K, then kitting out the van then paying £300 a month for 5 years I just couldn’t bring myself to committing. Was very tempted though but thought I’d give my caddy another 2-3 years to continue to build up the business & save. Custom will definitely be my next van though.

Which spec & year did you get? How much did you pay for it? Outright or finance? 

We've got 3 customs and they're lovely to drive either when full or empty. We use Gripptank systems though so that may have something to do with it.

I'm just holding off for the PHEV version to come out before I buy a new one if they can improve on the 1000kg payload though.

We're getting the "ugly transit" as well lol for a commercial setup but I wont be driving that so don't care.

We've got 3 customs and they're lovely to drive either when full or empty. We use Gripptank systems though so that may have something to do with it.

I'm just holding off for the PHEV version to come out before I buy a new one if they can improve on the 1000kg payload though.

We're getting the "ugly transit" as well lol for a commercial setup but I wont be driving that so don't care.
What version customs do you own? Trying to figure out what size I'll need for the minimum payload on a 650ltr tank.

What version customs do you own? Trying to figure out what size I'll need for the minimum payload on a 650ltr tank.

290s and 310s

a 310 or 330 would be ideal for a 650L tank, payloads of 1300kg - 1500kg

or if you go for a 16 plate onwards (euro 6) you can get a 320 or 340 with slightly higher payloads.

I haven’t changed from the Euro 5 engines as the 6’s were plagued with a lot of issues. 

Both 5 and 6’s have issues but the 6 seems to suffer with more. 

Yeh I love the look of them. Had one as a courtesy van last summer with a 650 hot water ionics system in. Loved the van. 

I went to the Ford dealer afterwards,  couple of chats over the phone etc, but putting down nearly 4K, then kitting out the van then paying £300 a month for 5 years I just couldn’t bring myself to committing. Was very tempted though but thought I’d give my caddy another 2-3 years to continue to build up the business & save. Custom will definitely be my next van though.

Which spec & year did you get? How much did you pay for it? Outright or finance? 

I have the 2018 transit custom 300 limited.

cost around £17 + vat.

i have a Grippatank 650 in it.

Euro 5 and Euro 6 will always have trouble with things like dpf filters due to the start stop nature of window cleaning and low miles window cleaners tend to do.

I have the 2018 transit custom 300 limited.

cost around £17 + vat.

i have a Grippatank 650 in it.

Euro 5 and Euro 6 will always have trouble with things like dpf filters due to the start stop nature of window cleaning and low miles window cleaners tend to do.
Nice!. I never really thought of things like that.

Yeh the one i was looking at was a similar price.

I also had a Swb transporter 67 plate first as a courtesy van, but the cleaning system inside (face lift I think) had poor wiring and after a couple of days the batteries weren’t charging. But it was nice to compare a transporter for 8 days then have a custom for 7 days straight after.

I personally thought the transporter actually drove better. A bit more comfortable. And much preferred the lay out of the cab in the front.

But prefer the shape of the custom, and price is considerably cheaper for 2 similar spec vans.

I guess the Custom is only ever really a work van, Vw transporter can be both. As I know a lot more people with a transporter who aren’t tradesmen, then people with customs. 

Nice!. I never really thought of things like that.

Yeh the one i was looking at was a similar price.

I also had a Swb transporter 67 plate first as a courtesy van, but the cleaning system inside (face lift I think) had poor wiring and after a couple of days the batteries weren’t charging. But it was nice to compare a transporter for 8 days then have a custom for 7 days straight after.

I personally thought the transporter actually drove better. A bit more comfortable. And much preferred the lay out of the cab in the front.

But prefer the shape of the custom, and price is considerably cheaper for 2 similar spec vans.

I guess the Custom is only ever really a work van, Vw transporter can be both. As I know a lot more people with a transporter who aren’t tradesmen, then people with customs. 

The VW Transporters are nice no denying that but the equivalent to the limited which is the highline will cost you more but the VW will hold its money better and not depreciate as much and as quick.

The Transporter shape is staring to look a little dated now and I like the features more on the ford like heated seats,heated wind screen and Apple car play.

The good thing with the VW is even after 10years if looked after it will still drive like new only time will tell if the same can be said with the Ford.

The VW Transporters are nice no denying that but the equivalent to the limited which is the highline will cost you more but the VW will hold its money better and not depreciate as much and as quick.

The Transporter shape is staring to look a little dated now and I like the features more on the ford like heated seats,heated wind screen and Apple car play.

The good thing with the VW is even after 10years if looked after it will still drive like new only time will tell if the same can be said with the Ford.
Yeh a customers neighbour has had a transporter sportsline for a couple of years now, he didn’t buy it new either, it’s on a private number plate so not sure how old it is. But sounds & looks brand new still. He’s done it up absolutely mint. He’s not a tradesman either as he’s often in a suit when I see him. 

Overall VW are a little over priced I think. But I’m glad they keep a good price, I’ll be selling my maxi next year maybe.

On 28 March 2019 at 21:50, mark m said:

i have had both vans both great vans my current van is custom 

That is one neat setup.

I particular like your focus on safety with the first aid box neatly and quickly accessible, simply by opening the door.

Unless of course you have emptied its contents and refilled with cans of cheap cider! 

Nice looking van. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone ever bought a van from a wfp supplier with a system pre installed such as grippatank or facelift? I’m gonna be looking for a new van and system soon and think it’s a great idea and very convenient to go this way. Just wandering if there was any cons to this approach? 

Has anyone ever bought a van from a wfp supplier with a system pre installed such as grippatank or facelift? I’m gonna be looking for a new van and system soon and think it’s a great idea and very convenient to go this way. Just wandering if there was any cons to this approach? 
As @THL4KELsaid, you should be able to get a better deal on a van then they will. If I were you I'd ask them to quote for what you want, van and system, and then ask them to quote for system only. Then find the van you want and search around, then compare the prices. You could always get the van delivered to whoever you've chosen for the system.

The cost is a big factor, Streamline had one on Ebay the other day for about 30k.
I’ve had a look and they are not too bad on price and offer really competitive finance packages. Some even let you trade your old van in just as you would going straight to the dealer. 

Latest Posts

Back