Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Univalve versions

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Nice and tidy, saves hacking your hose every time you want to change them

They must have a lucky dip parts guy 
If you want to change the spring you have to remove the hose from the inlet barb. However finding the right spring with the right 'compression' strength will be the challenge.

If you want to change the spring you have to remove the hose from the inlet barb. However finding the right spring with the right 'compression' strength will be the challenge.
Yes springs are a nightmare to match in any form or application, pitch resistance rating diameter length compression travel and so on.

It leaves you with a coiled stomach 

I opened up one of my old ones. The problem definitely is that the spring is very corroded. It doesn't compress and decompress properly, as it's gripping the central shaft too tightly due to the corrosion. 

All the other parts look great. The o rings are fine, no wear to the latching mechanism. All in all, I'm pretty impressed for 3 years use. 

IMG_20210920_190037.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Open up one of my old ones. The problem definitely is that the spring is very corroded. It doesn't compress properly and decompress as it's gripping the central shaft too tightly due to the corrosion. 

All the other parts look great. The o rings are fine, no wear to the latching mechanism. All in all, I'm pretty impressed for 3 years use. 

View attachment 25615
Lol you did better than me mine lasted 8 months and broke haven’t bothered with them since 

I opened up one of my old ones. The problem definitely is that the spring is very corroded. It doesn't compress and decompress properly, as it's gripping the central shaft too tightly due to the corrosion. 

View attachment 25615
I'm guessing they are standard springs and not stainless 

Seems like it. Probably spring steel. I've bought a replacement spring of the same dimensions in stainless steel. I'll see how stiff it is compared to one in a new Univalve.
Have you managed to do this replacement yet?  Mine is leaking, could it be down to the spring? I just normally bin them and get a new one, bit expensive I know?

Have you managed to do this replacement yet?  Mine is leaking, could it be down to the spring? I just normally bin them and get a new one, bit expensive I know?
Yep, cleaned it, replaced the spring and both o rings and lubricated it with good quality silicone grease. Now working like new ?

I had to buy in bulk as individually they're pretty expensive as they're all very unusual sizes and hard to source cheaply. 

I made a custom opening tool for them too so I don't damage them while opening them. 

VID_20211006_170214.mp4

Attachments

• VID_20211006_170214.mp4
    6.6 MB
Yep, cleaned it, replaced the spring and both o rings and lubricated it with good quality silicone grease. Now working like new ?

I had to buy in bulk as individually they're pretty expensive as they're all very unusual sizes and hard to source cheaply. 

I made a custom opening tool for them too so I don't damage them while opening them. 

VID_20211006_170214.mp4 6.62 MB · 0 downloads
Looks very easy with your printed tool. Have you started selling refurb kits on ebay yet?

Yes just bend it over between windows and if putting the pole down stick it in the end of the pole . 
Ok. Do you do that between each window then. I suppose you get used to it. 

Excellent. 

Looks very easy with your printed tool. Have you started selling refurb kits on ebay yet?
No, I was actually wondering about that, but don't know if there'd be any issue with exceed? ? 

Seen as the stainless spring works just as well, I'm wondering if the springs are intended to only last a couple of years to sell more replacements.. Its not good business to make something that lasts forever! ?

It would be cheaper and easier for people to buy a kit, than sourcing all the parts individually. 

I opened the first one after 10 minutes and a lot of scratches and damage so wanted something to open them neater.

Ok. Do you do that between each window then. I suppose you get used to it. 

Excellent. 
Yes been doing it that way for over 15 years ,obviously you do waist water when extending or lowering the pole but it’s minimal , I find it works well evan when I had the univalve I wasn’t that keen on it sometimes it took several pulls to turn water on or off sort of defeated the object of having it , also Steve did say it shouldn’t be used on pole longer than 30 feet . 

Awesome update mate, will you be selling service kits 

No, I was actually wondering about that, but don't know if there'd be any issue with exceed? ? 

Seen as the stainless spring works just as well, I'm wondering if the springs are intended to only last a couple of years to sell more replacements.. Its not good business to make something that lasts forever! ?

I would be cheaper and easier for people to buy a kit, than sourcing all the parts individually. 

I opened the first one after 10 minutes and a lot of scratches and damage so wanted something to open them neater.
I can't see there being a legal issue but morally not sure. Might be worth asking Exceed if they can supply them with stainless springs or if they sell repair kits and see what response you get. If they won't supply a stainless version or a repair kit then I would be inclined to field test your univalve for a few months then if all well sell refurb kits (pointing out they are not original parts).

Environmentally it makes so much sense to fix things as opposed to throwing them away. In fact didn't the EU pass a law about manufacturers of domestic stuff have to supply parts for a certain number of years, 6 maybe. Mind you they never legislated how much the replacements would cost ? !!! 

Back