Upstairs flats when you don't do the downstairs one below.

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by Beccy, May 4, 2015.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Beccy

Beccy Active Member

What do you do about the downstairs ones that get dripped on?

I have been just giving them a wee rinse so they aren't any worse than before I dripped on them, but someone said they could always tell I'd been as I left their windows dirty.

It wasn't too bad as far as complaints go, as I ended up getting hired by her! But it got me thinking.

What do you all do? I'd feel bad for the paying customers if I cleaned then properly for nothing.

Advertisement
  2. Alien Human

My approach now is to keep my mouth shut, be courteous, apologise & move on......if the person still says 'But what about my windows'....then repeat the above.

3. spruce

spruce Grand Master

If the windows below are dirty then I leave them. If they are clean I will put the brush over the glass only. Depending on the wind some glass will not get wet. I won't clean those.

4. Tuffers

Tuffers Hero

I have an upstairs maisonette and I go over just the glass on the one below where it's dripped. Nice of the fella to give me a bottle of whisky at Xmas for going over his windows for free...not. It does peeve me that upstairs pays for hers to be cleaned and because I drip water onto his, he don't pay and has never offered. I think I might start leaving the below one and see what he says.

5. cheapncheerful

great post beccy not a clue as I dont have any like that but nice to hear your still going strong...no doubt with your little helper...:D

surely if you just rinsed it off before it drys the result would be the same as before...

6. BenjiRixon

BenjiRixon Active Member

I'd say so what happens when it rains, it's no difference

7. Duncs

Duncs Grand Master

as the guys have said if the windows are clean quickly jusy go over them its only minutes
    one old dear kicked of with me when i left hers looking **** so to save hassle just gave them quick clean

8. Jonathan Sanderson

Jonathan Sanderson Active Member

I don't clean any upstairs flats for this reason now.

Too many houses to clean without messing with upstairs flats.

9. Poles Apart

Just tell em your waters a lot cleaner than what the good Lord is throwing onto them

10. spruce

spruce Grand Master

But the occupants of the downstairs flat will not see it that way. If you are cleaning the flat above then you are depositing the dirt on their windows.

By cleaning the downstairs windows I'm actually helping my customer as I'm keeping their neighbours happy. I also didn't mention that an upstairs flat will be a couple of pounds more expensive than what I would normally charge for that job. If I get the downstairs flat, then that little extra goes into the mental kitty for the flat that I clean for free.

I have about 12 upstairs flats on the round and I clean the bottoms of 2 of them for free. So the extra balances itself out in the end.

Advertisement