Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Using underfloor rollers?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Without seeing the job it’s hard to say they could all be difficult access or all very easy , also travel time to and from the job will affect the price on commercial I charge for that as well between jobs if I can , 70  windows shouldn’t take long once up to speed we do a nursing home with 120 windows which includes a conservatory and conservatory roof ,takes 1 hour 20 muinits every clean the roof is always a nightmare , that’s £125 every 6 weeks , I think that’s very cheap I haven’t increased the price in 5 years .
Seems very cheap but mine is every 4 months but if it was every 6 weeks I would charge a ton and race round them. I think the big point is the insides and I don't think the company wants to clean the inside. Insides increase the risk factor sky high but it would be a waste of time if the insides were not cleaned. I would say a day's work for both and £350 is a nice earner for a day's work. ?

Seems very cheap but mine is every 4 months but if it was every 6 weeks I would charge a ton and race round them. I think the big point is the insides and I don't think the company wants to clean the inside. Insides increase the risk factor sky high but it would be a waste of time if the insides were not cleaned. I would say a day's work for both and £350 is a nice earner for a day's work. ?
Are you sure the inside clean is all windows? Usually the internal windows are only the communal ones.

Are you sure the inside clean is all windows? Usually the internal windows are only the communal ones.
Its a private care home so I guess the owner needs to clean their windows but a good point which I will verify on the quote. Communal areas are usually cleaned by the cleaner which happens in the housing association one I clean. The residents have to pay to get their own windows cleaned in that one.

Its a private care home so I guess the owner needs to clean their windows but a good point which I will verify on the quote. Communal areas are usually cleaned by the cleaner which happens in the housing association one I clean. The residents have to pay to get their own windows cleaned in that one.
You would probably need a full DBS Check or someone would need to be with you if you do their personal rooms

Doesn't need putting up in my book ?
It’s not gone up for 5 years I think that’s quite cheap compared to other similar stuff we do , but dont want to rock the boat as we have a nice little amount of work around the place we have 6 big houses and a couple of bungalows and the nursing home it’s 7 miles away from home but is a nice mornings work and right by the sea so good views at lunch time ?? 

We do, not currently, 3 internal open air courtyards where we have to take the trolley through the homes. Even walking through them, takes a minute, is hot and smelly. Couldn't work in them for any length of time.
We do communal internal windows on all our anchor/Hannover housing and a couple of care homes , only beacause it’s part of the contract I wouldn’t do it out of choice , at the moment it’s external windows only that suite me down to the ground ??

I completely get the idea of having through floor rollers allowing the van doors to be locked and no reel outside. What I don't know is when you finish a job do you reel all your hose back inside the van and then on next job thread the hose through the floor rollers and reach under the van and grab the hose or is there something I am missing?

I did think maybe some have something to hold the hose on the outside by the bumper? If so does the hose get damaged from stone chips or dragging on ground etc?

Cheers for any help.
I put the pole in the van still attached, reel it in until tight and close the door on the pole hose, doesn’t move anywhere... if I was to go on a long journey I’d detach it.

I've looked into this, using the search bar so you're getting a paddlin ??

Nah but seriously, some have said about using crocodile clips to stop the hose coming loose. I think @Pjj has something where it plugs back into the system.

I've gone for these;

https://www.grippatank.co.uk/grippareel-roller-guide-floor-kit-th

haven't used them of course as I'm awaiting fitting. I plan to drop the hose through at each job. My biggest concern was the hose coming loose through the floor as you drive alone and wrapping around the wheel or something, unlikely but not impossible.

I chose those ones from Grippa as I read about the waterworks ones bending in use as they only have 2 bars where the Grippa ones have 4.
Have the waterworks ones on my vans, wouldn't rate them, there bent! 

But we just unclip every time used, depending on jobs, locations, depends what rollers we use.

I prefer using under floor most of the time though! 

Have the waterworks ones on my vans, wouldn't rate them, there bent! 

But we just unclip every time used, depending on jobs, locations, depends what rollers we use.

I prefer using under floor most of the time though! 
We use the Grippatank ones now the gap is much wider as well between the rollers  

We use the Grippatank ones now the gap is much wider as well between the rollers  
I know you work with 3 reels. Do you have 3 roller guides at the back door ? Was contemplating adding a 3rd in the middle but didn’t know if it would be in the way or not 

Good luck getting £300 for 70 windows, you'll have @Pjj jealous if you do. I don't know what prices are like in your area but the £600 is probably more then their full years budget.

Would think 70 windows is a little over an hours work.
I'd be in the care home if I tried to clean 70 windows in a little over an hour. ?

Care homes want it done for nothing. Most run on a shoe string because the owners take everything financially they can out. That's personal experience when my mother was in a care home. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be in the care home if I tried to clean 70 windows in a little over an hour. ?

Care homes want it done for nothing. Most run on a shoe string because the owners take everything financially they can out. That's personal experience when my mother was in a care home. 
Aye give me 10 semis any day. I will ask £150 for outside and £200 for inside and see how it goes. I don't need the work but its handy being a mile away.

We do 2 side by side on the outskirts of Middlesbrough, opposite side of you. They were about to be told there prices were  going up but the Covid situation means I don't do the internal courtyard, takes 30 minutes. I do expect to lose them though when I have to do the internal courtyard and put the price up. 

I know you work with 3 reels. Do you have 3 roller guides at the back door ? Was contemplating adding a 3rd in the middle but didn’t know if it would be in the way or not 
We have 2 fixed reels per van going through the floor , and also have 3 ports under the van if using up to a total of 5 reels ,but normally it’s just 4 reels used at any one time . 

Back