Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

van hunting time!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Sorry to highjack the thread but my friend was asking today if anyone was looking for a WC van. His stepfather is selling his old 2015 Renault Van. 123k miles. Streamline system.
. I cant speak for the quality of it or anything as I don’t know it, but when he asked I thought of this thread. I’ll link the gumtree below.

Last edited:
Sorry to highjack the thread but my friend was asking today if anyone was looking for a WC van. His stepfather is selling his old 2015 Renault Van. 123k miles. Streamline system. Heated. I cant speak for the quality of it or anything as I don’t know it, but when he asked I thought of this thread. I’ll link the gumtree below.

I think the link is: https://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans...tent=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=sms

It's not hot water just a diesel heater to protect against frost I think. Looks nicely setup.

I'm looking into this at the moment. I'm intrigued by the different opinions.

My main interest is: I need a reliable van kitted out, ready to go. I'm buying a round including trolleys barrells poles etc. but want a hybrid van with tank set up and put the trolleys in the van to cover the pedestrians streets.

So I'm thinking leasing a new van from streamline, all kitted out. there roughly £40k all in, and will provide use for 10-15 years. that's only £3.5k-£4k a year for a reliable runner which can be deductible from profits. Surely that's a logical thing to do, rather than buying a van with 100k miles on which may not start in the middle of winter...

thoughts????

@GeordieSea I know of window cleaners who swear by leasing vans, and others who would never do it. I understand both to be honest. If you've got plenty of work for that period of time you may be ok. But it is a very long time. Are you adding the round your buying to existing work? If you're brand new to window cleaning you may be better off installing your equipment in a van that you are only tied to for a couple of years, but others on here will be better placed to advise than me.

@GeordieSea I know of window cleaners who swear by leasing vans, and others who would never do it. I understand both to be honest. If you've got plenty of work for that period of time you may be ok. But it is a very long time. Are you adding the round your buying to existing work? If you're brand new to window cleaning you may be better off installing your equipment in a van that you are only tied to for a couple of years, but others on here will be better placed to advise than me.
I'm not starting out. picking up work bit by bit. I'm purchasing a round from a retiring window cleaner who has an established round. As soon as I step in I will be full time 5 days a week. So I need a reliable vehicle that won't break down. with equipment that won't break down short term.

I think secondly hand van or equipment is risky. I can guarantee my work will be constant as long as my equipment and van doesn't let me down.

I see the sense in buying cheap and making do, keeping cost down it has its risks. Yes a new van will depreciate short term, I look at at it over a 10-15 year period. It will be paid off within 5 years, then I'll have 10 years to save up for the next van.

I'm looking into this at the moment. I'm intrigued by the different opinions.

My main interest is: I need a reliable van kitted out, ready to go. I'm buying a round including trolleys barrells poles etc. but want a hybrid van with tank set up and put the trolleys in the van to cover the pedestrians streets.

So I'm thinking leasing a new van from streamline, all kitted out. there roughly £40k all in, and will provide use for 10-15 years. that's only £3.5k-£4k a year for a reliable runner which can be deductible from profits. Surely that's a logical thing to do, rather than buying a van with 100k miles on which may not start in the middle of winter...

thoughts????
Leasing a van is high risk and alot of money for something that isn't really yours and you'll never really see any profitability in your work as you'll be paying for the van.

Personally I wouldn't lease I have done it in the past and it's dead money, Streamline personally I wouldn't touch them either, depending on what size van you are envisaging having will depend on what you need to go for,

Using a trolley with barrels etc is a ball-ache and you'd sharp get sick of going back and forth from the van, I used a trolley for a good few years and was glad to be rid of it, absolutely nothing wrong with running 100 metres of hose out on any road along the footpath, I have done it for years,

I work solely on my own and have done so for over 24 years if you ain't employing then you could go for a Citroen Berlingo sized van, I have 19 plate one with a 650 payload and have a Facelift 425ltr compact system fitted and only do window cleaning, a berlingo with around 30k on the clock can be bought for around £14,000 a Facelift system is currently £2,143.00 from Window Cleaning Warehouse I had mine fitted at my local garage.

I've just bought a 23 plate Peugeot Partner LWB, which had 87 miles on the clock and 2 years manufacturer's warranty, for £21k Inc VAT.
I wouldn't like to rely on any van lasting 15 years, especially one that works hard like ours do. I budget for 8 years max, from new.
Would prefer to get a business loan for £30k, if you can, rather than leasing a van. Would think that would be around £750 a month, max, over 5 years, and the van is then yours.

Personally I'd rather lease.small payment upfront(usually 3 months rental)then £200+ per month thereafter which is easily affordable for most of us,tax deductible too.

I'd never buy a second hand,high mileage van these days.brand new every time.

I also do this with my cars.i get a new one every 3 years.just took delivery of a black cupra formentor.I absolutely love it and so does the missus!she's named it Dazmondos bat mobile!🤣🤣🤣

I also go on a few 5 star holidays every year while I can....we ll all be dead soon....😎👍

High risk?why?I make plenty of profit cleaning windows but I don't want to spend a large amount of money in one go to drive a decent,reliable van...£200+ is less than a full day's work for most of us....🤣👍

Oh yeah I said that I would type a review of my van. Well Its been an absolute pleasure to own and drive. The perfect size for what I need it for. It has a handy little flap you can open in the bulk head for longer items which is great for my really long unger optiloc pole. Plenty of grunt even when fully loaded. Not quite as economical as my old van which was larger and slightly heavier which is wierd. Very smooth. lovely interior ie half leather seats, nice plastics on dash. Lots of useful features like hill assist, aircon and a kicking sound system with dab radio. Can`t take to the stop start feature though but can turn this off manually. Nice and comfy. Well sprung suspension. It handles like a car ie very little body roll.

Would I recommend to other windies? Hell yes. By the way its a standard wheel base pug expert mk3 2.0 diesel. My old van being a mk2 long wheel base 2 ltr expert

as you dont know whether you are going to even like the trade better off buying a beater at least the first year . Somebody i know leapt in and within 2 yrs is out of it altogether cost him[or his pop a fortune .

id never lease unless youv no brain its better to get a bank loan buy outright long as youve been a good customer of the bank .My dad and i know the manager well and his staff. We bought 2 ex demo merc vans from the local dealer who DID A CRACKING DEAL dad plays pool with HIM in italy most Xmass since the 70s

I'm not starting out. picking up work bit by bit. I'm purchasing a round from a retiring window cleaner who has an established round. As soon as I step in I will be full time 5 days a week. So I need a reliable vehicle that won't break down. with equipment that won't break down short term.

I think secondly hand van or equipment is risky. I can guarantee my work will be constant as long as my equipment and van doesn't let me down.

I see the sense in buying cheap and making do, keeping cost down it has its risks. Yes a new van will depreciate short term, I look at at it over a 10-15 year period. It will be paid off within 5 years, then I'll have 10 years to save up for the next van.
@GeordieSea fair enough mate. You know your work best. I agree it's very frustrating the worries of breakdowns etc. How long is the lease with streamline? I have no experience of them or of leasing either. I know some window cleaning suppliers do leasing and the kit is already installed . I assume there's a reasonable mark up in it for them too. I don't know if it maybe with leasing with a van dealer directly and then installing a system yourself might save you money but you'd still have all new stuff?

Back