Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

vans, tanks, payload the age old topic

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I'm having a good old ding dong on the Arb Forum. I have always had this fantastic ability to upset folk with the slightest thing. Its to do with Stihl making the first magnesium piston chainsaw. All I said was Audi made a magnesium head and the engine went on fire and I eventually put it out with tons of water. That started the ball rolling, do you think Stihl would spend all that money if it wasn't tested? I said obviously VW did and big companies do the silliest of things now like the emissions scandal. Its still going on but we will find out in a few years if it works. ?
 A slight, but related sidetrack on your conversation about flammable magnesium.

I have a magnesium bar/Ferro rod for firelighting when I haul out for a brew when I'm sea kayaking and for lighting my old paraffin Primus camping stove. I imported it from America as they vary in quality. I did some research to get the best I could. It's a six inches x half inch metal rod. I don't know the science of how a metal bar will burn but it's totally reliable and the sparks are extremely hot. Hot enough to scorch/pit my steel knife, the spine of which I use as a striker. They will still work even if wet, which is one of the main reasons I bought one for sea kayaking.

The method is to place the spine of the knife firmly against the bar near the top and slide the knife down fast and hard. This scrapes off a tiny amount of dusty, magnesium shavings and if done with enough speed will create extremely hot sparks which I focus onto some cotton wool damped in a little meths.

Plenty footage on YouTube of these being used, under the subject ; Nathan 4071 Ferro Rod Fire Starters, if anyone apart from me is interested.⚓??

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone using new Citroen Berlingo M 1000? 1000kg should alow to fit 500l tank? Any pictures of your berlingo setups please? Thanks ?

Cant decide between Custoom with 650l or much cheaper and easier to park Berlingo with 500l... ?
Nobody can advise you what you should do. You know your round, we don't. Even in the North East there are roads in our area where parking is very difficult, especially if you clean over weekends when everyone is at home. Other areas; no problem at all.

The interesting thing I found is that there probably isn't that much difference between the overall length of either vehicle when compared to each other. The overall difference between a swb and mwb Citroën Relay 15 years ago was 350mm.

My son has the old Berlingo 800LX. He has a 500 litre tank in the back of it. Its road legal with a full tank. He will go overweight if I climb in. 500 litres was more than enough for him and son-in-law to do a full day's work on their own. (Son in law had a T220lwb Transit Connect before he moved on.)

A slight, but related sidetrack on your conversation about flammable magnesium.

I have a magnesium bar/Ferro rod for firelighting when I haul out for a brew when I'm sea kayaking and for lighting my old paraffin Primus camping stove. I imported it from America as they vary in quality. I did some research to get the best I could. It's a six inches x half inch metal rod. I don't know the science of how a metal bar will burn but it's totally reliable and the sparks are extremely hot. Hot enough to scorch/pit my steel knife, the spine of which I use as a striker. They will still work even if wet, which is one of the main reasons I bought one for sea kayaking.

The method is to place the spine of the knife firmly against the bar near the top and slide the knife down fast and hard. This scrapes off a tiny amount of dusty, magnesium shavings and if done with enough speed will create extremely hot sparks which I focus onto some cotton wool damped in a little meths.

Plenty footage on YouTube of these being used, under the subject ; Nathan 4071 Ferro Rod Fire Starters, if anyone apart from me is interested.⚓??
We have had a few fires involving magnesium and it’s very difficult to put out , burnes  fiercely, especially in helicopter chassis . And very bright white light , some car wheels are also magnesium.  

Latest Posts

Back