Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

vans, tanks, payload the age old topic

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Do the people with older vans think their reliability is down to low mileage? I see lots of vans for sale at moment with mega miles in excess of 150K+. Not sure if I would trust a newer van with 150K miles or a significantly older one with 80K more? I suppose parts might be easier on a newer van but as time goes on accountants get way too involved in the price of stuff and quality drops?

What do you think:

5 year old van with 150K on

Or

10 year old van with 80K on?

Do the people with older vans think their reliability is down to low mileage? I see lots of vans for sale at moment with mega miles in excess of 150K+. Not sure if I would trust a newer van with 150K miles or a significantly older one with 80K more? I suppose parts might be easier on a newer van but as time goes on accountants get way too involved in the price of stuff and quality drops?

What do you think:

Or

Now I know its meant to be impossible to fiddle the mileage, but it always seems the trade vehicles have amazingly low miles compared to from private sellers.

What do you think:

Or

I really don't know mate. My 2007 Peugeot expert has 150k on the clock but hasn't been that reliable. There's been a few electrical issues. Having said that. It could have been used and abused by the previous owner. Sometimes it's the luck of the draw. I know accountants can have a big effect on quality. This happened with mercedes. 

When I was speaking to my mechanic. He said the newer stuff isn't as reliable and he reckoned it might be down to components being recycled several times and causing the materials to weaken.

What do you think:

Or

Mine's 14 years. 180k miles I think, last time I looked. Had a working life as a commercial fleet van before I bought it a few years ago. With no hesitation I'd trust it to go anywhere, any time.

I think it's wise to go with a make and model you have good reason to trust and your own gut instincts. Beyond that, there's driving style and proper maintenance. And beyond that, there's always the chance of picking up a lemon. That goes for new or used vehicles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing wrong with old bangers. I have never owned a car or van less then 10 years old. I kind of like it actually. Less depreciation and if you knock it you don't care so much
I used to be like that.....now I just lease new cars every 3 years....I'm chopping in my golf GTD for another new one next month...the new one will be the same but in metallic dolphin grey and DSG this time....??

As for vans I bought a brand new one 4 years ago and it's only got 13k on the clock!itll last me many years..I'll be happy if I get 15 years out of it...

Sick of messing about with old cars and vans these days....esp vans....I dont want to be swapping out my system every few years...

Now I know its meant to be impossible to fiddle the mileage, but it always seems the trade vehicles have amazingly low miles compared to from private sellers.
I believe it's very simple to tweak the mileage if you have the right kit.

Vans mileages are much more difficult to actually see as their use is very different to a normal car. Some are multidrop so have very hard life other spend hrs on motorway and have easy life. It's almost like high mileage with stone chips on bonnet are a good sign  on a van! 

Always a gamble though.

Do the people with older vans think their reliability is down to low mileage? I see lots of vans for sale at moment with mega miles in excess of 150K+.
My original Vivaro, I've had it 10 years, has 150k+ on it and I don't trust it as a spare van. Trouble with old window cleaning vans is they've had a much harder life then 95% of other vans.

My van is over 11 years old now and scared to get rid of it. Today in the local paper another 2 transits got nicked, used to be one a month but now its two a month. I wonder what they do with them? ?

I believe it's very simple to tweak the mileage if you have the right kit.

Vans mileages are much more difficult to actually see as their use is very different to a normal car. Some are multidrop so have very hard life other spend hrs on motorway and have easy life. It's almost like high mileage with stone chips on bonnet are a good sign  on a van! 

Always a gamble though.
It’s not that easy anymore to clock mileage every year the vehicle goes for  mot the mileage is logged with DVLA so any changes to speedo reeding will show up instantly on the computer 

So you fitted a 5 grand hot water system in a 10 year old van??

That doesn't make sense to me 
I only do 5k miles a year and my mate is a mechanic so its only done 77k miles. I bought it when it was 18 months old from dealer and paid £14,200 cash with 20k on clock and I take care of things. Got the bottom resprayed recently so it looks good. It was a 10 grand 2 man hot water system which paid for itself in first year. If I get a new van then all I do is swap it over but I tend to run my vehicles into the ground so if I expand I will buy a maintenance vehicle. Tomorrow I have to meet someone who owns a waste management company to do some maintenance. Might turn out well as they have plenty of sites. ?

Go on! I dare you to ask. Has it got the same fuel in the tank it had when you bought it?

Last edited by a moderator:
So you fitted a 5 grand hot water system in a 10 year old van??

That doesn't make sense to me 
I bought a second hand diesel heater some 6 years ago 'spares or repair.' I didn't fix it and fit it into my old 04 plate van because I was never too sure whether it would pass the next MOT test or not. It passed the next 4 MOT's. ?

When the van finally failed on rust it didn't matter how many holes were left in the floor. The van was scrap value. I wish I had fitted it tbh.

Just take it out and swap it over into the next van as I did my tank.

I bought a second hand diesel heater some 6 years ago 'spares or repair.' I didn't fix it and fit it into my old 04 plate van because I was never too sure whether it would pass the next MOT test or not. It passed the next 4 MOT's. ?

When the van finally failed on rust it didn't matter how many holes were left in the floor. The van was scrap value. I wish I had fitted it tbh.

Just take it out and swap it over into the next van as I did my tank.
I'm having a good old ding dong on the Arb Forum. I have always had this fantastic ability to upset folk with the slightest thing. Its to do with Stihl making the first magnesium piston chainsaw. All I said was Audi made a magnesium head and the engine went on fire and I eventually put it out with tons of water. That started the ball rolling, do you think Stihl would spend all that money if it wasn't tested? I said obviously VW did and big companies do the silliest of things now like the emissions scandal. Its still going on but we will find out in a few years if it works. ?

I'm having a good old ding dong on the Arb Forum. I have always had this fantastic ability to upset folk with the slightest thing. Its to do with Stihl making the first magnesium piston chainsaw. All I said was Audi made a magnesium head and the engine went on fire and I eventually put it out with tons of water. That started the ball rolling, do you think Stihl would spend all that money if it wasn't tested? I said obviously VW did and big companies do the silliest of things now like the emissions scandal. Its still going on but we will find out in a few years if it works. ?
VW Beetle engine and gearbox casings have been made out of magnesium for 50+ years.

Anyone using new Citroen Berlingo M 1000? 1000kg should alow to fit 500l tank? Any pictures of your berlingo setups please? Thanks ?

Cant decide between Custoom with 650l or much cheaper and easier to park Berlingo with 500l... ?

Latest Posts

Back