Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Wash & reach in pouring rain

WCF

Help Support WCF:

i disagree......the number 1 reason why some window cleaners dont work in the rain is because they think the customers wont like it....to be fair one or two dont and ive even lost the odd job here and there because i cleaned windows on a rainy day but these are very few and far between.....

when you ve been cleaning windows for years in the rain your customers dont bat an eyelid.....it becomes normal.....

the issue we all had in the trad days was using a soapy solution which can easily leave marks on the windows once you ve used a squeegee on it and then rain lands on it....we dont have that issue with WFP THANK GOD!!
That is correct but some people also dont like working in the rain , a lot of window cleaners will never work in the rain, on the other hand a lot will, A lot of window cleaners put there rounds on hold this time of the year, they pause for 1-2 months and then go again come March , and yes once your customers know you work in the rain it becomes normal and its best when we pick up customers in the rain , it tells you that this customer is a keeper and will not complain if it rains lol.

That is correct but some people also dont like working in the rain , a lot of window cleaners will never work in the rain, on the other hand a lot will, A lot of window cleaners put there rounds on hold this time of the year, they pause for 1-2 months and then go again come March , and yes once your customers know you work in the rain it becomes normal and its best when we pick up customers in the rain , it tells you that this customer is a keeper and will not complain if it rains lol.
I don’t see how a window cleaner who has a mortgage, kids to feed and bills to pay  could put work on hold for a couple of months , I don’t know of any , if someone is doing it to top up there pension then maybe , my customers expect us every 4/8 weeks I have been a bit behind recently and had dozens of calls asking why we hadn’t been ,they want a 12 month service not 10 , ??

I don’t see how a window cleaner who has a mortgage, kids to feed and bills to pay  could put work on hold for a couple of months , I don’t know of any , if someone is doing it to top up there pension then maybe , my customers expect us every 4/8 weeks I have been a bit behind recently and had dozens of calls asking why we hadn’t been ,they want a 12 month service not 10 , ??
The amount of work i pick up on a daily basis throughout the winter months because the customer says "our window cleaner has dissapeared" always happens, A lot of window cleaners (mainly old school window cleaners) do hang the tools up for the winter and come back in the summer , i think it happens a lot in the North East, i dont think it happens to much up your way

I certainly don't know any seasonal window cleaners. I don't know any who don't have the nuts to clean in the rain either. Being willing to work in the rain is a very low measuring stick of courage in my opinion.
My definition of courage is a fireman being prepared to put himself in harms way to enter a building on fire to affect a rescue. A lifeboat crew putting to sea in a storm. A soldier in a conflict zone.  An NHS worker trying to keep us safe in the Chinese plague while worrying for their own wellbeing and that of their families. A kayaking friend of mine who was searching for a suicide victim when he searched a dark sea cave, on his own in a force 5 with an Atlantic sea swell running and retrieved the body clear of the rocks and cliffs to the lifeboat. 

If window cleaning in the rain is the modern definition of courage heaven help us if we get in real trouble again with the general population needing to put themselves in harms way in armed conflict like our predecessors. ?

Just saying

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep...I worked all day in the rain yesterday and will be today....waterproofs on and bluetooth earbuds in for music and crack on.

It's a myth that window cleaners can 'catch up' another time....it simply doesn't happen....unless you like to work weekends or encroach on your leisure/family time then having days off has a knock on affect and you ll lose thousands over the course of a year....

Good post! ?

When I use WFP I have never worked with TDS higher than 3 or 4, usually it is 0. Seem to remember checking the TDS on rain water the other year and it showed a reading of 14. Would never dream of using that High a TDS on windows.

If it's Pishing down all day non stop I ain't going out because it's ? working in such weather, if it's light rain with the odd heavy burst I'll work in it all day if needed, there is balance on residential between maintaining a schedule not pushing the limits if the windows will look no better the next day and taking the Pish. 

I don’t know any window cleaners who stop for a couple of months. What I will say is those that do it on the side drift off. Which is a good thing. Gets rid of them?. 
Working in the rain is up to each window cleaner. I work in light rain and drizzle but I don’t work in heavy rain. Each to their own. No right no wrong way just differences of opinion. When starting up you need to think about this, what will you do if you have mortgage, kids etc. 
A lot of people think  window cleaning is dead easy that’s why we have an influx of people never ever give thought to most common questions, they come on everyday wanting people to set their systems up, tell them what they need, what they should do. They need toad least  put some input first into their own heads. Now I sound old or ranting probably both. ?

Jango said:
Jango said:
To at least

As I’ve already said on here I don’t work in the rain coz I don’t like getting wet. It’s minus 2 where I am this morning. I will be out in that. No gloves! 
It's freezing fog here, really thick, I'll have two pairs of gloves on, thermal waterproof socks, wind proof coat with thermal top, cap... but still in my shorts ?.  No way could I not wear gloves though, fingers still freeze with 2 pairs on.

We work in rain. We won't start the day in anything heavier than light rain.
If it rains once we've started we generally keep going unless it gets heavy. If the forecast is rain for most of the next day we take it as a rest day and go back with renewed vigour when it's eased.

I've done days working for contractors when I got home covered in mud and grit, with nothing dry but the tops of my toes, and it taking an hour in a hot bath to stave off hypothermia. I had no say and no choice. Now son and I decide as we go when or if to call it. We always catch up.

If it's Pishing down all day non stop I ain't going out because it's ? working in such weather, if it's light rain with the odd heavy burst I'll work in it all day if needed, there is balance on residential between maintaining a schedule not pushing the limits if the windows will look no better the next day and taking the Pish. 
The key is the wind.if its heavy rain AND very windy then I usually sack it off....

The last 2 days have been continuous light rain ALL day with virtually no wind so I cracked on...

Dry today but -2 here.....better than rain though!??

Back