Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What are your most painful problems? I might be able to help.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I appreciate that it may be impossible to set up an app to record payment received in a third party account but if you could, you might be onto a winner from my perspective. 
This is a great idea for a feature, and I know exactly how to do it! It's not a trivial thing to build, but it is one of the things OpenBanking enables. Something like this could really set the software apart from the competitors. Bumping this to the top of the feature list!

A word of caution though. Don't get hang up on being the cheapest. I for one understand that costs can escalate, especially if the service is a niche market. 
Wise words indeed! There are so many different ways to structure pricing, choosing the right model can be a tough decision. While I'd like to keep the pricing as simple as possible, I have considered the following as well.

1. Price includes all features but increases for multiple users
2. Multiple packages each with additional features and prices (Think Bronze, Silver & Gold)
3. Freemium model where there is a flat price for basic features but you can turn on new features each at an additional cost.

Would be great to explore other options and thoughts people have on this topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just have a spread sheet with the address in one column, the price in the next column, frequency in the next , and if they owe anything in the last one . I have a master copy with full names , and all contact details for the customer that is just used for reference in the office and on the computer . I don’t get involved with the paperwork my wife does  it all takes her about 1-2 hours per week to update around a 1,000 accounts per week . 
That sounds pretty straightforward for keeping track of your customers but how do you keep track of your round as I'm sure it differs every day? Do you just have your rounds memorised? I've been thinking about how having multiple customers each with different schedules could be tricky to plan. Do you plan out the daily route ahead of time and write that down or load it into a calendar? I've read some reviews of existing software out there and people say how they couldn't live without the automated scheduling the apps provide, I'm very curious how people manage this manually, especially as your customer base grows. 

Personally I think you're aiming too low for feedback, without being disrespectful to 99% of members on here. 

You should be talking to the Franchise's, like @Damo that run multi van business's not the vast majority on here that are 1-3 van set ups where the current IT options suffice.

Possibly an approach to the likes of Quickbooks etc as an add on might be a way forward. Hope you succeed in creating a better system.
Hi Part Timer, thanks for that feedback, you are absolutely right, I think the software adds different value to different size business and perhaps that can be reflected in the feature offering and pricing models.

Appreciate your good wishes, I'm really excited about building something that can make peoples life easier and more efficient by adding real value. This engagement with the community has been extremely valuable and is exactly how I want to drive my company forward.

I thought we had pyshio or GP come on to ask about ailments 
Hi Iron Giant, sorry to disappoint! Probably could have come up with a better title. ? After reading your comment it got me thinking about how taxing the physical nature of the job must be on your back and shoulders. I sit in front of a computer screen writing code for 10 hours a day and only suffer from a bit of eye strain and brain drain! My back is feeling sore just thinking about what it must be like cleaning windows all day!

Last edited by a moderator:
This is one in depth post. I'll continue using my old school A4 day per page diary
Hi Apw1210, this comment reminds me of myth about Nasa spending millions developing a pen that would work in zero gravity, the Russians just used a pencil ?

Seriously though, software systems evolve from traditional processes and a lot can be learnt from how manual systems and spreadsheets work. Is your diary just as simple as customers address and a note if its paid for or not? How much time do you spend planning out your round in your diary? Would love to see a photo of a page, personal details blurred out of course. ?

That sounds pretty straightforward for keeping track of your customers but how do you keep track of your round as I'm sure it differs every day? Do you just have your rounds memorised? I've been thinking about how having multiple customers each with different schedules could be tricky to plan. Do you plan out the daily route ahead of time and write that down or load it into a calendar? I've read some reviews of existing software out there and people say how they couldn't live without the automated scheduling the apps provide, I'm very curious how people manage this manually, especially as your customer base grows. 
We have each days work per van on a printed off sheet   And tick off each job as it’s done and paid  , the day sheets are then stuck in a diary  for a record of actual work done on each day , hope this makes sense 

Hi Iron Giant, sorry to disappoint! Probably could have come up with a better title. ? After reading your comment it got me thinking about how taxing the physical nature of the job must be on your back and shoulders. I sit in front of a computer screen writing code for 10 hours a day and only suffer from a bit of eye strain and brain drain! My back is feeling sore just thinking about what it must be like cleaning windows all day!
i would hate to sit in front of a computer screen all day.....that cant be good for you........i love being outdoors for 5 or 6 hours a day even in winter..pop my bluetooth earbuds in for music/audiobooks and off i go....

no major back or shoulder problems apart from the odd little niggle from time to time and im 50 this year(been window cleaning outside for 28 years)...still got time/energy for weight training a few times a week and playing drums....

like ive said in a previous post this job is easy these days compared to climbing ladders all day and collecting money 3 hours a week!i dont miss them days!

i would hate to sit in front of a computer screen all day.....that cant be good for you........i love being outdoors for 5 or 6 hours a day even in winter..pop my bluetooth earbuds in for music/audiobooks and off i go....

no major back or shoulder problems apart from the odd little niggle from time to time and im 50 this year(been window cleaning outside for 28 years)...still got time/energy for weight training a few times a week and playing drums....

like ive said in a previous post this job is easy these days compared to climbing ladders all day and collecting money 3 hours a week!i dont miss them days!
Yeah I hear you, being sat at a desk all day is not great, I'm jealous of the time you get to spend out doors. I'm lucky if I get out for a run at lunch time! 

We have each days work per van on a printed off sheet   And tick off each job as it’s done and paid  , the day sheets are then stuck in a diary  for a record of actual work done on each day , hope this makes sense 
Makes perfect sense and can totally understand that when you have had a system that has always worked, changing it may seem not worth the effort. It would be great to give you a demo of the software I am building once the first version is ready, I'll also create a video of it in use. You comment also gave me an idea for another feature, having the ability to print out a daily work schedule from the data in the software, also perhaps print out custom slips for each customer. I get these through my postbox all the time.

Yeah I hear you, being sat at a desk all day is not great, I'm jealous of the time you get to spend out doors. I'm lucky if I get out for a run at lunch time! 
I was fitter and healthier when I spent 20 years in the Civil Service than I am now. Doing manual work outside means I'm too tired to do any running or weights like I used to. 

Hi Apw1210, this comment reminds me of myth about Nasa spending millions developing a pen that would work in zero gravity, the Russians just used a pencil ?

Seriously though, software systems evolve from traditional processes and a lot can be learnt from how manual systems and spreadsheets work. Is your diary just as simple as customers address and a note if its paid for or not? How much time do you spend planning out your round in your diary? Would love to see a photo of a page, personal details blurred out of course. ?
Every page is vertically ruled with all the information I need including tick boxes

As we say in the army KISS

Keep it simple stupid

I'm immersed in technology and favor the basics as it works

What this industry needs in my opinion is a software based app that allows the end user to modify it's layout, list of services and payment status that is clear and easy to navigate

The two reasons I don't use any of the existing systems are

pricing, technology reliability and network dependency As not everyone lives in a 3g, 4g, 5g saturated area.

I could build an app for myself overnight with my skills however I'm happy with what I've used for 20 years and if it ain't broke don't fix it

Every page is vertically ruled with all the information I need including tick boxes

Keep it simple stupid

I'm immersed in technology and favor the basics as it works

What this industry needs in my opinion is a software based app that allows the end user to modify it's layout, list of services and payment status that is clear and easy to navigate

pricing, technology reliability and network dependency As not everyone lives in a 3g, 4g, 5g saturated area.

I could build an app for myself overnight with my skills however I'm happy with what I've used for 20 years and if it ain't broke don't fix it
cleaner planner does all that and more already mate....its simple,slick and reliable

This saying has been mentioned a few times in this thread, thinking it might be a good name for the App. I thinking KISSWindows or WindowKISS ?

I'm on it! Would you mind if I reached out to you once I have the first version ready for a demo. Appreciate you not interested in using an App, but would be great to get your thoughts.

Great points and I plan on solving these by coming in at a price point that is attractive, making sure the App works "Offline" and syncs when a connection is available. Also allowing you to export all the data to a spreadsheet so you always have a backup of your data that you control.

**WARNING, INCOMING RANT**    O.P please look away.

God help us! What is the world coming too? Before long people will need an app to tell them to wipe their ar*e after they have been for a sh*t, if fact they will probably need an app to tell them to go for a sh*t in the first place!!! ?

How did people survive without an app?

O.K, feeling better now! ?

I'm sure there is scope for a well made app but I definitely don't want one that tells my customers where I am, personally I don't like having to let a customer know I am coming if I can avoid it because it pins me down and kills flexibility.

An app that connects to a main book keeping 'programme' (yes I'm so old I pre-date the word app) and knows if a customer is up to date with payments or not would be useful.

?

This saying has been mentioned a few times in this thread, thinking it might be a good name for the App. I thinking KISSWindows or WindowKISS ?

I'm on it! Would you mind if I reached out to you once I have the first version ready for a demo. Appreciate you not interested in using an App, but would be great to get your thoughts.

Great points and I plan on solving these by coming in at a price point that is attractive, making sure the App works "Offline" and syncs when a connection is available. Also allowing you to export all the data to a spreadsheet so you always have a backup of your data that you control.
I'd be more than happy to trial any prerelease system and interrogate it's functionality reliability and ease of use with constant feedback to aid improvement

Again a simple name for a simple system with a modern name

MiRound

Polish_20210528_090710189.jpg

God help us! What is the world coming too? Before long people will need an app to tell them to wipe their ar*e after they have been for a sh*t, if fact they will probably need an app to tell them to go for a sh*t in the first place!!! ?

I'm sure there is scope for a well made app but I definitely don't want one that tells my customers where I am, personally I don't like having to let a customer know I am coming if I can avoid it because it pins me down and kills flexibility.

An app that connects to a main book keeping 'programme' (yes I'm so old I pre-date the word app) and knows if a customer is up to date with payments or not would be useful.

?
Well versed mate. Modern times feeding the trend i guess

People used to say this about computers and automation. 

Anything that helps efficiency, saves time and works 100% that allows me to focus on more productive measures gets my vote. 

There are numerous reasons why companies have or are working towards a paperless office. I'm a strong advocate of this! 

?
Hi Martyn,

Even as someone who builds software and apps for a living, I can agree that the world has gone slightly App mad and that not everything needs an App! The word App is a little misunderstood these days though. When people say App they immediately think about the icons on their smartphones, but an Application is of course, so much more than that and generally fit for purpose.

Personally I wouldn't want to do my monthly accounting from an App on my phone, which is why the software I am building has a cloud based Web App which will be used by most from their PC's. The mobile phone App version is more suited for managing your round on the go, marking jobs as done/paid and all this feeds into a central cloud server, accessible anytime and from anywhere.

I get your point about not wanting your customers to know where you are, I'm just throwing ideas out there. The beauty of building bespoke software is that it can be fit for purpose allowing the user to choose what features they do and don't want to use.

We are definitely building integration into existing accounting platforms like QuickBooks and Wave whilst also having our own built in basic bookkeeping system. Look forward to getting the chance to show you how it will work once Version 1 is ready.

Cheers
Chris

Latest Posts

Back