Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What are your most painful problems? I might be able to help.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

On a more serious note, I don't know what data protection laws are like in the U.K but they are very strict here, if someone were to get hold of my phone or hack it and obtain customer details from it I could face a fine of many £K.

cleaner planner does all that and more already mate....its simple,slick and reliable
You ain't seen nothing yet, Watch this space! ? Seriously though, competition is good in any marketplace, it encourages innovation and often makes tools more affordable as companies compete for market share. I would never down play a competitors product as I know first hand the effort that goes into building software. My focus is less on what the competitors are doing and more on building something that people love to use and a community around that product where they feel they have a say in the features that it offers. Look forward to showing you version 1!

On a more serious note, I don't know what data protection laws are like in the U.K but they are very strict here, if someone were to get hold of my phone or hack it and obtain customer details from it I could face a fine of many £K.
Great points! Coming from building software in the heavily regulated Financial Services industry, I am very conscious of GDPR and PII and compliance with these are front and center. Based on your comment, perhaps a good option is to only have basic customer address details visible in the app, so no Personally Identifiable Data (PII). Full details would only be available from the Web App. All data would of course be stored in the cloud, encrypted and secured using industry standards and adhering to all the rules and regs that have been laid out.

I'd be more than happy to trial any prerelease system and interrogate it's functionality reliability and ease of use with constant feedback to aid improvement

Again a simple name for a simple system with a modern name

MiRound
Fantastic! I'm going to take you up on that!

"MiRound" - love it! Could also be used for managing who's buying the next round of Pints at the pub. ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been reading this thread with interest. First off I haven't actually started cleaning windows yet (covid shileding) but I do have an engineering and software background. I have just signed up to Squeegee and had the hour long training session with them. Bear in mind that I haven't used it in anger or been angry at it yet ? it does seem to do most things I think I will need but from playing with squeegee (sounds iffy) and reading this thread 3 things have come out, 1 any new app should be able to automatically deal with payment systems like Stripe, SumUp, Gocardless and ideally BACS so when a job is marked as complete the invoice is sent to custy with their preferred payment method listed but also the option of alternatives. The big issue is making sure payments are marked as paid when they actually are. So an automated method of doing that would be good.

Secondly, and I have no idea if this is worth looking at or asking for trouble, in Squeegee you there is a 'time job takes' field, could this be used to automatically mark a job as complete. i.e. you have gps location of property, date of clean (in job plan), and the duration, so IF a windy at location of job, at planned schedule and there for (time job takes +- 5min) and then goes to different location job is marked as complete?

Thirdly both of the main window cleaning apps won't allow you to use your sim contracts included text messages so you have to buy extra ones from them that work with their systems! Seems stupid paying extra for sms when a lot of people will have unlimited included!

Hope that makes sense?

1 any new app should be able to automatically deal with payment systems like Stripe, SumUp, Gocardless and ideally BACS so when a job is marked as complete the invoice is sent to custy with their preferred payment method listed but also the option of alternatives. The big issue is making sure payments are marked as paid when they actually are. So an automated method of doing that would be good.
Interesting that this requirement has been mentioned a couple times, and I am really glad about that as payment platform integrations and OpenBanking are my technical strong points, it sounds like a real opportunity to build this in as a core feature and value proposition for people to choose this software over others. (Guess what I'll be doing over the bank holiday weekend! ?)

Secondly, and I have no idea if this is worth looking at or asking for trouble, in Squeegee you there is a 'time job takes' field, could this be used to automatically mark a job as complete. i.e. you have gps location of property, date of clean (in job plan), and the duration, so IF a windy at location of job, at planned schedule and there for (time job takes +- 5min) and then goes to different location job is marked as complete?
So I think I understand where you are going with the idea and it sounds quite good. If you have your customers location data available on the Job record in the App, the App could detect when you are there and when you leave so could do anything with that information. It could get a little tricky if you working on two houses next to each other and the van is parked in the same spot? Worth thinking about this more and seeing how it could work.

Thirdly both of the main window cleaning apps won't allow you to use your sim contracts included text messages so you have to buy extra ones from them that work with their systems! Seems stupid paying extra for sms when a lot of people will have unlimited included!
I can understand why they do this, A. it's a small additional revenue stream for them and B it is easy to integrate the app with SMS services like Twillio instead and getting the app to hook into the phones SMS system. I'll explore the possibilities here, where there is a will there is a way!

Interesting that this requirement has been mentioned a couple times, and I am really glad about that as payment platform integrations and OpenBanking are my technical strong points, it sounds like a real opportunity to build this in as a core feature and value proposition for people to choose this software over others. (Guess what I'll be doing over the bank holiday weekend! ?)

So I think I understand where you are going with the idea and it sounds quite good. If you have your customers location data available on the Job record in the App, the App could detect when you are there and when you leave so could do anything with that information. It could get a little tricky if you working on two houses next to each other and the van is parked in the same spot? Worth thinking about this more and seeing how it could work.

I can understand why they do this, A. it's a small additional revenue stream for them and B it is easy to integrate the app with SMS services like Twillio instead and getting the app to hook into the phones SMS system. I'll explore the possibilities here, where there is a will there is a way!
With reference to job task / location could the system use a simple check in button or confirm location button which may work easier than solely relying on automated geo tagging or location proximity

With reference to job task / location could the system use a simple check in button or confirm location button which may work easier than solely relying on automated geo tagging or location proximity
Yeah, that could work well! App could make a "Best Guess" and allow you to verify before confirming. I've added this to my development roadmap and when I get round to that, would you mind if I reached out to you for a demo and more feedback?

Yeah, that could work well! App could make a "Best Guess" and allow you to verify before confirming. I've added this to my development roadmap and when I get round to that, would you mind if I reached out to you for a demo and more feedback?
I think it would eliminate a false payment confirmation or invoice as it's a human interaction and not soley software driven if that makes sense

You ain't seen nothing yet, Watch this space! ? Seriously though, competition is good in any marketplace, it encourages innovation and often makes tools more affordable as companies compete for market share. I would never down play a competitors product as I know first hand the effort that goes into building software. My focus is less on what the competitors are doing and more on building something that people love to use and a community around that product where they feel they have a say in the features that it offers. Look forward to showing you version 1!
surely you ve looked at cleaner planner as well as squeegee and aworka to see what features these programs already offer?

All personal data should be either under lock and key or on a device with secure password needed to access it , it it is then hacked you are fine it’s not a problem , but just leaving customers details lying around would be an issue . 

surely you ve looked at cleaner planner as well as squeegee and aworka to see what features these programs already offer?
Yeah, sure have, and more importantly been speaking to people using existing software out there to find out what works and what doesn't or could be improved. The approach I am taking is less about replicating what's already available but building something that its users love to use and provides an alternative pricing model that makes sense for both small and large businesses. The feedback I have been getting here and from a number of people who have reached out to me has been invaluable, making sure we stay focused on building a great set of core features and not get distracted with unnecessary bells and whistles.

Yeah, sure have, and more importantly been speaking to people using existing software out there to find out what works and what doesn't or could be improved. The approach I am taking is less about replicating what's already available but building something that its users love to use and provides an alternative pricing model that makes sense for both small and large businesses. The feedback I have been getting here and from a number of people who have reached out to me has been invaluable, making sure we stay focused on building a great set of core features and not get distracted with unnecessary bells and whistles.
Hey mate.
Interesting what you’re trying to do, though do you realise that Squeegee where, and arguably still are, the disruptor in this sector. They have a big list of new abilities they’re working to bring to the app. Maybe contact them looking if they’re needing programmers.  ?

Meanwhile the other apps are much loved by their current user base, for various reasons, often not needing the abilities of Squeegee. 

You seem like a smart guy mate, I worry though you’re going to waste your time trying to bring in new software. I know myself I’m very happy with squeegee and their customer service. 

Hey mate.
Interesting what you’re trying to do, though do you realise that Squeegee where, and arguably still are, the disruptor in this sector. They have a big list of new abilities they’re working to bring to the app. Maybe contact them looking if they’re needing programmers.  ?

Meanwhile the other apps are much loved by their current user base, for various reasons, often not needing the abilities of Squeegee. 

You seem like a smart guy mate, I worry though you’re going to waste your time trying to bring in new software. I know myself I’m very happy with squeegee and their customer service. 
Competition is good. The more variety in platforms is needed as not every copies the Jones

Hey mate.
I guess that's an option, if all else fails! ? but seriously though, I'm committed to building a business around this product and while I'm sure the existing providers are doing a good job, there is always room for new players. As I had said before, competition is good for any market as it drives innovation and affordability.

Appreciate your concern and hear where you coming from. I'm certainly not trying to change the world with delusions of grandeur, but absolutely know that with the skills and knowledge I am gaining, there is real potential to build a business here that can, at a minimum, complete with the existing options out there. This is a good thing for everyone as it creates more choice and ensures our end users keep getting a better and better product.

The framework I am building for this product has the potential to scale into other industries so I remain optimistic. If anything, the constructive criticism I have gained in this conversation has motivated me even more. Hopefully when we have version 1 ready I can convince you to give it a trial. ?

Thanks for everyone's contribution to this conversation so far. I made another post relating to what I plan on naming this new product, it would be great to get your input on that as well!

Thanks again
Chris

I use squeegee and really find it helps my day to day business, there’s 3 things that need working on and if you can do it you’ve got a user in me haha! 

Using my normal text credits from my mobile plan. 

Texting an automatic message when a jobs complete to tell customer I’ve finished and with payment details etc... I do this through squeegee but for it to work automatically without having to send an invoice would be good.

a decent route planner, this is squeegees biggest downfall, their route planner is awful!!! I have to use a 3rd party site to plan my routes... 

I use squeegee and really find it helps my day to day business, there’s 3 things that need working on and if you can do it you’ve got a user in me haha! 

Using my normal text credits from my mobile plan. 

Texting an automatic message when a jobs complete to tell customer I’ve finished and with payment details etc... I do this through squeegee but for it to work automatically without having to send an invoice would be good.

a decent route planner, this is squeegees biggest downfall, their route planner is awful!!! I have to use a 3rd party site to plan my routes... 
Hi Mx19, thanks for your great feedback!

The text messaging feature is right up there on our priority list so look forward to showing you how that works when done.

Out of interest, what do you use as an alternative to plan your route at the moment?

Hi Mx19, thanks for your great feedback!

The text messaging feature is right up there on our priority list so look forward to showing you how that works when done.

Out of interest, what do you use as an alternative to plan your route at the moment?
I use routexl at the moment, it’s a lot more efficient than squeegees software which seems to send you on weird routes and also doesn’t pick up your current location more often than not so updating the route on the fly (if you add other jobs in etc) doesn’t work...

I use routexl at the moment, it’s a lot more efficient than squeegees software which seems to send you on weird routes and also doesn’t pick up your current location more often than not so updating the route on the fly (if you add other jobs in etc) doesn’t work...
Thanks for the info, I will check it out.

Latest Posts

Back