Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

what size pole usually for solar panel going to top of roof?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Cheers ? yeh I reckon a 39 would be much heavier. Hopefully the panels would take most of the weight? But true, sometimes even with the 22 its a struggle, usually when at angles for awkward ones, or over connys. I'd prob only use a 39 for panel jobs and 3 story top floors. This 50 panel job would pay a big chunk  for it after the first time, and I think it would be yearly but I see what you mean if it got hardly used.
I am toying with the idea of eventually getting an Extreme 35 or, less likely a 40 next tax year. For a handful of our jobs that are a real stretch and a heavy struggle with the SLX 30. Serious consideration and head scratching required as the extreme 35 is around £1000 give or take.

I am toying with the idea of eventually getting an Extreme 35 or, less likely a 40 next tax year. For a handful of our jobs that are a real stretch and a heavy struggle with the SLX 30. Serious consideration and head scratching required as the extreme 35 is around £1000 give or take.
I just tried to look up the weights on the gardiners site but its down just now. It must be heavy,tricky work bringing say, an slx 39 to the ground from full extended. I know sometimes it can be tricky with the 22! Yes food for thought.

I just tried to look up the weights on the gardiners site but its down just now. It must be heavy,tricky work bringing say, an slx 39 to the ground from full extended. I know sometimes it can be tricky with the 22! Yes food for thought.
The best way for extending and collapsing a really long pole would be to use windows or solar panels as rest/steadying stages and when there's no choice, hold the pole vertical, I'd say. ?

Probably the best bet, and maybe an extension section just in case. I have some 2nd floor (ground floor, 1st floor 2nd floor) (dunno if to call them 3 storey?) where I barely reach the top windows with the slx 22, so a 39 would be great for them, and solar panels too. Do you just scrub and rinse with pure? Cant do much else at those heights i guess.
Yeah scrub and rinse with pure. 

Reaching 2nd floor windows with a 22’ is awkward as you have to stand really close to the property. Yes, I THINK they are called 2 storey but lots of people say 3 storey and I always assume they don’t mean 4 levels lol

I did 4 solar panel cleans today and I used my extreme 18. I position my ladder at the centre of panels and on the gutter or just below then I stand there and scrub away with my setting at 70. It doesn't take that long, maybe around 10mins a side but my customer wanted the gutters cleared out. Used my home made pro gutter tool on extension pole, ladder limb, bucket and 10mins later it was done didn't even need to move my ladder. The woman was delighted and all I charged was £60 because I was up the road bird proofing solar panels.

I did 4 solar panel cleans today and I used my extreme 18. I position my ladder at the centre of panels and on the gutter or just below then I stand there and scrub away with my setting at 70. It doesn't take that long, maybe around 10mins a side but my customer wanted the gutters cleared out. Used my home made pro gutter tool on extension pole, ladder limb, bucket and 10mins later it was done didn't even need to move my ladder. The woman was delighted and all I charged was £60 because I was up the road bird proofing solar panels.
I can try that, but what puts me off is i like to have one hand holding the ladder. You used a ladder stay I presume?

I can try that, but what puts me off is i like to have one hand holding the ladder. You used a ladder stay I presume?
On the bird proofing one the resident healed the ladder most of the day because he was retired and we chatted away about why pigeons nest all year round under panels. The other one I put the ladder against the gutter between two brackets so the ladder will bend it in the way when I get up and my weight moves it in. I have a novel way of cleaning panels, I move the brush left to right like an arc movement. When I come across bird mess I move the brush left and right over it so the whole 350mm length of brush hits it and hot water does the trick. I first angle brush to 90 degrees from the horizontal pole and extend it so it can hit the top corners and do the perimeter area then I reset pole so its fully in and finish off the middle area. I have now worked out that moving the pole left to right gives better results and uses less energy than moving it up and down but I don't know why, maybe a scientist will tell us?

Just trying to think if i'd be better off getting longer reach pole for such jobs. Prob wouldnt use much. The panels are in two rows and seem to reach near the top of the roof, so together with the angle reckon gonna need quite  a reach. cant load up pics, but you can picture a house (  with looks like big loft/roof space) and solar panels going to near the apex. I thought of portable scaffold tower, but maybe better to just get long pole? cant really splash out on a good one, but as dont do many such jobs thought id get a long cheapy if poss. Any views? scaffold tower? long cheap pole?
you need an xtreme 47 or an ultimate pole and a 90 degree gooseneck to reach solar panels on house roofs....if you cant stretch to that just turn the job down....YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO CLEAN THESE PANELS WITH A SLX OR SUPERMAX POLE!due to the bend on the pole at an angle(itll catch on the gutters!)

I wouldn't dream of using a pole from a ladder, that's just far too risky, I think, for sure.

My technique for really dirty solar panels is circular moving from top left corner to right and back again with a soapmix. Cream it in, continuing down a level at a time. The same movements with the wash out, and then finish with the rinse across and back a level at a time from top to bottom. .

F@ck, Im fair sure long pole wouldnt fit in my connect. I use slx 22 and have to have that in there sideways. I know glass fibre not great, but titan at 40 foot should reach. and cheap ( in comparison) only use it for those few roof jobs occassionally
you obviously dont know what your talking about.........there is no way a cheap 40ft pole will clean solar panels on a 2nd storey house roof at an angle,the bend and weight will make it impossible.....

Er, yeh, maybe why im asking advise???
bin it mate,,,,,its just not worth it...even if you were to get £200 for it.....unless you can borrow an xtreme 47 off someone for the day?a long shot but maybe someone will?

if you try and attempt to clean this will an inferior pole you ll risk a shoulder injury too.....

I wouldn't dream of using a pole from a ladder, that's just far too risky, I think, for sure.

My technique for really dirty solar panels is circular moving from top left corner to right and back again with a soapmix. Cream it in, continuing down a level at a time. The same movements with the wash out, and then finish with the rinse across and back a level at a time from top to bottom. .
I tried to clean them from the ground and I found it was a waste of time. The ladder is good if someone at the bottom. I have been thinking about  fitting something on ladder stringers so they become pointed and can fit under the back of gutter. It would then be jammed in place and unable to move sideways but as you say off a ladder is dangerous.

bin it mate,,,,,its just not worth it...even if you were to get £200 for it.....unless you can borrow an xtreme 47 off someone for the day?a long shot but maybe someone will?

if you try and attempt to clean this will an inferior pole you ll risk a shoulder injury too.....
I can get the ones on their indoor pool, there only on a ground floor roof but the house ones do look out the question. its a big house too, big loft space etc so there higher than a lot. I'll do the pool ones and see what happens later in the year about the house. Ive got the house in and out windows each 3 months at 200 so will have a think about an extreme. Would feel more secure taking on certain jobs having it.

I can get the ones on their indoor pool, there only on a ground floor roof but the house ones do look out the question. its a big house too, big loft space etc so there higher than a lot. I'll do the pool ones and see what happens later in the year about the house. Ive got the house in and out windows each 3 months at 200 so will have a think about an extreme. Would feel more secure taking on certain jobs having it.
Could you not clean them standing in the loft space through the skylight or velux?

Could you not clean them standing in the loft space through the skylight or velux?
Nah mate, no openings there. There not in a rush just yet so, think will do the swim pool ones and have a think. Makes you wonder if an outlet could make more on certain poles being hired out than they could on selling outright. Risk of them coming back scratched etc though.

I can't see anyone lending out a fragile pole worth in excess of £1000 to be honest. I don't think anyone would want the worry of borrowing it either.

Sometimes it's just better to decline some jobs. Though it's definitely not easy in the early stages of building up a business. We've gained a few customers recently but we have turned some down too for various reasons. Mostly country houses that haven't been done for years, that are seriously under siege from shrubberies nearly climbing up the windows. Some having had bits and pieces of extensions and conservatories, also under siege. Other houses which would entail walking round the back of terraces.

I would have taken them 3 or 4 years ago. Thankfully, I am able to be more choosy now.

Nah mate, no openings there. There not in a rush just yet so, think will do the swim pool ones and have a think. Makes you wonder if an outlet could make more on certain poles being hired out than they could on selling outright. Risk of them coming back scratched etc though.
And with invisible hair line cracks.

I can't see anyone lending out a fragile pole worth in excess of £1000 to be honest. I don't think anyone would want the worry of borrowing it either.

Sometimes it's just better to decline some jobs. Though it's definitely not easy in the early stages of building up a business. We've gained a few customers recently but we have turned some down too for various reasons. Mostly country houses that haven't been done for years, that are seriously under siege from shrubberies nearly climbing up the windows. Some having had bits and pieces of extensions and conservatories, also under siege. Other houses which would entail walking round the back of terraces.

I would have taken them 3 or 4 years ago. Thankfully, I am able to be more choosy now.
I see there are some hire places, but nowhere near me. Its not critical to be fair, ive got the windows regular. Know what ya mean, nightmare houses. ok if you get a good rate.

I see there are some hire places, but nowhere near me. Its not critical to be fair, ive got the windows regular. Know what ya mean, nightmare houses. ok if you get a good rate.
Dunno how accurate but I read cleaning them only gets 5% improvement on electricity. Probably what they make in electric, they use to pay the windy? ?

Back