Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Wind up reel doing me nut ? in fellas

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Davidpatrick1978

Hi it’s david Patrick just enquiring about a electric reel my late father left a bit of money and I’m investing some of it in a electric reel the wind in one by hand makes me mad it get in knots it goes over the side something happens every bloody wind in it costs me time I’ve been looking at a e Mackintosh he has the 3D power up which looks brilliant around £500 I don’t want to spend any more than that 

what do you guys think is the best electric reel to get for under £500 also who connects them and fits them in I’m no good with electric wires 

Hose management is key, when pulling out the hose don't be fast paced and take a few slow steps before you stop, as for winding in even with manual you need to keep the hose taught otherwise it will go loose and baggy and be a P.I.A this can be worse with an electric reel to sort out any over spooling 

Hi it’s david Patrick just enquiring about a electric reel my late father left a bit of money and I’m investing some of it in a electric reel the wind in one by hand makes me mad it get in knots it goes over the side something happens every bloody wind in it costs me time I’ve been looking at a e Mackintosh he has the 3D power up which looks brilliant around £500 I don’t want to spend any more than that 

what do you guys think is the best electric reel to get for under £500 also who connects them and fits them in I’m no good with electric wires 
Is your wind up reel hose brand new? Memory effect in hose is common

You shouldn't constantly get hose tangles or coils.

Having an electric reel won't solve that and you'd have to look at your system space, extra battery and upgrade your charge system aswell in my opinion 

This industry is not an easy one and it takes time to get used to.

I'm all for manual wind up reels 

Is your wind up reel hose brand new? Memory effect in hose is common

You shouldn't constantly get hose tangles or coils.

Having an electric reel won't solve that and you'd have to look at your system space, extra battery and upgrade your charge system aswell in my opinion 

This industry is not an easy one and it takes time to get used to.

I'm all for manual wind up reels 
It’s around 4 months old now but constantly overlapping the wheel wheel winding in no kinks just a proper ball ache for me 

It’s around 4 months old now but constantly overlapping the wheel wheel winding in no kinks just a proper ball ache for me 
Use a cloth to hold the reel tight as you reel it in and it will stop looping. Kinks come normally when you've overlapped it so start maybe from left to right and guide the hose on while winding in ?

Happens a lot easier with electric reels cause they come in so much faster so you don't have as much time to react.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm looking at changing soon, I have a power up 3d in my current van but I'm building a new van and wondered what is the best on the market. 

I like the power up but don't like how you A. Never really know the condition of the belt as its not very Visable and B. You have to send the entire reel back to them if it snaps.... Just poor design on the belt part for me. 

Anything better?? 

To answer your question about best reel, I unfortunately wouldn’t recommend the Powerup 3D. Waterworks, who make it, are a lovely company but I’ve had nothing but problems with mine, I’m onto my third within a year. The highest recommended reel is the PUREFREEDOM one. It’s a bit more expensive but everyone with them loves them.

I would recommend a electric reel hands down. I waited two years before getting mine & honestly wished I hadn’t, it makes such a big difference to your working day, I go home less tired & less fatigued. 

Last edited by a moderator:
To answer your question about best reel, I unfortunately wouldn’t recommend the Powerup 3D. Waterworks, who make it, are a lovely company but I’ve had nothing but problems with mine, I’m onto my third within a year. The highest recommended reel is the Waterworks one. It’s a bit more expensive but everyone with them loves them.

I would recommend a electric reel hands down. I waited two years before getting mine & honestly wished I hadn’t, it makes such a big difference to your working day, I go home less tired & less fatigued. 
Why not buy the stainless steel electric reel from Grippatank? I've got two of them and they work everyday. One has been loose since it was fitted and still works everyday. One day I decided to fix it and it took an hour because I had to remove all the hose but I managed to replace it with my PU hose. Never had a problem, maybe I have been lucky but its built like a JCB, bombproof. ?

Why not buy the stainless steel electric reel from Grippatank? I've got two of them and they work everyday. One has been loose since it was fitted and still works everyday. One day I decided to fix it and it took an hour because I had to remove all the hose but I managed to replace it with my PU hose. Never had a problem, maybe I have been lucky but its built like a JCB, bombproof. ?
I’ve unfortunately heard bad things about the Grippa ones. I like Grippa stuff but Pure Freedom are the only ones I know of that everyone who has them recommends & hasn’t had issues with. Just ask @Pjj

Are you winding your hose and reel underhand or overhand.

If you wind it so your hose enters and the top of the reel you shouldn't get over spooling

With respect I feel that poor technique is to blame. Never known anyone with this issue 

the purefreedom ones should be bloody good at £945 for the hot water stainless version delivered...not being funny thats ALOT more than the power up3d, whether i have the money or not, i couldnt justify paying that much for that reel sorry

the purefreedom ones should be bloody good at £945 for the hot water stainless version delivered...not being funny thats ALOT more than the power up3d, whether i have the money or not, i couldnt justify paying that much for that reel sorry
That's the top of the range, and being stainless fairly bulletproof. Age old adage you get what you pay for.

I’ve unfortunately heard bad things about the Grippa ones. I like Grippa stuff but Pure Freedom are the only ones I know of that everyone who has them recommends & hasn’t had issues with. Just ask @Pjj
I must be lucky then because mine have never let me down since the new electric part was fitted a few years ago. Good thing about Stainless Steel, it should last forever, no rust. Doing one offs for folk today which are Top Dancer with 35 foot pole. A score a time and by the way its going I'll get the whole street.

I must be lucky then because mine have never let me down since the new electric part was fitted a few years ago. Good thing about Stainless Steel, it should last forever, no rust. Doing one offs for folk today which are Top Dancer with 35 foot pole. A score a time and by the way its going I'll get the whole street.
What’s that got to do with the thread?

To answer your question about best reel, I unfortunately wouldn’t recommend the Powerup 3D. Waterworks, who make it, are a lovely company but I’ve had nothing but problems with mine, I’m onto my third within a year. The highest recommended reel is the PUREFREEDOM one. It’s a bit more expensive but everyone with them loves them.

Thankyou mate

So they've been alright since they were fixed, and how long did you wait for it ?

Back