Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What Would You Do!?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

MikeJP

Hey guys, this is probably a question for those who have been there and done it already.............

But what would you do if you was starting out again for the very first time and you had £1000 available to give you best possible start in the window cleaning business.

So basically what kind of things would you spend your money on. For example; X amount here, X amount there etc etc.

Basing it all on what you now know with your current experience and expertise. Are there things you wish you bought first maybe or even not at all??

Suggestions welcome! /emoticons/smile.png

Thanks,

Mike

Oh, and apologies if this has been posted in the wrong area. /emoticons/sad.png

A grand wouldn't be any good of you didn't have wheels.. But if you have transport, you could get a trad kit, backpack and pole, flyers, clothing, insurance all for a £1000 or less!!

I been cleaning 5 years, only regret is I only went wfp a few weeks ago. If I had of had the business head I have now I prob would have invested back then

when I started I borrowed my girlfriends(now wife's) car and bought about £40 worth of trad gear out of homebase.

If I was you, get some wheels, basic trad gear, £40 of vista print business cards, and get out and knock as many doors as you can. If you have wheels you'll have plenty of change.

Earn as much as possible, and spent as little as you possibly can without comprising the quality of work you provide. Try to stay away from the idea of shiny vans, and top of the range gear etc. Keep it simple, and you can get all that other stuff, once you have a customer base, because without that, you don't have a business. So your priority when starting out should always be getting those customers.

If all goes well, I'll hopefully be able to sell my car and should get £2000 for it which will hopefully cover the costs for a decent 2nd hand van. (I'd hope so!!) I don't fancy getting one on finance..

Depends on how quick I can sell this though

If I can sell soon, 3K will be my budget - for everything.

get a roof rack for that car and trad for a bit until your up and running, thats what I would do, but I am trad so I guess I am biased I suppose.
I'm in agreement with everything Ladders said in this thread and I'm also glad I started out trad. I'm getting to know the business slowly and making sure I do it right, yes I want to move onto wfp but not completely, only when I need it so a backpack will do the job just fine.

Get a van for 2k and the rest 1k on equipment

If your going to be traditional and wfp then just get a backpack, if your going to be just wfp then get a cheap van mount.

Cheers for the info guys. I'm certainly leaning towards the roof rack on my current car idea for now then until I get my customer base built up.

Shame its just a little Corsa, might not fit much in it.

Cheers for the info guys. I'm certainly leaning towards the roof rack on my current car idea for now then until I get my customer base built up.

Shame its just a little Corsa, might not fit much in it.
If ya going trad mate ya won't need a lot of space.

A van does give a good impression, but if your cleaning the windows properly I don't think customers would care if you pulled up in a van or a push bike..

A corsa would have plenty of room for trad gear, backpack and a few 25lt drums

im glad i started trad because.

1 it teaches you the the trade , theres too many guys out there who are wfp only if a customer asked if they could clean the insides they would be stumped .

not picking on the wfp guys in any way but its true ask big H what his response was when that subject came up .

2 the cost , it's minimal compared to wfp

i started with around £500 from the jobcentre and that has gotten me nearly all my wfp kit aswell and i use the family motor for doing my round .

no need for all singing all dancing when your starting out .

I was in the cleaning warehouse and these 2 guys pulled up in a tranny said to the guy we want to start window cleaning and want a tank in the van fair enough the bloke says heres what ya need 2k bang there ya go stick it in ya van .

doubt they never washed a window in there lives .

LOL thats summat I would have done at one point - not much of a DIY'er aswell either! But not now though. For now I've definitely decided to start off small first. I'll use my current motor with a roof rack and take it from there. Get that customer base built up!

£500 from the Jobcentre!?!? /emoticons/ohmy.png I heard they were keen on dishing out money these days but was that some sort of grant or just JSA?

Might have to look into this! :huh:

it was through my disability employment advisor as I couldn't go back into the trade I was in before .

so they are keen to get you off signing as £500 is only the equivalent to 2 signings so they dont even bat an eyelid .

Back