Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Worst winter yet

WCF

Help Support WCF:

And that is yours. My problem with this is if you do someones house that tests positive you have to self isolate, if you then test positive you have to inform all of your customers who then have to self isolate. God forbid one of them gets it and dies, so we can earn a few extra quid? Not exactly a risk I'm prepared to take.

I had plenty of battles with the naysayers at the start of all this but, personally think the risk reward is just not worth it. Everyone can decide what they do but for me I'm out.
Good point but if you wear gloves and a mask ? you shouldn’t catch it ?????

As long as you fully follow Government guidelines you should be fine. However you will still need to self isolate if one of your customers tests positive. Making, possibly, a few hundred pounds and risk losing, possibly, thousands isn't a good bet in my opinion.
Very true not something I would do during there’s times but that’s my opinion 

Im grateful to be working out side or Evan working as some people out there have lost jobs ect 

Why not go and ask some doctors and nurses for their opinion after working a 12 hour shift?

Cannot believe some people sometimes ?
Or those in the military working 16-20 hour shifts daily in wars that are questionable..for months on end,  no day off leaving your family behind wondering if you’ll ever come home. Some of your mates don’t come home. Days of your family  not hearing from you because comms are down. (Worse if your wife is pregnant with your kid) Mostly because of political agenda of old buggers.  

It happens and it’s life. We can all make comparisons and say things. It’s what you sign up for in these jobs. Any of you that have served will understand you do so without thought of yourself. It’s a selfless act mostly for all emergency and military services. What our nurses go through is bad. 100% cannot be denied and I feel for them. I think they should be the highest paid along with fire brigade and teachers.

However, there is a lot to be confirmed and verified over transmission rates before we start thinking ‘some people’ 

some research has actually verified no correlation of lockdowns being effective overall when compared to how other countries have dealt with it  

wearing a mask in someone’s home versus other things that are allowed leaves a lot to debate also. Who knows?

As someone who served in the military and is fifth generation serving in front line wars, I was an intelligence analyst and can say 100% that the news is not fact.

I would say that I wouldn’t believe everything we are told.

It’s all about perspective and opinion. Some have more perspective than others

Or those in the military working 16-20 hour shifts daily in wars that are questionable..for months on end,  no day off leaving your family behind wondering if you’ll ever come home. Some of your mates don’t come home. Days of your family  not hearing from you because comms are down. (Worse if your wife is pregnant with your kid) Mostly because of political agenda of old buggers.  

It happens and it’s life. We can all make comparisons and say things. It’s what you sign up for in these jobs. Any of you that have served will understand you do so without thought of yourself. It’s a selfless act mostly for all emergency and military services. What our nurses go through is bad. 100% cannot be denied and I feel for them. I think they should be the highest paid along with fire brigade and teachers.

However, there is a lot to be confirmed and verified over transmission rates before we start thinking ‘some people’ 

some research has actually verified no correlation of lockdowns being effective overall when compared to how other countries have dealt with it  

wearing a mask in someone’s home versus other things that are allowed leaves a lot to debate also. Who knows?

As someone who served in the military and is fifth generation serving in front line wars, I was an intelligence analyst and can say 100% that the news is not fact.

But we are talking about cleaning the insides of someone’s windows. How important is that in the scheme of things?

It’s something that can wait until things get better. Going into someone’s house for something so minor in the middle of a pandemic surely cannot be justified 

Yeah it’s a tricky one. I won’t say what you should or shouldn’t do.
Those who want/need to do it go and do it as long as all precautions are taken. No symptoms. Masks worn. Hands cleaned before starting. After windows are cleaned open them for air etc etc.

Im personally not doing them now. I did one back in about October. They had been asking me all summer, they said we’re going out tomorrow we can leave the key and just do what you can. So I did. I did feel slightly uncomfortable.
They were a Middle Aged but seemingly healthy couple who I knew have been taking lockdown measures seriously. So I knew there was very very small risk in track & trace coming back to bite me. 

But at the moment with cases still High I don’t personally feel like it’s worth the risk with being told to isolate a few days later etc.

But if you NEED to work, go and do it. 

There’s thousands of house cleaners working at the moment. Last week Was chatting to a girl I often see. She was cleaning there. Wears a face shield etc. Said she didn’t work the first lockdown, but this time about 75%/80% of her customers said yeah carry on. 
The customers she was cleaning for were young. So could do it themselves (so e.g not essential) but she was there. Doing nothing illegal. 

People working in the military know what they are getting involved with when they sign on the dotted line and are agreeing to that risk and life style , if they don’t want to do that then don’t join up , we on the other hand have a choice wether we do internals or not and like @Part Timer said it’s not worth the risk , Ime certainly not ordering my guys to do any internal windows as I would be responsible for putting them and customers at risk if anything happened , remember 1 in 3 don’t show any signs or symptoms . 

Yeah it’s a tricky one. I won’t say what you should or shouldn’t do.
Those who want/need to do it go and do it as long as all precautions are taken. No symptoms. Masks worn. Hands cleaned before starting. After windows are cleaned open them for air etc etc.

Im personally not doing them now. I did one back in about October. They had been asking me all summer, they said we’re going out tomorrow we can leave the key and just do what you can. So I did. I did feel slightly uncomfortable.
They were a Middle Aged but seemingly healthy couple who I knew have been taking lockdown measures seriously. So I knew there was very very small risk in track & trace coming back to bite me. 

But at the moment with cases still High I don’t personally feel like it’s worth the risk with being told to isolate a few days later etc.

But if you NEED to work, go and do it. 

There’s thousands of house cleaners working at the moment. Last week Was chatting to a girl I often see. She was cleaning there. Wears a face shield etc. Said she didn’t work the first lockdown, but this time about 75%/80% of her customers said yeah carry on. 
The customers she was cleaning for were young. So could do it themselves (so e.g not essential) but she was there. Doing nothing illegal. 
I really don’t think that’s a good comparison.

I agree that a house cleaner might be necessary for those unable to do it, just to keep things from getting unhealthy in the kitchen etc. But different to shiny inside windows ?

I think even offering this may alienate some customers. Most of mine are over 40 and treating this situation seriously. If they get the impression that I’m happy going in and out of lots of houses it might effect the trust they have in me. 

With new window cleaners popping up all over it gives them the perfect reason to switch. 

That isn’t the reason I wouldn’t offer it though. I simply think it’s an unnecessary risk at the moment 

I dont offer inside window cleaning anymore and haven't done for years now...I hated going inside customers houses even before the pandemic....

Personally I think it's a foolish idea to offer to clean your customers inside windows...just say no and crack on with the outsides....??

We will be out if suitable, forecast yesterday for Wednesday was -2, today it's forecast 0. Hat, coat, gloves and hot water ? and don't do front or back doors.
We will be out also.

Snow has come to nothing so far today so should be clear tomorrow but average -3 feels like -8 on the weather report for the week.

Oil filled rad in the van and crack on.

To avoid slip hazards just trad bottoms in dodgy areas to not leave ice behind.

I'll be out all week.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm gonna go out Wednesday Thursday looks slightly warmer end of the week. Although always check weather, I don't want to fight it tomorrow not being 1c until 1pm. I'm in a position to do that though some aren't

Aint seen this much snow for years. No work for me. Also the minor roads in the sticks will have snow drifting in this wind. Winters last gasps I hope, was a lovely few days last week.

We will be out also.

Snow has come to nothing so far today so should be clear tomorrow but average -3 feels like -8 on the weather report for the week.

Oil filled rad in the van and crack on.

To avoid slip hazards just trad bottoms in dodgy areas to not leave ice behind.

I'll be out all week.
Same here, even managing to get some half days in depending on how much snow we might get is better than sitting in the house, 

I will fill the van soon before it gets dark and I'm optimistic for this week as it sunshine and snow showers air temp to be zero with wind chill down to -7 but that wind is going to bleedin cold, the lows in the shade are going to cause issues typically connys and patio doors which are always an issue. 

Got a super compact rad (only 650w) but warm enough to keep the bipper defrosted inside.

That and a few layers of clothes and I'll be fine.

Screenshot_20210207-173707_WhatsAppBusiness.jpg

I love this topic everytime it rears its head in different guises, and ive only been cleaning 2yrs, it really does split opinions.

"Youre a wuss coz you dont work in rain"

Vrs

"Youre mad coz you work in the rain"

Tbf this group is more tongue in cheek banter, but the facebook groups OMFG 

They all earn £500-1000 a day but none of them can afford a cpl of days off for bad weather.

I lost about 10 days in December/January but i am 100% a self confessed refuser of working in even light drizzle ????

I love this topic everytime it rears its head in different guises, and ive only been cleaning 2yrs, it really does split opinions.

"Youre a wuss coz you dont work in rain"

Vrs

"Youre mad coz you work in the rain"

Tbf this group is more tongue in cheek banter, but the facebook groups OMFG 

They all earn £500-1000 a day but none of them can afford a cpl of days off for bad weather.

I lost about 10 days in December/January but i am 100% a self confessed refuser of working in even light drizzle ????
To be fair there’s a few on here like that 

It happens every year so people should be prepared for it by now.

2011 was a lot worse but I survived.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back