Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Would you like a cuppa?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I tend to get it, then take a swig or 2, then when they go in to pay either neck it, or if it's a bad brew or too hot sling it down the drain, custys joke about how I can drink boiled water!!

I keep tea, coffee and hot chocolate in three separate jars in my van. 

I take a flask of hot water and a flask of milk (as I have cereal for my lunch) so have a drink at around 11 and another around half one, so I never except a drink from a customer.

Talking of drink, it’s pub time ??. Have a good weekend windies ?

Not that often, couple.of times a week maybe.

Only time I accept one is on a longer job like an fsg. Not got time to be supping tea on regular windows. Id be happy if no one ever offered, save me saying no thanks. Don't know how some of you can be drinking numerous pots of tea a day, don't you have any work to do....

Last edited by a moderator:
Hardly ever but i only accept from 2 houses, one is a mate and we spend 30-45 minutes talking so always the last job of the day and the second is client who makes fresh coffee, I can't stand instant or any shop bought coffee. 

I have a customer that I’ve cleaned for over 30 years. She told me on the first clean that she will never offer me a cuppa, however if I want one I only have to ask. Prob once a year I ask. Always on a very cold day!!

I have a customer that I’ve cleaned for over 30 years. She told me on the first clean that she will never offer me a cuppa, however if I want one I only have to ask. Prob once a year I ask. Always on a very cold day!!
I’ve mentioned this before, but I have an old boy who asked me over 20 years ago what my favourite chocolate bar was.

I told him that whenever I put fuel in my van, car or motorcycle I always treat myself to a topic.

From that day up to the present, he always has one for me,with the exception of two occasions when he supplied me with a twix (my second favourite),as his shop had no topics,  and was very apologetic about it.

Im hovering around 17 stone now!?. Pub time 

If its an inside job and I can carry the cup ( for me coffee) around doing the job , i say yes , otherwise no . It messes up my schedual , and the breaks i take during the day is Always in silence , dont wanna talk then. 

Last edited by a moderator:
My hourly rate would be so much better if I declined a cup of tea and a chat, but I can't resist even though I keep a flask in the van it just doesn't taste as nice.
Saying that I have a customer who brings one out to me and it's bloody awful! So I surreptitiously go round the side of the van and pour it down the grid.

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Anyone had a horrendous cuppa you’ve had to man up and drink?

I’ve had two. One where a polish woman made me a tea which I can only assume was some kind of herbal tea which she had put milk in because I’d asked for ‘white, 1 sugar please’ I can’t describe that taste other than rancid but it looked like the milk had started to curdle once I began drinking it.

The second a guy made one for me and my brother with coffee creamer. We both took a sip, shot each other a look as we were at the back and the owner was watching us from the kitchen, casually walked with our teas to the side of the house to chuck them down the drain.

To agree with everyone else, my dad is a bricky and told me since I was about ten to never refuse a tea or else you’ll never get one again.
I never refuse a brew but I have a coffee list. If the customer makes me a bad brew I ask for a coffee next time. It takes a special kind of person to f**k up a coffee. There is one exception, have a look at the floating chunky milk in this one. Worst part was she stood there chatting at me and I had to pretend to drink it.

I didn't actually drink it, just waited till she was gone and chucked it haha.

8945EB44-EB54-4B05-91C0-8B8EA199C54B.jpg

My hourly rate would be so much better if I declined a cup of tea and a chat, but I can't resist even though I keep a flask in the van it just doesn't taste as nice.
Saying that I have a customer who brings one out to me and it's bloody awful! So I surreptitiously go round the side of the van and pour it down the grid.

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

The question is would your day be full if you didn't stop for a brew or would you just be finished earlier. If you ain't gonna earn any more and you're a friendly chap then why not stop for a brew and a chat. If you can earn more then its worth worrying about maybe.

I was all ways told never refuse a cuppa.
Even if you don't drink it.
The worst is when they give you a dirty cup then stand there talking to you waiting for you to finish and you can't tip it out anywhere!!! [emoji31][emoji31][emoji477]

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Next van I get, I'm going for the 240v socket option that has an inverter installed. I might even get one installed by my auto electrician. Think how handy it would be to switch on the kettle whenever you want hot water!

I never stop for a drink or a chat. Too much to do. 

Rather get done and go home than stand about supping tea and chatting.

**** in a bush? Lol I can drink tea etc all day and hold it in I often pull into a field and do a **** lol

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

No need for a bush, I keep an empty 1 Litre lucozade bottle in the back of the van. Park up in a non-residential area and no one has a clue what you're doing. The other day some lads in a van in front saw me emptying the bottle and started laughing. I just shrugged, he shouted over ''when you gotta go eh?''

I’m in the “never say no to a cuppa” camp, cos I really do appreciate a hot coffee in winter. Apart from on those annoying occasions when they wait til you are on the last window (after you’ve been at the house for half an hour) and then come out to pay and offer you a cuppa. ?

Apart from on those annoying occasions when they wait til you are on the last window (after you’ve been at the house for half an hour) and then come out to pay and offer you a cuppa. ?
Got a few like that, I just say "any chance of a cold drink". Throw it down your neck quickly, and then say something like "thanks i needed that" so they don't think your rushing to go. Unless it's freezing then I take the cuppa to warm up

Tea in winter, cold drink on hot days. Only limit myself to 1 or 2 a day. But Been offered a beer a couple of times, always say no.

Last time was at a customers house, who’s son was looking after the place while they were away. The parents are very formal & well to do, so when I showed up at 10/10:30am on a Thursday morning I was surprised to see loads of empty Stella cans all over the decking at the back. About 20 minutes later he came out with a beer in his hand, looking really hung over lol. He said you want a beer? I politely refused, he then put one on the table and said have one when you’ve finished. I left it and just finished and went. Was quite funny. 

Think ill I’ll stick to the tea.

Another time was back in the summer, a elderly gentleman I really like, lives on his own, was watching the World Cup sitting outside, with his tele facing the window with the window open (great idea)

he was sipping a beer and offered me one. I don’t drink alcohol so just had a juice he offered instead. I could of sat there chatting all afternoon. 

Back