Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

xtreme sill brush - Gardiners

WCF

Help Support WCF:

It lasted 25 minutes this morning and got slung in the reject bin along with the others and the Raggy Dolls, back to my Ultimate DuPont, I think I am way to used to the softer bristles and just didn't feel at all that I was making enough bristle contact with the glass with the Xtreme and my shoulders were aching after 15 minutes as it just seemed harder to use, Oh well it's tax deductible 

I  Usually use a universal or ultimate but i've used these new extremes this week and it's taken some getting used to. What did shock me was i got back and shoulder pain after 1 hour when using the extreme! it's very rare i get pain nowadays but it hasn't come back and was only for an hour or so. 

Wish there was a brush to remove the yellow splats / pollen marks. I have an estate where im from which all the windows are hammered every visit atleast 30 splats on each pane, have to finger nail each one off first before poling as once the water droplets are on the glass you cant see them. Bloody nightmare only seems to be in certain areas not all. That bad I might even drop that area as its taking me too long

Iv'e got an estate like this and i just use a gardiner scraper and bronze wool pad, flip the pole and it takes seconds. Also i've never had a complaint about these pollen marks. 

Used my new Xtreme 50 degree fan jetted stiff sill brush this morn for an hour on an early commercial job. Worked very nicely I thought. So light weight, fans worked just as I had hoped and really good scrubbing power. If you angle the brush down properly, it does a good job of cleaning the sills as well IMO. Bought the stiff in preparation for hot water on those very cold mornings not too far away now and i'm hoping it will last a bit longer than some of the other brushes i have purchased cos i'm tight. As you may have guessed, I'm happy with it on first use.☺️

Wish there was a brush to remove the yellow splats / pollen marks. I have an estate where im from which all the windows are hammered every visit atleast 30 splats on each pane, have to finger nail each one off first before poling as once the water droplets are on the glass you cant see them. Bloody nightmare only seems to be in certain areas not all. That bad I might even drop that area as its taking me too long
hot water helps a lot with these marks they scrub off usually after a quick soak.... use a gardiners scraper with their white scrubber pad attached if your using cold.....

Used this brush today on a small round I am building and absolutely flew through the work! I have noticed i am saving water as well which is always a bonus. I still have my doubts on some houses/areas as i think the extreme won't have enough scrubbing power but I am in those areas next week. Also need to glue on end bumper caps as they do come off :)

Used this brush today on a small round I am building and absolutely flew through the work! I have noticed i am saving water as well which is always a bonus. I still have my doubts on some houses/areas as i think the extreme won't have enough scrubbing power but I am in those areas next week. Also need to glue on end bumper caps as they do come off ?
What I find with medium mono-filament bristles is that no matter how much water you use, as you use the brush I seem to get dry areas as I move the brush across the glass, which has me thinking it lacks scrubbing power and the extra effort to make contact with the glass and also the splay and angle just doesn't seem to have an ideal position for straightforward windows and windows down the side of houses, these issues for me are more with upper windows, not ground floor windows were a little more pressure can be applied with not much effort.  

What I find with medium mono-filament bristles is that no matter how much water you use, as you use the brush I seem to get dry areas as I move the brush across the glass, which has me thinking it lacks scrubbing power and the extra effort to make contact with the glass and also the splay and angle just doesn't seem to have an ideal position for straightforward windows and windows down the side of houses, these issues for me are more with upper windows, not ground floor windows were a little more pressure can be applied with not much effort.  
I haven't found any problems with the superlight medium mixed sill brushes I've been using for ages. Not tried the new extremes medium soft yet. My son and I will be working with them for the first time tomorrow and we'll watch out for that. ? 

First full day using the Gardiner's Extreme Medium Soft Sill Brush. My honest appraisal:

Self and my son, both tried them. He felt it wasn't for him and changed back to the much loved Super Light Medium Mixed Sill Brush after the second house. I carried on with the new Extreme and worked with it for the full day to give it a fair trial. 

Lovely and light for sure. However, I feel it's a bit too sparse on the bristles for me. In use, I had to go back for more passes than I would have with SLMMSB, to collect bits that been loosened and dragged down some of the way, but left behind due to the gaps in the bristles.

What I would like ideally:

More and longer bristles, a bigger splay (similar to that on the SLMMSB as above), two lines of stiffish bristles (perhaps the orange ones) on all four edges. 

The reasons: to have a better ability to swirl and hook out spider's nests from the top corners of the glass and frames, and to have the bristle length and strength to get right into the depth of of the expansion channels between wìndow frames and sills. The new brush is a nice brush and I'll try it again tomorrow, though I'll probably stick with the the SLMMSB for the foreseeable future. A big thank you to all at Gardiner's for the new brush design, a lot of people will love it I'd say, though knowing that you can't satisfy everyone. ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same issues in some areas, I keep a little 25ml bottle in my pocket with TFR caustic in it from exceed innovations. 1 little squirt on the brush head, soak the glass before you put the brush on, turn the water off and apply the tfr giving a good scrub. Then water back on and wash away leaving perfectly clean frame and glass. Lovely, easy, cheap!

First full day using the Gardiner's Extreme Medium Soft Sill Brush. My honest appraisal:

Self and my son, both tried them. He felt it wasn't for him and changed back to the much loved Super Light Medium Mixed Sill Brush after the second house. I carried on with the new Extreme and worked with it for the full day to give it a fair trial. 

Lovely and light for sure. However, I feel it's a bit too sparse on the bristles for me. In use, I had to go back for more passes than I would have with SLMMSB, to collect bits that been loosened and dragged down some of the way, but left behind due to the gaps in the bristles.

More and longer bristles, a bigger splay (similar to that on the SLMMSB as above), two lines of stiffish bristles (perhaps the orange ones) on all four edges. 

The reasons: to have a better ability to swirl and hook out spider's nests from the top corners of the glass and frames, and to have the bristle length and strength to get right into the depth of of the expansion channels between wìndow frames and sills. The new brush is a nice brush and I'll try it again tomorrow, though I'll probably stick with the the SLMMSB for the foreseeable future. A big thank you to all at Gardiner's for the new brush design, a lot of people will love it I'd say, though knowing that you can't satisfy everyone. ?
this brush feels big to me lol as I’m used to the normal extremes though. 

I haven't found any problems with the superlight medium mixed sill brushes I've been using for ages. Not tried the new extremes medium soft yet. My son and I will be working with them for the first time tomorrow and we'll watch out for that. ? 
I have near enough used only Gardiners brushes for 11 years now and can't fault them to a point, but once Dupont bristles were brought out I haven't found anything better and I guess going back to them with the Xtreme reminded me of that and change is a tricky thing, "as it all begins and ends in your own mind" so for me using something which isn't the norm instantly has me questioning my choices  

The Supreme brush range is a better option to try out, with longer bristles and quite a bit lighter than a sill brush, funnily enough I have one sitting on a shelf in my garage, which is a medium soft mixed it's had maybe a months use or less

The Supreme brush range is a better option to try out, with longer bristles and quite a bit lighter than a sill brush, funnily enough I have one sitting on a shelf in my garage, which is a medium soft mixed it's had maybe a months use or less
Thanks I G, I'll take a look into them. I worked with the Extreme sill brush again today and got on much better with it. Yesterday I also dug out my Gardiner's swivel, been on a shelf in the van for ages, only ever having been used for a very short trial, which wasn't really a fair trial for it. I got on better with that too, so I have been working with two unfamiliar pieces of equipment. 

A lot of the trouble is when equipment works well and feels comfortable to me, It becomes almost part of me so anything else feels alien for a while, till I get used to it. Like driving someone else's car. 

Latest Posts

Back