Welcome guest/lurker! Read more... ×
Gasket

Univalve help

Gasket

Got a split in pole hose today , when changing I had to pull quite hard and twist to get off the univalve. After reattaching the univalve won’t turn off,

nothing appears to be broken inside and the valve is operating and feeling as normal. There doesn’t seem to be much that can actually go wrong with them,

Any ideas ??

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Marko067

Possibly pushed the hose on with the valve in the open position maybe?

spruce
On 06/09/2018 at 16:23, Gasket said:

Got a split in pole hose today , when changing I had to pull quite hard and twist to get off the univalve. After reattaching the univalve won’t turn off,

nothing appears to be broken inside and the valve is operating and feeling as normal. There doesn’t seem to be much that can actually go wrong with them,

Any ideas ??

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I'm guessing you've put it back on the right way round with the fixed side of the Univalve pointing at the brush head.

If that's the right way, have you not pushed the pole hose on to the barb too far. If you have this will stop the valve from completely returning to its closed position.

The only other thing I can think of is the tiny o ring at the very end of the 'plunger' inside has come off. That happened to me and the O ring was still in the outlet barb. Quite why that should happen when changing the pole hose doesn't add up.

When taking the pole hose off the easiest way is to carefully cut a slit in the hose over the barb section with a sharp blade without cutting into the plastic barb itself. The hose will then peel off.

Gasket

Cheers guys , it’s in the right way but I will check your other suggestions. To be fair I had to really tug and yank at it to get the pole hose off, however can’t see any damage or bends to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

Jake J

Take care when removing the univalve from the hose !!..........I managed to snap the stem on mine last time I attempted removing it. Expensive Mistake $$$$

Sent from my iPad using Window Cleaning Forums

Mcsandlaly

IF using the pu hose I dont bother using tags or fittings to fix it to the univalve as using the metal orings makes it hard to get them off when rusty and older.  The hose seems to stick or cling to the plastic univalve okay without any fittings. I do have an oring fitting at the top of the brush to stop it pulling out of the brush fitting if that makes sense.

Gasket

Guys thanks for your help , I removed the new o ring and lowered the inlet hose by a couple of mm and it works. Strange Cos it felt like it was operating perfectly fine , thats why I thought it was something internally. Shame I brought the replacement so soon lol. Thanks again everyone

scottish cleaning service

It happened to me also. A guy on the forum mentioned he doesn't use o rings to secure the hose. All he does is use the orange hose and once its on you cant get it off again. I tried it and it works great, no need to fit an o ring to a univalve again. :1f609:

Marko067
2 hours ago, Gasket said:

Guys thanks for your help , I removed the new o ring and lowered the inlet hose by a couple of mm and it works. Strange Cos it felt like it was operating perfectly fine , thats why I thought it was something internally. Shame I brought the replacement so soon lol. Thanks again everyone

Yeah, if that hose is pushed on too far it prevents the whole moving centre section from fully closing. If you take one apart you’ll see why that stops it shutting off the flow.

Tim H

Uni valves are fantastic but once installed are often difficult to remove. I have a straight push fit connector either side of the uni valve. So if the uni valve breaks or the hose splits any parts can be removed easily and quickly, so you can get on with the days work. 

1536504305755.jpg

Edited by Tim H