Camberley Window Cleaning

I just started window cleaning (WFP)

Davy G

I no longer take on jobs that involve going through the house, either. I still have some but as I say I'm not taking any more on. They are a pain, what with folk needing to be in, doors banging in the wind and trying not to get carpets dirty.

I'm lucky enough to have enough work with semi's, detached etc. Though I fully understand that folk starting out might not have the luxury of turning down work that may not be ideal. 

I'd say for anyone canvassing; don't necessarily accept or target everything and anything. I'd target the areas and house types that you would like to be working with long term, if possible. 

1 hour ago, Davit said:

You might struggle to get folks to agree to any sort of terms & conditions... Especially those "off the grid" kind of customers who only pay by cash and you don't even know their name 😂

Nowt wrong with the Queen's currency, Davit. 😁

Tango
18 hours ago, Pane said:

Hey Tango.Dont forget the trolley on wheels might weigh 30 kgs...then upto 50 kgs of Pure Water inside..thats nearly 80 (even) kgs mate!...

As long as youve got an extended water line,to go via someones house.Should be ok.

I use the gardiner back pack on a clarke strong arm folding trolley. Back pack is around 8kg empty i think, + 23L of water (at around 1kg per L) so that's around 31Kg. Okay.. the trolley weighs around 7 too so around 38 i think all in at a push..

13 hours ago, Pjj said:

would it not be easier to take the hose through the house and leave the trolley out the front that’s what I did years ago , don’t do that type of work any more though but if starting out that’s how I would do it 

Gardiner say the BP should be limited to 20m of hose. Besides, how on earth would I do the rear door with the hose going through it? - couldn't close it properly! Must confess though I did wonder about doing it this way after reading a few other users saying they use longer lengths of hose than recommended but all the time i still had a warranty on the pump i wasn't going to be doing that.

I still need to hack a remote control into it. Apparently the pure freedom trolley already has one, can't see why Alex hasn't done this too but i'll hack my own in at some point when i can afford some 3.3v regulator chips for the RF transceivers lol.

Admittedly though i can't really be bothered with terraced houses and do try to avoid them but i will do them if requested but i won't knock on their doors.

wezza13
5 hours ago, Tango said:

Gardiner say the BP should be limited to 20m of hose. Besides, how on earth would I do the rear door with the hose going through it? - couldn't close it properly!

Do the back door by hand - spray some purified water on it (out of a spray bottle) then wipe with microfibre cloth to get all the dirt off, then finish with a glass scrim. 

Or, do what I do, and unclip the microbore from inside the pole and feed hose through a letterbox or cat-flap then reattach.

If you're unable to do those, then get the customer to hold the door shut, just enough to allow your hose to be through but not pinched 👍

Pane
50 minutes ago, wezza13 said:

Do the back door by hand - spray some purified water on it (out of a spray bottle) then wipe with microfibre cloth to get all the dirt off, then finish with a glass scrim. 

Or, do what I do, and unclip the microbore from inside the pole and feed hose through a letterbox or cat-flap then reattach.

If you're unable to do those, then get the customer to hold the door shut, just enough to allow your hose to be through but not pinched 👍

To be honest guys.With all the above advice,me included.I think in future,i'll be sticking with houses i can get round with an opening a side gate or detached.Unless of course,owners approach me.Havent got time to mess about to be fair.Im trying to build a business up.If their abhorrent about it,i wont bother,nice about it.Then i'll have alook & may do it.They could recommend.

Edited by Pane

Pjj
6 hours ago, Tango said:

I use the gardiner back pack on a clarke strong arm folding trolley. Back pack is around 8kg empty i think, + 23L of water (at around 1kg per L) so that's around 31Kg. Okay.. the trolley weighs around 7 too so around 38 i think all in at a push..

Gardiner say the BP should be limited to 20m of hose. Besides, how on earth would I do the rear door with the hose going through it? - couldn't close it properly! Must confess though I did wonder about doing it this way after reading a few other users saying they use longer lengths of hose than recommended but all the time i still had a warranty on the pump i wasn't going to be doing that.

I still need to hack a remote control into it. Apparently the pure freedom trolley already has one, can't see why Alex hasn't done this too but i'll hack my own in at some point when i can afford some 3.3v regulator chips for the RF transceivers lol.

Admittedly though i can't really be bothered with terraced houses and do try to avoid them but i will do them if requested but i won't knock on their doors.

you just shut the hose in the corner of the door , and don’t dead lock it don’t usually have a problem, but I agree it’s not ideal . But will do the job 

Skxawng
On 23/10/2019 at 08:19, Pjj said:

you just shut the hose in the corner of the door , and don’t dead lock it don’t usually have a problem, but I agree it’s not ideal . But will do the job 

If it's an inward opening door, I find it works well if you trap the hose in the top corner rather than the bottom because then the door doesn't let water in.

MCWC

I'm sure this has been covered but I keep getting confused 

Was just updating the books and putting down expenses asd income and stuff and obviously if I buy new gear like poles/van/trolley/trad gear it's a business expense 

My confusion is travel expenses I read online the standard is 45p a mile and I only put that to the destination not back is that right

Eg if house is 20 miles away is that a 40 mile trip or 20 keep in mind thst I some days only have the o e house to do as I'm still full time in my other job and honestly can't fit more in because of shift pattern and returning to pick up gear and travelling to them

Thanks in advance guys

Part Timer

Full journey, legally you're supposed to keep a list of where you have actually driven to. This is a full itinerary, so 1st house mileage, second house etc. Before everyone says they don't do this and haven't been asked to by their Accountant, if you get inspected by the tax man and he deems your claim to be high he will ask you where you have been. Not remembering isn't an excuse. 

MCWC

OK great full journey 

Remembering shouldn't be a  problem using the squeegee app so it has the details saved in there 

And I'm aware that I would charge for Eg 10 for the first house then the distance between it and the next house which is handy the squeegee app gives me the distance between there too I know some people on here have had problems or issues with it but maybe I'm just not big enough to be experiencing those issues yet

Took your advice part timer too bought some trad gear to do some internal cleans and then also thought it may also be a bonus over the winter incase of a bad winter and don't want to be leaving puddles on the ground to freeze for people to fall on so maybe trad them and sprinkle a little salt underneath the windows for the drips 

But wajt to use to stop the water freezing on the glass (hopefully it doesn't happen but failing to prepare and all that) someone advised buying the windscreen solution and using it I know halfords sell one that has a up to -10 as bought it a couple years back fory car didn't much like the scent put on it though 

MCWC

How is all my fellow newbies finding their first winter so far

Pane
35 minutes ago, MCWC said:

Not to bad thanks mate...Business is picking up..Albeit...very slowly but getting there👍😁...Thanks for asking MCWC.

MCWC

Me to man business is slowly picking up and I figure if I'm able to pick up work this time of year then spring should be booming lol

Up to 50 regular cleans a month with approx 10/15 random one offs or I'll give you a call when I need you

Funny thing is approx 4/5 of the one off have called me back multiple times lol

Still working full time in my other place and finding it a stretch to get both done but if I can double my work by end of spring I will swap around and do wi dows full time and part time where I am now 

scottish cleaning service

I picked up two new customers today. One said she had phoned 3 window cleaners and they said they don't do her area. She found me on Google, I was working round the corner from her and I told her £15 a month and she was very happy but she is a principle teacher. Next one will be a tenner a month and I'll probably get it because not much competition as it seems to be a dying trade in Paisley at the moment. I missed out on one new customer because his wife met someone on a bus. Anyhow the guy is only charging £6 but I told the customer I would have been a tenner a month. Did his gutters this week and he told me he is not happy with the new guy's work. I said what do you expect for £6, I charge more but take my time, I told him. I guess I will add him to my books soon because I do the rest of the block. Once you start picking up new customers it seems to gain motion all by itself. That's what I'm experiencing. fwiw

MCWC

And I started a refferal promotion also so that's helping too a little but not as much as I was hoping but maybe I just promote that again and again and maybe it will pay off

Going to offer internals now also in the run up to Xmas as people will have family over and will want to have everything spick and span just need to get more trad gear will get during the week and start offering it from December 

scottish cleaning service
20 minutes ago, MCWC said:

And I started a refferal promotion also so that's helping too a little but not as much as I was hoping but maybe I just promote that again and again and maybe it will pay off

Going to offer internals now also in the run up to Xmas as people will have family over and will want to have everything spick and span just need to get more trad gear will get during the week and start offering it from December 

I have one of these for internals, doesn't use much water.

https://windowcleaningwarehouse.co.uk/products/moerman-combinator?variant=19114558292037&currency=GBP&utm_campaign=gs-2019-09-19&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIh678yv_x5QIVQrDtCh2lmgzbEAQYESABEgKUgfD_BwE

Pane
12 hours ago, MCWC said:

Me to man business is slowly picking up and I figure if I'm able to pick up work this time of year then spring should be booming lol

Up to 50 regular cleans a month with approx 10/15 random one offs or I'll give you a call when I need you

Still working full time in my other place and finding it a stretch to get both done but if I can double my work by end of spring I will swap around and do wi dows full time and part time where I am now 

Hopefully Spring will be booming👍😁....

Im getting more enquiries,its Hopefilly gonna start to snowball in the NYear 👍...then i can organise clients appropriately.

Edited by Pane

MCWC

I just going to go to local hardware store apparently they have basic unger tools will pick some of them up hope they have different size channels as some windows like to be awkward and be too small for a 14" blade lol

Yea and hopefully it snowballs over the winter (pardon the pun) 

U guys put much thought into water freezing and putting stuff down kinda just thinking of getting salts to put where the water ends up 

mike007
12 hours ago, MCWC said:

Not my first, but so far think my wettest, normal winter weather is not too bad, even the colder days after the first house of the day is done.

mike007
11 hours ago, MCWC said:

It is hard to maintain a full time job while building a round...usually something has to give...but hope you succeed.

11 hours ago, MCWC said:

Have two internals booked in for week before Xmas so far,usually shy away from them other than the odd window over a sink for a pensioner or two...but extra money for holiday period when not working, and they are regular customers.

Pane
11 hours ago, scottish cleaning service said:

Just NEED to make sure with Internal Clean work youve adequate Public Liability Insurance.You could be facing alot of persistant,un needed hassle.