Before posting a new topic please use the search feature. Duplicate posts may be removed or merged with others.

Start new topic

Mr JTPhill

Help please - Changing over from traditional

Mr JTPhill

Hi there changing over soon from traditional to water fed pole system. Does anyone know the solution best used to clean the windows with for the last time before moving over ? Heard it helps with the transition 

Edited by Mr JTPhill
Help

Iron Giant
1 hour ago, Mr JTPhill said:

Hi there changing over soon from traditional to water fed pole system. Does anyone know the solution best used to clean the windows with for the last time before moving over ? Heard it helps with the transition 

There really isn't to be honest, you could wipe down all the frames if you don't already and this would help somewhat but not a great deal, as all your jobs will be classed as first cleans and they will all take 3-4 times longer on a first clean to get the frames, glass and sills up to standard. 

A lot of people assume it's a quick transition but it really isn't and you can't whizz through your work until you have fully mastered the basics of wfp

Part Timer

Quite often on a first wfp clean, after trad, you get spotting from the top seals,  which is soapy suds leeching out. Possibly trying to remove this might make the transition smoother. 

Mr JTPhill
1 hour ago, Iron Giant said:

There really isn't to be honest, you could wipe down all the frames if you don't already and this would help somewhat but not a great deal, as all your jobs will be classed as first cleans and they will all take 3-4 times longer on a first clean to get the frames, glass and sills up to standard. 

A lot of people assume it's a quick transition but it really isn't and you can't whizz through your work until you have fully mastered the basics of wfp

Thank you 

Thanks 

Suhrly

My advice would be to make sure the frames are as clean as you can get them. Especially the tops and vents as much as you can by hand.

spruce

My advice would be not to change the whole round over in one go, especially as we are heading into winter now. Do it in stages. As @Iron Giant has said, each house will take you 3 to 4 times longer. That will initially impact on your income. It will catch up later though. Some might disagree; that's fine. Its up to you.

We bought a compact trad round. When we changed this new round over I did it all at once. 90% of the houses are dormers so I wasn't going to walk across roofs. We also needed to do it quickly to 'keep our foot in the door' before news got around. I did the complete house, frames, glass and sills, giving each window a good scrub and rinse. I then moved onto the house next door and did the same again. I then moved onto the third house and repeated that. I then went back to the first house and did the glass only - tops all the way round and then bottoms all the way round. I moved onto the second house and then the third.

I then came back and checked each window for streaks. (The previous cleaners had only done glass and the frames were minging.)  I had to redo the odd few windows a third time that still had streaks. I then knocked for payment when the windows were spot free.

On one house I just bladed those south facing windows off and made a note that if they continued to create trouble after a few cleans I would discontinue our service to them. There was no issue with the next clean. I learnt that just because I couldn't get them right to start with didn't mean they wouldn't come right within a few cleans.

I used around 550 liters a day and did around 6 to 8 houses. These were the days before flow controllers. We used 1/2" garden hose and our brushes had 3mm jets. We were also new to WFP so definitely used more water per day than we would if we were doing the same again. It was also in May so the days were getting longer. No Alex yet with carbon fibre poles or wfp brushes (he was still in high school then 😂). It was a heavy Vikan oval on the end of an Unger Teleplus ali pole.

Another thing we didn't count on was the cleaning schedule. The round was done trad every 2 weeks. Within a few months we started to get "please leave it this time as they are still clean." Within no time the whole round was doing it. I wasn't prepared for this.

We also have a number of houses with top fly windows above a large glass pane underneath. These can be a wfp nightmare as dirty water drains from the top glass and leaves a streak down the middle of the glass below. Even today we do the top openers first and let them finish draining down before cleaning the glass below.

Make it your resolve not to go back to trad. There will be some who prefer the old way, but stick to your decision. They might threaten you with them discontinuing your service, but with fewer and fewer trad cleaners, replacing you will be a challenge for them Your results won't be perfect to begin with - be honest about it but don't make a big deal of it. Your safety is paramount. You don't want to be like that windie I've mentioned before who fell off his ladders and received life changing injuries. He will never walk again.

Edited by spruce

Don Logan

Just make sure you work top to bottom and on the first clean rinse off the glass