Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Best gloves for winter

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Immersion heater can run off leisure battery ?
No, absolutely. Full mains only. 2kw on a trade rated extension cable with a 13 amp three pin plug. Mine goes on as soon as the van tank is filled up in the afternoon ready for the next day.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, absolutely. Full mains only. 2kw on a trade rated extension cable with a 13 amp three pin plug. Mine goes on as soon as the van tank is filled up in the afternoon ready for the next day.
Thought so

impossible in my current situation

gloves it is

have plenty of packs of little hotties hand warmers down the shed too, swear I bought a box of 50-100 orso years ago ?

The hot system comes into its own for  keeping your hands warm , we never wear gloves ????, sometimes have to hold a scrim around the hose when winding it in as it’s so hot it burns your Hands ????????
I was just watching an old Squeaky Clean Dave video from 2017, he put a 2kw immersion heater in the tank, insulated it. 

What system do you have Pjj? is it the same kind of set up, ie heat the water up over night for the next day

I was just watching an old Squeaky Clean Dave video from 2017, he put a 2kw immersion heater in the tank, insulated it. 

What system do you have Pjj? is it the same kind of set up, ie heat the water up over night for the next day
No I have a 9 kw diesel boilers in all my vans , but if you want cheap warm water the immersion route is a good one will stop freezing up supple hoses and easier cleaning especially in winter 

Many factors are involved. Water temperature you want , how much water you are trying heat up , how well the tank is insulated , temperature of water at the start of heating , and cost of electric power kw , all very difficult to work out 
Aye, I think it would be alot more expensive than we think and you would need to keep the water hot. With the diesel heater it continues to heat the water and return to tank. At the end of day my tank is nice and hot because I only use one reel at a time and swap about at each job. Nothing comes close to the Webasto heater after I gave it alot of thought. I can't see anything in the near future overtaking it so will be sticking with diesel for my new van and 9kw heater.

I have a2kw heater but only heat a insulated 325l tank doesn’t take long to get up to 55 degrees and only drops a few degree of the course of the day. 
my new electric  tariff /charge is just under 22p a kWh, havnt timed how long it takes to get up to temperature? 
The cost is worth it to me for warm hands and a supple hose in the midst of winter ?

cheap to install and no maintenance costs and probably less than the ever increasing diesel costs. 

I had installed a diesel heater in my campervan and used heating instead of diesel as it is a third of the cost compared to diesel. 

I have a2kw heater but only heat a insulated 325l tank doesn’t take long to get up to 55 degrees and only drops a few degree of the course of the day. 
my new electric  tariff /charge is just under 22p a kWh, havnt timed how long it takes to get up to temperature? 
The cost is worth it to me for warm hands and a supple hose in the midst of winter ?

cheap to install and no maintenance costs and probably less than the ever increasing diesel costs. 

I had installed a diesel heater in my campervan and used heating instead of diesel as it is a third of the cost compared to diesel. 
I work it out at a fiver for 10 hours unless it takes less than this.

Why would you need hot water at the end of the day? Don’t make sense I’m normally nearly empty at the end of the day lol.

How much does diesel does your heater use in litres or money? 

can’t see it be any cheaper than heating my 325l for a days working. 

I wonder how much money it costs to heat the water with an immersion system?
Calculate the kilowatt-hours (kWh) required to heat the water using the following formula: Pt = (4.2 × L × T ) ÷ 3600. Pt is the power used to heat the water, in kWh. L is the number of litres of water that is being heated and T is the difference in temperature from what you started with, listed in degrees Celsius.

So say 400lts starting at 10 degC going to 50 degC = (4.2 X 400 X40)/3600 = 18.6Kw so a 2Kw element would take 9 hrs to heat 400 lts from 10DegC to 50DegC. Currently electricity is about 17p per Kw hr. 

Cost would be about £3.20 a day. So ignoring the cost of diesel about 5 years before it is as expensive as buying a diesel heater (also ignoring the cost of diesel heater servicing) on the assumption you heat the water 220 days a year!

The above is a very very basic calculation and not a very accurate one as thermal losses are not taken into consideration etc.

Heating by electricity is a cheap option but it's not suitable for everyone, a diesel heater can be used on demand and is also available if you top up water during the day.

Aye, I think it would be alot more expensive than we think and you would need to keep the water hot. With the diesel heater it continues to heat the water and return to tank. At the end of day my tank is nice and hot because I only use one reel at a time and swap about at each job. Nothing comes close to the Webasto heater after I gave it alot of thought. I can't see anything in the near future overtaking it so will be sticking with diesel for my new van and 9kw heater.
Why would you need hot water at the end of the day? Don’t make sense I’m normally nearly empty at the end of the day lol.

How much does diesel does your heater use in litres or money? 

can’t see it be any cheaper than heating my 325l for a days working. 

Assuming I use hot water for 20 days a year at approx £2.50 a day to heat so £50 a year to run.

How much is a yearly service for a diesel heater? 

honestly I did seriously think about getting a hotwater diesel system but after a lot of research and how often I personally would need it as only wanted for cold days. For example I defo don’t need it for dirty cladding commercial properties like @ppj would benefit from as I don’t clean them.

Assuming I use hot water for 20 days a year at approx £2.50 a day to heat so £50 a year to run.

How much is a yearly service for a diesel heater? 

honestly I did seriously think about getting a hotwater diesel system but after a lot of research and how often I personally would need it as only wanted for cold days. For example I defo don’t need it for dirty cladding commercial properties like @ppj would benefit from as I don’t clean them.
We do a lot of commercial building cleans doing a large school next week hot is so much quicker for this type of work , also doing a lot of costal salty stuff again it’s so much easier and quicker , but it’s not cheap to buy or run but for us it’s a no brainier , I would never go back to cold , however each to their own .

We do a lot of commercial building cleans doing a large school next week hot is so much quicker for this type of work , also doing a lot of costal salty stuff again it’s so much easier and quicker , but it’s not cheap to buy or run but for us it’s a no brainier , I would never go back to cold , however each to their own .
Can imagine seagull mess, salty water etc having hot being an asset, we are inland which helps, must admit we used to cleans some houseboats on the river crouch and there is a difference with the salt water ?

One thing I have noticed with hot after 50 degrees brush end is that snail trails disappear easier. 

Back