Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Best gloves for winter

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I have issues with nerve damage after breaking my back, once the temp dips below 8c my fingers can start to feel numb, it's exactly the same with my feet, our fingers in this job don't move all that much so my hands can go ice cold and be quite painful rapidly on a winters day I have even tried taking painkillers to manage the pain but nowt works 
Ouch! That's not easy for you. ? Merino wool has great thermal properties and doesn't get smelly as quickly as most materials. It's great for socks and underwear but I don't know if it would be hard wearing enough for gloves. Bamboo fibre is nice next to the skin too but I don't know if it's as warm..

Can be dog doo doo on roads and paths too and it’s not always visible it can be dissolved down into the general grimy muck that’s about

and to think some people will gladly eat their sandwiches with those hands ??
It's never killed me..my grandad used to give me sandwiches and crisps down the allotment with mud and worms on my hands when I was a kid.

It builds a healthy immune system which is why the last cold I had was over 3 years ago.

He always said you got to eat a bucket of ? before it kills you.

It's never killed me..my grandad used to give me sandwiches and crisps down the allotment with mud and worms on my hands when I was a kid.

It builds a healthy immune system which is why the last cold I had was over 3 years ago.

He always said you got to eat a bucket of ? before it kills you.
I think there's a lot of truth to that. I don't think farm folk get a lot of allergies or stomach upsets, kids or adults. Or outdoor workers in general. I never knew anyone prone to sickness when I worked on roadworks and we were always picking up road cones, signs and tools off the ground. This was in the days before people took care of where their dogs emptied, or cleared up after them. Traffic cones were just as much a magnet to dogs as trees and lamp posts. We didn't have hand washing facilities in our vans. We would find a way if it was obviously on our hands. But generally we just got on with it as best we could, sandwiches and all. Not saying it isn't better to keep our hands clean when we can of course.

I prefer to have bare hands and wash them a few times a day with the wfp equipment and soapmix hand sprayer rather than use gloves or cloths which will hold the germs and allow them to fester for longer while providing a false sense of security. If anyone doubts this have a sniff of a washing up sponge or a dishcloth after it's been used a couple of times. ??

I think there's a lot of truth to that. I don't think farm folk get a lot of allergies or stomach upsets, kids or adults. Or outdoor workers in general. I never knew anyone prone to sickness when I worked on roadworks and we were always picking up road cones, signs and tools off the ground. This was in the days before people took care of where their dogs emptied, or cleared up after them. Traffic cones were just as much a magnet to dogs as trees and lamp posts. We didn't have hand washing facilities in our vans. We would find a way if it was obviously on our hands. But generally we just got on with it as best we could, sandwiches and all. Not saying it isn't better to keep our hands clean when we can of course.

I prefer to have bare hands and wash them a few times a day with the wfp equipment and soapmix hand sprayer rather than use gloves or cloths which will hold the germs and allow them to fester for longer while providing a false sense of security. If anyone doubts this have a sniff of a washing up sponge or a dishcloth after it's been used a couple of times. ??
There are more germs in your mouth then on the floor.

Ouch! That's not easy for you. ? Merino wool has great thermal properties and doesn't get smelly as quickly as most materials. It's great for socks and underwear but I don't know if it would be hard wearing enough for gloves. Bamboo fibre is nice next to the skin too but I don't know if it's as warm..
We all have our crosses to bare mate, I use Berghaus ski glove liners they are synthetic but an ideal glove liner as they are smooth like silk and ideal with the fleece lined Skytec gloves as they  don't tend to snag on the skytec glove lining and pull it out a bit so easy on and easy off 

I have issues with nerve damage after breaking my back, once the temp dips below 8c my fingers can start to feel numb, it's exactly the same with my feet, our fingers in this job don't move all that much so my hands can go ice cold and be quite painful rapidly on a winters day I have even tried taking painkillers to manage the pain but nowt works 
Not sure if you've tried those cheap hand warmer tea bag looking things before. I tried them last winter and they kept my hands lovely and warm. I bought them in packets of 6 from b&m for like a pound. Each hand warmer was lasting me around 30 minutes. Just plop one in your gloves and should keep your hands nice and warm. 

We all have our crosses to bare mate, I use Berghaus ski glove liners they are synthetic but an ideal glove liner as they are smooth like silk and ideal with the fleece lined Skytec gloves as they  don't tend to snag on the skytec glove lining and pull it out a bit so easy on and easy off 
You can't beat liners 

Not sure if you've tried those cheap hand warmer tea bag looking things before. I tried them last winter and they kept my hands lovely and warm. I bought them in packets of 6 from b&m for like a pound. Each hand warmer was lasting me around 30 minutes. Just plop one in your gloves and should keep your hands nice and warm. 
I use a carbon rod hand warmer.

You light the block and let it start glowing then close it and shove it in your pocket.

I stick it in my hoodie pocket and it keeps my whole front warm and shove my hands in there if getting a bit cold.

You light the block and let it start glowing then close it and shove it in your pocket.

I stick it in my hoodie pocket and it keeps my whole front warm and shove my hands in there if getting a bit cold.
I haven't used one of those since I was a kid 

It's the top of my shoulders that feel the cold/damp, can't stand it, rest of my body is toasty when working.

Been asking the mother in law about making me something I can put those small disposable hand warmers in to sit on my shoulders.

Also looking at the heated body warmers that have heated shoulders, but not keen on wearing a body warmer.

I remember them from when i was a kid, I have a zippo handwarmer which uses their lighter fuel and does the same job.

I found them ? in the past also they are a throw away one use item which I prefer not to use. 

If you guys/gals wear a hoodie, If the weather is bone chillin take one of the heating pads that they sell over the counter they are used to help back or any kinda joint pain.  They are large in size but perfect in the hoodie pouch and stay warm for about 8hrs. It helps to keep your core warm and when your hands feel the chill stuff your hands in that hoodie pouch and your good to go!

One of the best winter (warmth) hacks I've come across.

20211021_093157.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I  dont rate Skytech Argon.  The insides come away from the fingers and the amount of time it takes to get them to slot back in I  just end up cutting the inside lining out of the glove. 282 are good just dont machine wash them as the same thing happens to them.

Back