Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Best gloves for winter

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Can imagine seagull mess, salty water etc having hot being an asset, we are inland which helps, must admit we used to cleans some houseboats on the river crouch and there is a difference with the salt water ?

One thing I have noticed with hot after 50 degrees brush end is that snail trails disappear easier. 
Yes you are right this school we are cleaning next week is covered  with seagull poo the school governors have declared it a health hazard it’s that bad , it’s still not going to look very good though as the poo has permanently bleached the colour out of the plastic coated surface we did do a test patch and I wasn’t happy with the results to be honest it is clean but badly bleached but at least it’s clean and should remove the smell as well , I can do nothing about the permanent staining 

£120 for heater flange parts and plug I’ve been quoted off a mate

hot water next week ?????
Just make sure you have a good quality extension cable and always unwind all the cable from the reel. If a reel is not unwound then it could catch fire!!!!!

If you mate is a good electrician it might be worth getting to add a level switch and relay so that the immersion heater can't be switched on unless there is a decent amount of water in the tank.

Good luck and let us know how you get on. 

Just make sure you have a good quality extension cable and always unwind all the cable from the reel. If a reel is not unwound then it could catch fire!!!!!

If you mate is a good electrician it might be worth getting to add a level switch and relay so that the immersion heater can't be switched on unless there is a decent amount of water in the tank.

Good luck and let us know how you get on. 
My Mates a plumber ????‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️

how long does it take to fully heat up

I would be filling water up before turning it on so that wouldn’t be an issue 

probably will only use it in winter months cus I’m too tight and will get moaned at about using loads of electric by mrs?

Last edited by a moderator:
£120 for heater flange parts and plug I’ve been quoted off a mate

hot water next week ?????
Make sure that he mounts it as low as sensibly possible in the tank. Below the lid so that the inside can be reached through the filler cap. Think of future access in the event of eventually replacing the immersion though I'd expect at least two or three years of sterling service from each one. I have two spares for the eventual event, both tested and ready to go as they will be out of warranty when needed. Edit: Just Re-reading my post. Wow! So many events going on!! ?

My immersion is easily accessed while standing outside the left side sliding door. Make sure that it is 2kw maximum otherwise you will need to run a dedicated 16 amp supply from your electrical consumer unit/fuse box to your plug socket. I wouldn't go above 2kw for fire safety. Make sure that you use 13 amp rated flex cable long enough to reach the van door with at least a couple of metres spare to allow it to rest on the ground. You will need clear and easy access to plug in to your extension cable and a 13 amp plug. Make sure that you buy or even better assemble yourself a 13 amp rated extension cable to reach from the van to the power socket. I fitted an outdoor double socket adjacent to the van parking space on the drive with led lights so that any family member can check on passing that it's switched on. The extension is put in the back door protected by the rubber door seal and the immersion plugged into it in the van.

Also, more important than some people might realise. Fit lashings of insulation around and on top and if possible under the tank. I fitted rubber matting under (Halfords interlocking garage floor tiles). At least four or five layers of foil backed bubble wrap around and on top in my case. It's cheap, compact, easy to use, impervious to water. Cut access flaps for filler cap and for access to the immersion.

Apologies if I'm teaching you or your mate how to suck eggs. Not my intention. Just don't want you to make any mistakes. I think he's doing you a very fair price.

I plug in as soon as I've filled up in the afternoon. Makes no significant difference to energy consumption as once up to temp it will only kick back in infrequently for very short periods due to the thorough insulation job.

Last edited by a moderator:
Make sure that he mounts it as low as sensibly possible in the tank. Below the lid so that the inside can be reached through the filler cap. Think of future access in the event of eventually replacing the immersion though I'd expect at least two or three years of sterling service from each one. I have two spares for the eventual event, both tested and ready to go as they will be out of warranty when needed. Edit: Just Re-reading my post. Wow! So many events going on!! ?

My immersion is easily accessed while standing outside the left side sliding door. Make sure that it is 2kw maximum otherwise you will need to run a dedicated 16 amp supply from your electrical consumer unit/fuse box to your plug socket. I wouldn't go above 2kw for fire safety. Make sure that you use 13 amp rated flex cable long enough to reach the van door with at least a couple of metres spare to allow it to rest on the ground. You will need clear and easy access to plug in to your extension cable and a 13 amp plug. Make sure that you buy or even better assemble yourself a 13 amp rated extension cable to reach from the van to the power socket. I fitted an outdoor double socket adjacent to the van parking space on the drive with led lights so that any family member can check on passing that it's switched on. The extension is put in the back door protected by the rubber door seal and the immersion plugged into it in the van.

Also, more important than some people might realise. Fit lashings of insulation around and on top and if possible under the tank. I fitted rubber matting under (Halfords interlocking garage floor tiles). At least four or five layers of foil backed bubble wrap around and on top in my case. It's cheap, compact, easy to use, impervious to water. Cut access flaps for filler cap and for access to the immersion.

Apologies if I'm teaching you or your mate how to suck eggs. Not my intention. Just don't want you to make any mistakes. I think he's doing you a very fair price.

I plug in as soon as I've filled up in the afternoon. Makes no significant difference to energy consumption as once up to temp it will only kick back in infrequently for very short periods due to the thorough insulation job.
Not at all teaching how to suck eggs that’s very informative Thankyou , he knows about immersions and flanges etc but I’m grateful for all advice 

Thankyou very much

Not at all teaching how to suck eggs that’s very informative Thankyou , he knows about immersions and flanges etc but I’m grateful for all advice 

Thankyou very much
Don't forget to take some pics, would be good to know what insulation he uses ?

I have met old windies and old women cleaners and their hands were blown up with arthritis. They said it was because their hands were in hot and cold water all day when working. So from day one I've worn water proof gloves like a dentist. Worked it out at 40p a day if they last the full day or wear beneath gripper gloves. Hands seem fine after 4 years of cleaning. ? 

I hate wearing gloves, there has to be a serious wind chill for me to do so, or I'm playing with acid. I've never yet found a pair that didn't leave my hands a horrible sweaty mess in a fairly short period of time.

I hate wearing gloves, there has to be a serious wind chill for me to do so, or I'm playing with acid. I've never yet found a pair that didn't leave my hands a horrible sweaty mess in a fairly short period of time.
I've found the same. Which means in effect in the experiences I've had they weren't actually waterproof... Wet on the outside and festering sweat on the inside. I really don't understand the need and fuss so many people seem to have for waterproof gloves and dry hands. The water we use is at the brush not at the pole handle. We're in a temporate climate not the Arctic Circle. I rarely get uncomfortably cold or wet hands to a troubling degree. Mostly slightly damp for a few minutes. I can't remember the last time I felt the need for gloves.

For those that suffer from Arthritis or exceptionally cold hands it's a different story of course.

My thought has been to try some of those leather gardening gloves for properly cold days, the trouble is I've never been able to find a pair for man sized hands. ?

My thought has been to try some of those leather gardening gloves for properly cold days, the trouble is I've never been able to find a pair for man sized hands. ?
I think you're referring to rigger gloves. They can be reasonably warm but they can vary a lot in the cut and fit, especially the fingers. So many different makers. ??

Worth noting I wear them also for hygienic reasons especially since covid

i take mostly cash so dirty money needs a barrier

touching money , dog **** on the floor, general filth you drag your house through etc

i bite my nails do I can’t do it when I’ve got gloves on which is greAt. Plus you can’t use your phone which is another bonus as stops germs spreading onto that 

And the bitter winters get right at my hands so 2 or 3 pairs of gloves rotated throughout the day makes me happier than having wet frosted up fingers ??

Worth noting I wear them also for hygienic reasons especially since covid

i take mostly cash so dirty money needs a barrier

touching money , dog **** on the floor, general filth you drag your house through etc

i bite my nails do I can’t do it when I’ve got gloves on which is greAt. Plus you can’t use your phone which is another bonus as stops germs spreading onto that 

And the bitter winters get right at my hands so 2 or 3 pairs of gloves rotated throughout the day makes me happier than having wet frosted up fingers ??
We have dropped all houses with excessive dog poo for this reason , the odd one or two is ok but not great loads of it nothing worse than getting it all over the hose !!!!!!!!?????????

We have dropped all houses with excessive dog poo for this reason , the odd one or two is ok but not great loads of it nothing worse than getting it all over the hose !!!!!!!!?????????
I got the dreaded cat poo on everything today?.

I never wear gloves and also am usually in shorts all year round. 

Work quick and you'll stay warm

I had to wash my hands with neat hypo as I had some in the van.

Only thing I had that would make me 100% hygenic.

Used it like soap the washed them off in my trad bucket and poured that away.

I wouldn't recommend it but my skin does have a high tolerance to hypo so it's ok if quick..

Can be dog doo doo on roads and paths too and it’s not always visible it can be dissolved down into the general grimy muck that’s about

and to think some people will gladly eat their sandwiches with those hands ??

Can be dog doo doo on roads and paths too and it’s not always visible it can be dissolved down into the general grimy muck that’s about

and to think some people will gladly eat their sandwiches with those hands ??
General hygiene should dictate that you wash your hands before eating and drinking on any occasion not just whilst working , we use alcohol hand gel then rinse with pure before eating when working . 

Indeed and I do I have antibacterial hand wash and just use customers outside tap

Even though I don’t eat sandwiches and always have a meal with a fork ??

Not sure about washing hands before drinking my unless your scooping it in ???

I've found the same. Which means in effect in the experiences I've had they weren't actually waterproof... Wet on the outside and festering sweat on the inside. I really don't understand the need and fuss so many people seem to have for waterproof gloves and dry hands. The water we use is at the brush not at the pole handle. We're in a temporate climate not the Arctic Circle. I rarely get uncomfortably cold or wet hands to a troubling degree. Mostly slightly damp for a few minutes. I can't remember the last time I felt the need for gloves.

For those that suffer from Arthritis or exceptionally cold hands it's a different story of course.
I have issues with nerve damage after breaking my back, once the temp dips below 8c my fingers can start to feel numb, it's exactly the same with my feet, our fingers in this job don't move all that much so my hands can go ice cold and be quite painful rapidly on a winters day I have even tried taking painkillers to manage the pain but nowt works 

Back