Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Boots and waterproofing

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Bought this one. It's a beast. I can barely feel the pedals while driving in this ? It's only £28 on eBay at the moment.

dickies.jpg

That's where the £25 waterproof socks makes all the difference.
Surely if you have to buy waterproof socks you must be buying work boots that aren't fit for purpose in our climate. Leather all the way. Armstrong boots for me. A bit of dubbin rubbed in a few times a year. They never let water in. I NEVER get wet or cold feet. I wear just one pair of ordinary socks. They are the best boots I've ever worn  by far and I've been wearing work boots for forty years in every working condition you could imagine.

That's where the £25 waterproof socks makes all the difference.
Is that to go over the boots or on my feet ? these socks are pointless as the outer isn't waterproof they have a mid layer which is waterproof a bit like disposable gloves so the outer fabric gets wet or damp thus cold feet only benefit is your skin doesn't get wet, it baffles me how they get away with selling socks and gloves as waterproof.

Bottom line if you work in the rain and don't want wet feet then buy a pair of wellies for less than £40 because guess what peoples they are actually waterproof. 

Is that to go over the boots or on my feet ? these socks are pointless as the outer isn't waterproof they have a mid layer which is waterproof a bit like disposable gloves so the outer fabric gets wet or damp thus cold feet only benefit is your skin doesn't get wet, it baffles me how they get away with selling socks and gloves as waterproof.

Bottom line if you work in the rain and don't want wet feet then buy a pair of wellies for less than £40 because guess what peoples they are actually waterproof. 
And uncomfortable, unhealthy, cold, sweaty, smelly and ugly. Plus slow, dangerous and horrible to work in.

Totally unnecessary in our work unless possibly you spend your day stood in three inches of water and never set foot on any kind of ladder or step -up . Just saying. ?

Last edited by a moderator:
And uncomfortable, unhealthy, cold, sweaty, smelly and ugly. Plus slow, dangerous and horrible to work in.

Totally unnecessary in our work unless possibly you spend your day stood in three inches of water and never set foot on any kind of ladder or step -up . Just saying. ?
You can buy nice looking wellies these days that aren't as you describe ?

The small ankle wellies which are similar in size to a boot and made with 4mm neoprene are a lot better and some decent insoles in them and they are comfortable to work in all day, honest 

You can buy nice looking wellies these days that aren't as you describe ?

The small ankle wellies which are similar in size to a boot and made with 4mm neoprene are a lot better and some decent insoles in them and they are comfortable to work in all day, honest 
Nah! I'm very familiar with neoprene. The only reason I got into kayaking was so I could wear a rubber skirt (spraydeck) at the weekends ?. I wear neoprene socks and boots and wetsuit for kayaking. Up to eight or ten hours on occasions. They're not to keep my feet dry. They just keep them warm. They are in no way as healthy as a good pair of leather boots that have been treated with waterproof dubbin. I can tell you, you haven't lived till you've spent a night by a campfire with a pair of wetsuit boots drying (festering) in the heat.

I can't see our squaddies yomping the Brecon Beacons or storming Goose Green in wellies. No matter how short, colourful and dainty they might be. ?

Nah! I'm very familiar with neoprene. The only reason I got into kayaking was so I could wear a rubber skirt (spraydeck) at the weekends ?. I wear neoprene socks and boots and wetsuit for kayaking. Up to eight or ten hours on occasions. They're not to keep my feet dry. They just keep them warm. They are in no way as healthy as a good pair of leather boots that have been treated with waterproof dubbin. I can tell you, you haven't lived till you've spent a night by a campfire with a pair of wetsuit boots drying (festering) in the heat.

I can't see our squaddies yomping the Brecon Beacons or storming Goose Green in wellies. No matter how short, colourful and dainty they might be. ?
I need short and dainty as I've only got little legs ? I am saying nowt about you wearing skirts on weekends ?

Surely if you have to buy waterproof socks you must be buying work boots that aren't fit for purpose in our climate. Leather all the way. Armstrong boots for me. A bit of dubbin rubbed in a few times a year. They never let water in. I NEVER get wet or cold feet. I wear just one pair of ordinary socks. They are the best boots I've ever worn  by far and I've been wearing work boots for forty years in every working condition you could imagine.

Would that be the no risk Armstrong work boots Davy? Just shopping around thanks. Do they fit as per the size or do you go half bigger or are they okay size wise? Cheers thanks for your help.

Would that be the no risk Armstrong work boots Davy? Just shopping around thanks. Do they fit as per the size or do you go half bigger or are they okay size wise? Cheers thanks for your help.
Yes, that's the ones.
I find the fit perfectly matches my shoe size. I'm only a little lightweight by build. 5'6" or there about. 68kg, give or take, and size 7 dancing feet (both left ?).

I can't speak for the larger sizes obviously but I can see no reason why they wouldn't match size for size as well. I do wear a pair of insoles as well (got them from Go outdoors) just for the extra comfort but they fit fine without them.

I've never had cold or overly hot feet with them and I only wear one pair of decent ordinary socks. Years ago I had to wear two pairs of socks in the winter to keep my feet warm. A thick pair over a normal pair. I think the Cork insoles on the Armstrong are what makes the difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back