Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

cost of your van and system

WCF

Help Support WCF:

For those who were asking about the sacrificial tank in a crash, streamline do it

Haven't got one, just remembered watching it when researching

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you. I can promise I am not a manufacturer or selling anything. I am just a bloke that started a long long time ago & thought it might be cool to give something back & help others in repayment for the help I received in the start. As long as I can do that without damaging my company or reputation then I would like to contribute where I can. Thanks Iron.
I've read all the replies since you joined so I have no wrong perception of you, I can also fully appreciate where you are coming from on offering up advice and how you feel about your business and putting your name to advice and giving the right advice. 

Slightly of piste, Plenty lads pop up on here thinking they can jump straight into soft-washing there is very few on here who have the wealth of knowledge and experience so I always flag anyone with some words of caution who thinks anything is a walk in the park and trouble and hassle free this is the same across the board, people need a whole picture on something not spy hole view. 

42 minutes ago, CMcB said:

For those who were asking about the sacrificial tank in a crash, streamline do it

Thank you for that. That's exactly what I was envisaging. I had no idea anyone had done it. I'm very impressed that the front of the van wasn't crushed in, as the weight and force of the water was dissipated rather than adding to the forward thrusting force of the van weight and momentum.

Doesn't most of this come under the PUWER regulations rather then RAMS
Yeah, it does - from an equipment operational standpoint, your quite right.

If your business uses work equipment for others to use you must manage the risks from that equipment. This means you must:have done a risk assessment on all your equipment. So you are right PUWER regs is demanding that of us all. But how many do it or recognise they are legally bound by underwriting that risk?

Yeah, it does - from an equipment operational standpoint, your quite right.

If your business uses work equipment for others to use you must manage the risks from that equipment. This means you must:have done a risk assessment on all your equipment. So you are right PUWER regs is demanding that of us all. But how many do it or recognise they are legally bound by underwriting that risk?
I only know because a large Property Management Company asked me for my PUWER procedures 

Out of 'pro' forums you guys are the most friendly and helpful of all I have encountered.
I have to say, the moderators on here are very quick to jump onto a thread that may be getting out of hand. So I applaud them!

That is a good thing, keeps us all in check and stops us from saying/writing something we regret. After all we are all fellowmen in the same trade, and often something can read completely different to the context it was meant..

With regards to Lee Pryor, I have met him and he is one of the most down to earth, nicest blokes you will ever meet. 

The other forum jumped on him like a pack of wolves, and that spurred me and a few others to leave the forum too. 

I was diy for years with a tank in a L200 then for 12 months had a 350ltr tank strapped in my current van 64 plate combo, I drive like Miss Daisy most of the time but the one thing that started to spook was other peoples driving and the odd almost near miss through other drivers, so last year I headed off to PureFreedom and had my a frame and all the gubbins fitted around my 350ltr tank for around £1,300 this is a delivery system only for one man. 

@Rocco 2k sounds about right for a delivery system but there could be failings with an unregistered business and will this guy fit it as it should be done he 100% could, I would ask plenty of questions in an email to him so you have it in black and white and maybe cross reference with us if , I think in this day and age we are all a bit more sceptical  and rightly so with such a weight as full water tank in the back of a van. 

I know I will get slaughtered for saying this..but here goes...? £30k for a tank, some hose reels, and a bit of bolting up.?.someone is being ripped off there.

£2000 is way way way enough for a decent tank, hose, pump and di and ro. Fit it yourself, as long as you stay within the payload of the vehicle,  just fix/bolt to the factory loading points that are welded and designed into the chassis anyway for the correct payload, make sure you have a bulkhead you will be fine.

I once knew a local window cleaner who has since given up and sold off his van and equipment and gone back to building..he bought an ioconics thermopure system, brand new van the setup must of been around the ballpark of 30 grand...ludicrous money for a water tank with flashy stickers slapped on it..

He was dead proud of it at first, but became increasingly frustrated with being tied into the ionics nonsense with servicing, fixing it when it went wrong (and it did frequently) and having to find 800 quid a month in payments for the damn thing. He never made any money and complained about his customers constantly when we used to chat, clearly under far too much financial pressure he sold the business to someone else, and then after a while they seemed to also disappear off the face of the planet, I know as I picked up a load of work from his ex customers when they stopped coming.

I too fell for the marketing nonsense of these water fed system companies. When I first got into wfp I bought a Brodex system, what a piece of garbage that was, constantly breaking, having to go back to Brodex to buy what would normally be inexpensive plumbing fittings from a plumbing merchant, fittings from Brodex with horrendous markup, con con con..

Bedliner is another con, modern vans have adequate rust protection actually forged into the chemical makeup of the steel itself these days. 

Have you ever had to remove Bedliner? It's a nightmare, and will trap condensation against it and the metal anyway forcing it to corrode. Not to mention you need to replace a fuel pump in the fuel tank, or you need to access the chassis floor for servicing..

But at the end of the day if your happy to work hard to line the pockets of these companies that market these snake oil machines (which is what they are for these 30k machines) then you are welcome to. We also have an engineering business and you can get engineering equipment like lathes and mills for not much more than 30k.. ??? and those machines are propper precision instruments, not a plastic tank with a pump and some clever graphics slapped on the side..

Personally I prefer to reap the rewards of my work and keep my cash in my pocket, which is sort of the whole point of being in business..???

I await the onslaught of defence from those who waste their cash...?
whos paid £30k for a tank and hot water system then?i dont know any systems that cost that much......my 9kw diesel hot water system with frost stat,b to b charger,500L tank,pump,controller cost me just over  £5k and that includes fitting..perfectly affordable for many of us.....

If buying a new van and all kit new then yes it could cost 20-50 k depending what you get , but it can be done much cheaper , I now buy second hand systems re  furb them and says a small fortune, just finishing off the latest van with a thermopure system cost me around 4K not counting the van and it’s all like new 

whos paid £30k for a tank and hot water system then?i dont know any systems that cost that much......my 9kw diesel hot water system with frost stat,b to b charger,500L tank,pump,controller cost me just over  £5k and that includes fitting..perfectly affordable for many of us.....
Mine was less than £10k from Grippatank, 2 man system, remote electric reels and still got the button controller, 9kw webasto heater, RO and DI, 650l tank and speedliner. They fitted it in a week and as I was a newbie I could never have done it. Its the time that you save getting a new system fitted. Time is money for me so it made perfect sense to get it done in a week. If you have plenty of time then sure build a system and save a few bob but newbies will end up with a headache. I tried to get someone to build me a system but if fell through. I'm very glad now it fell through or I would never have met Oliver from Grippa who knows everything about this game. A good system builder is very hard to come by and don't give out their secrets unless you pay for them. ?

If buying a new van and all kit new then yes it could cost 20-50 k depending what you get , but it can be done much cheaper , I now buy second hand systems re  furb them and says a small fortune, just finishing off the latest van with a thermopure system cost me around 4K not counting the van and it’s all like new 
I am less than 8k in with mine, but if I went for a van fairly new high spec van 1-2 years old plus a new system then 100% the cost would be a great deal higher, I was looking at 10-12k vans but sacked it off money or vanity comes with age ?

I bought a brand new Fiat Ducato with a new 800l tank, van filtration system with booster pump, a hot water electric twin stack and got my Webasto hot water system stripped out of the old van, serviced and installed in the new one. Total bill was just less than £32k.

This will hopefully last 10 years plus so will cost, without repairs, £60 a week, after tax allowance thats £48. I would think even if I went the 10yr old van, DIY system etc etc it would cost at least £20 a week, £16 after tax, so for the extra £32 a week I'll take the stress free route everytime.

I bought a brand new Fiat Ducato with a new 800l tank, van filtration system with booster pump, a hot water electric twin stack and got my Webasto hot water system stripped out of the old van, serviced and installed in the new one. Total bill was just less than £32k.

This will hopefully last 10 years plus so will cost, without repairs, £60 a week, after tax allowance thats £48. I would think even if I went the 10yr old van, DIY system etc etc it would cost at least £20 a week, £16 after tax, so for the extra £32 a week I'll take the stress free route everytime.
Nearly as much as your beer bill. ??? from what you read on here ??

Latest Posts

Back