Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Family problems. Need advice

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I read the other day, the quickest way to become insane was to get involved in family disputes, may be some truth in that.
This is true about families.

I was at a party and thought it would be funny to shave off my nephews eyebrows when he fell asleep.

My sister went mental when she looked in his pram ?

steve garwood said:

I was at a party and thought it would be funny to shave off my nephews eyebrows when he fell asleep.

Talking of families, I was doing a crossword yesterday. I shouted out to the wife, “what’s a female relative, 4 letters ending in UNT”

She replied “Aunt”

I said “Pass the tipex” ?

Talking of families, I was doing a crossword yesterday. I shouted out to the wife, “what’s a female relative, 4 letters ending in UNT”

She replied “Aunt”

I said “Pass the tipex” ?
Could be your best yet ?

I've halved the value to account for my contribution. I'll having everything written down so everyone knows where they stand. My dad isn't malicious and he wouldn't have the energy to start again. He just wants to get shut of it with a decent amount on top. 

I've done the maths and I'm happy it's achievable - it is a less than ideal place to be as no one wants to be in debt like this but borrowing from family is better than a bank - a year - give or take a little - and I should have it paid off.

I can hear that my father feels drained in his voice. He's nearly 60 and just wants an easy life. I wanted bigger jobs - more work, more money, as there was 3 of us and we could handle it but they both wanted 2pm finishes most days. I'm not even sure I could handle all the work myself - I'm being optimistic thinking I can but I can always find a buyer for some parts. I know a few other window cleaners. 
Long time no hear, buddy. How's it going? Did you manage to sort things out? 

Long time no hear, buddy. How's it going? Did you manage to sort things out? 
Hello mate. Thanks for asking. I plodded along shortly after, got a loan from my father in law, viewed a few vans, got a price on a system and then failed my first driving test. I went out for a walk that evening after a row with the missus (things just getting on top of me) and we also found out her mother had pancreatic cancer. I actually walked to my local TGI Fridays and had a meal on my own to kinda cheer myself up ?

It was weird at first but I just got my head down and got on under the idea it was short term. It’s been 4 weeks now and it’s honestly been the best we’ve gotten on since I can remember. We’ve been really busy with gutters and jet washing jobs on the weekends alongside our regular work so I’m enjoying being out and earning, even if it feels like I haven’t seen my daughter and girlfriend much but that’s the sacrifice I’ll make so they can live comfortably. Without saying it we’ve talked about how we can improve and what we should do in a few months - which is as good as saying we’re gonna stay working together. Which I’m happy to do. 

Communication is much better between us.  I’m trying not to take this business too seriously anymore - which was causing animosity and he’s different towards me. Only problem is the knock on effect with my brother, mum, sister. Haven’t seen or spoke to them in a couple of months - he’s the baby of the family and is better at eliciting sympathy than I am... I do worry about the boy, he’s better off behind a desk, he dropped out of uni and would do well to find his own vocation, as opposed to taking whatever is handed to him. Glad to be back with my dad.  Like I said, I always respected him but the three of us together didn’t work. 

Cheers

I’m learning that family and work don’t mix. Think I’ve been a glutton for punishment. I’m gonna get my license, get a van, take my share of the round. It’s not what I’d like, would be nice to have a working relationship with family but I don’t think it’s possible, you know how to push each other button too well. I don’t post on here much, but it’s calmed me down hearing some sensible words. Love my dad and brother but it’s time to consider other options 
You could marry someone who can drive. ?

We have a window cleaning couple in our area. His wife drives everywhere as he doesn't drive. 

Partnerships in one form or another don't work in the majority of cases as one does the majority of the graft and the other slacks. 

From my own experience and observations you are best to go out alone.

I've often told the story of ' Little' and 'Large'. I'm grateful to their partnership war as I got a bit of work from their breakup 15 years ago.

They were trad cleaners. One was a big fellow who couldn't go up leaders and the other was skinny and did all the tops. Large did all the bottoms. Skinny felt he was doing the majority of the work as he wanted a higher percentage of the takings. 

They split the round in half and went their separate ways. Large never made it on his own.

Unfortunately you might need to suffer until you get all your proverbial ducks in a row. And don't expect to take any of the business when you do go it alone. You will have to start from scratch.

It doesn't matter how small our how big the business is, there will always be some carrying more of the load than others. 

We have a window cleaning couple in our area. His wife drives everywhere as he doesn't drive. 

Partnerships in one form or another don't work in the majority of cases as one does the majority of the graft and the other slacks. 

I've often told the story of ' Little' and 'Large'. I'm grateful to their partnership war as I got a bit of work from their breakup 15 years ago.

They were trad cleaners. One was a big fellow who couldn't go up leaders and the other was skinny and did all the tops. Large did all the bottoms. Skinny felt he was doing the majority of the work as he wanted a higher percentage of the takings. 

They split the round in half and went their separate ways. Large never made it on his own.

Unfortunately you might need to suffer until you get all your proverbial ducks in a row. And don't expect to take any of the business when you do go it alone. You will have to start from scratch.

It doesn't matter how small our how big the business is, there will always be some carrying more of the load than others. 
Usually the fat one ? there was local guy near me and he piled on the weight over the years and always had a young fitter lad working with him to go up the ladder, different one each time I saw him, needless to say after over 10 years the business has now folded.

It still surprises me how people get out and build a business up then just let it go to the dogs and go to paid employment when they could have had so much more, there have been a good few times over the years I have wanted to jack it in and have job with full holiday etc, I guess a lot of the time it was the weather and chasing money, now I've got that sorted it's fairly plain sailing day to day.

Usually the fat one ? there was local guy near me and he piled on the weight over the years and always had a young fitter lad working with him to go up the ladder, different one each time I saw him, needless to say after over 10 years the business has now folded.

It still surprises me how people get out and build a business up then just let it go to the dogs and go to paid employment when they could have had so much more, there have been a good few times over the years I have wanted to jack it in and have job with full holiday etc, I guess a lot of the time it was the weather and chasing money, now I've got that sorted it's fairly plain sailing day to day.
I think some decide on paid employment usually because they hit a succession of rucks in their business road at the same time or in close order like getting some late payers,having some customers cancel,bad weather preventing work etc....and still those bills keep coming through the door and standing orders go out of the bank account. And they look around at others who are in paid employment and think that is easier than all this hassle...........and probably or definately they are right....but that route is not as much fun or rewarding financially and or personally as working for oneself. One of the prime characteristics of being your own boss is  optimism and being the sort of fighter who when knocked down, gets up goes at it again. We all feel down sometimes in this job....but usually it is far ouweighed by the ups. 

I think some decide on paid employment usually because they hit a succession of rucks in their business road at the same time or in close order like getting some late payers,having some customers cancel,bad weather preventing work etc....and still those bills keep coming through the door and standing orders go out of the bank account. And they look around at others who are in paid employment and think that is easier than all this hassle...........and probably or definately they are right....but that route is not as much fun or rewarding financially and or personally as working for oneself. One of the prime characteristics of being your own boss is  optimism and being the sort of fighter who when knocked down, gets up goes at it again. We all feel down sometimes in this job....but usually it is far ouweighed by the ups. 
I agree to a point, but some people make their own issues, I have 2 examples, #1 two lads I grew up with had an appeared to have a good business but at times were more than happy to be in the bookies or skiving off and playing on a PS in the end one got busted of his wife had him go to paid employment #2 a lad I was mates with for a time would happily skive off or do add on jobs because his work was under priced and would often tell me he was behind by 6 weeks or so I know other lads like this were it's just to easy for them to think sod it and let all their work fall behind by 6 weeks plus at times. 

They are placing their own barriers up and creating more issues, we all struggle at times in this game whether it's business related issues and or our own demons, unless you keep on moving forward all the issues can snowball and create a bigger issues and some will muddle on through and there business will suffer and maybe their clients will put up with it for so long, but that's time limited.

Aye the above is so true. We had a few folk next to me who ran their own business. One was drunk all the time but he made his work but couldn't do much. The other was always nipping away to the bookies. Their businesses quickly came to nothing and collapsed. It all comes down to the time and effort one puts into their business as it has a direct correlation on growth and momentum. That's why when one is willing to travel to quote for one job many others can quickly follow. If one fails to even view the property then there is no chance of any others in that street. 

That’s quite rude of you @spruce calling them little and large.

Their names are @Den and @Part Timer ?

I have another test lined up for this coming Wednesday so hopefully I’ll pass that. I can then share the driving load. We pick up a lot of jobs from people who haven’t seen their window cleaner for a year. Some people will look for an excuse to just get home early and relax. I think that’s the difference between people who enjoy this business and those who don’t. I also think that having a negative lazy attitude can be infectious to your work partner and you can find your own standards slipping. I don’t have that problem with my old man. He’d clean windows if there was a hurricane. I often have to convince him that it’s not a good look for us if it’s hammering it down with torrential rain and we’re working, but we’re always on time and work hard to keep ourselves consistent

Aye the above is so true. We had a few folk next to me who ran their own business. One was drunk all the time but he made his work but couldn't do much. The other was always nipping away to the bookies. Their businesses quickly came to nothing and collapsed. It all comes down to the time and effort one puts into their business as it has a direct correlation on growth and momentum. That's why when one is willing to travel to quote for one job many others can quickly follow. If one fails to even view the property then there is no chance of any others in that street. 
 Yes there was this chap I knew who had a biggish round, spread over quite an area. he had serious drink issues over which he hung himself in the end. But I'd been told, for example, he'd gone to this retired colonels big house, cleaning away, and 2 or 3 wasters just gone for the drive with him, standing drinking their beer cans in the lovely garden. The colonel saw and was obviously not pleased.

I, like many enjoy a drink, but this fella was pickled as a rule. The thing is, if many of these competitors are remotely like this, if we hang in there, and are professional, we will win the day ⚽

I'll drink to that ?. Just a spot of pre-loading before pub of course. Nice with the final score. Tastes better today what with spurs losing 3 nil to brighton ?
And if liverpool beat leicester and west ham beat palace, hammers are 3rd (for a short while anyway) Cant ever remember us being 3rd before (apart from last week for about 1 day) mind you, our keepers out for 3 months so there not in my acca thats for sure

Being self employed isn't for everyone. It doesn't make those who can't work for themselves bad people.

Son in law didn't have the self discipline to work for himself even when he had it all given to him on a plate. My son doesn't have it either. 

Being self employed isn't for everyone. It doesn't make those who can't work for themselves bad people.

Son in law didn't have the self discipline to work for himself even when he had it all given to him on a plate. My son doesn't have it either. 
very true.Although most could turn their hands to it, many many people just aren't suited to being their own boss. It takes a lot of pushing yourself sometimes. often it can be better to be paye, especially if you get a good trade or have well paid work. I myself know its easy to stick at just getting enough to get by, when really the sky could be the limit. 

People dont always realise how many job roles you have to do when you're self employed - bookkeeper/administration/marketer/advertiser/contract administration, monitoring payments, equipment reliability/basic maintenance/monitoring insurances/customer service/customer complaints/web site builder/SEO knowledge/health & safety/planner/ bids & tendering and finally deliver the service and that does not detail every aspect. 

Working for a company you tend to just have the one function. 

With self employment you have to keep your finger on the pulse most of the time if you want to be successful..

Last edited by a moderator:
One can't be lazy working for oneself. Working in the public sector gives continuity but not much time for doing the house work. So it becomes a perfect environment for us because many women now work in public sector and need someone to clean their windows. Most of my older customers also have domestic cleaners and they are just on a pension so must be able to afford it. ? 

Latest Posts

Back