Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Family problems. Need advice

WCF

Help Support WCF:

People dont always realise how many job roles you have to do when you're self employed - bookkeeper/administration/marketer/advertiser/contract administration, monitoring payments, equipment reliability/basic maintenance/monitoring insurances/customer service/customer complaints/web site builder/SEO knowledge/health & safety/planner/ bids & tendering and finally deliver the service and that does not detail every aspect. 

Working for a company you tend to just have the one function. 

With self employment you have to keep your finger on the pulse most of the time if you want to be successful..
No wonder I am employee of the month again (Oh and I am a one man band operation)lol

Hello all. I’m after some advice, and since my problems stem from work, I thought this would be the best place to ask for it. I’ve been a window cleaner for 2 and a half years now. I love it. I’m good at it, take pride in my work and providing a good service to my customers. My dad had a little round prior, a tiny fraction of what it’s worth now. 

I’ve worked hard the last couple of years to build it so we can have a decent living. From the wrap on the van, to the cards we hand out, to the gocardless and app I set up to make life easier, to the flyers I put up in shop windows, to the uniform on our backs and the website I got made were because of me and my efforts. My Dad decided he wanted to step back and brought my younger brother in. So I got him on payroll reluctantly as HE’S NOT A GRAFTER, he’s a coaster. But he’s got a license, which I don’t have - been doing lessons for the last month as I know that it’ll all fall apart if I rely on him to get from A to B.

He told me for the second time in 5 weeks today, “I’m not going to work”. There can’t be a third time. What I’m asking is am I justified, family and all, in putting an ultimatum to my dad that it’s either my brother or me, come Monday morning. My Dads not an easy man to talk to, I’m always wrong to him, to him and my brother, I think I’m the “big boss”, which I know to be a weak insult to someone  who’s just trying to keep things in check. I’m not valued, I just get on with it. They go home and that’s the day done for them. I go home and do paperwork and advertise so we make more money. So am I justified in giving an ultimatum that he choose me or my kid brother?

Thanks 
Been there and done that in my previous career as a roofer.. there was 2 options I saw at the time.

1. Just cut the cord and go it alone.

2. As much as dad was unreasonable I showed I had a business / responsible brain by the work lined up was either dropped due to lack of man power or split the jobs between me and him...

My advice would be offer to buy your dad's work or ask him to split the round so you and bro can have income but no longer have to work together and build up your half.. 

Unfortunately as stated earlier never work with family or close friends, although I understand sometimes needs must.

I have another test lined up for this coming Wednesday so hopefully I’ll pass that. I can then share the driving load. We pick up a lot of jobs from people who haven’t seen their window cleaner for a year. Some people will look for an excuse to just get home early and relax. I think that’s the difference between people who enjoy this business and those who don’t. I also think that having a negative lazy attitude can be infectious to your work partner and you can find your own standards slipping. I don’t have that problem with my old man. He’d clean windows if there was a hurricane. I often have to convince him that it’s not a good look for us if it’s hammering it down with torrential rain and we’re working, but we’re always on time and work hard to keep ourselves consistent
good luck with your test...i passed second time when i was 17 in the 80s......im one of them window cleaners who likes to get home early and relax (but i put in a good 5 hours before heading home most days)....im currently turning over around £45k a year and im left with around £30k-£32k profit after tax,insurances and all expenses per year.i can live comfortably on this(no kids and my missus has her own business too).....i work on my own and much prefer it...

years ago i used to have family/friends working for me...none ended up working out....i sacked my brother after a few weeks as he was missing out windows deliberately thinking the customer wouldnt notice!??

Back