Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Finding staff or franchisee's........

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Damo

For the guys that employ or franchise are you finding it hard to find people to work for you?

I literally have very little interest when I advertise. I now employ and run the franchise so I have both sides of the coin covered.

We do get people interested on the franchise but usually there is one or two points they don't like. Then we get people looking for employment but don't like the fact someone doing the same job will be earning a lot more as they run a franchise! SO I can't seem to win at the moment.

Most of the companies round here are paying 20k-30k so I know I am not being a cheap skate on wages and benefits.

Indeed seems to be the best bet at the moment.

Talking to other trades, window cleaners and companies doing office cleaning, we all seem to be in the same boat.

What gives?

For the guys that employ or franchise are you finding it hard to find people to work for you?

I literally have very little interest when I advertise. I now employ and run the franchise so I have both sides of the coin covered.

We do get people interested on the franchise but usually there is one or two points they don't like. Then we get people looking for employment but don't like the fact someone doing the same job will be earning a lot more as they run a franchise! SO I can't seem to win at the moment.

Most of the companies round here are paying 20k-30k so I know I am not being a cheap skate on wages and benefits.

Talking to other trades, window cleaners and companies doing office cleaning, we all seem to be in the same boat.

What gives?
Advertise paying £25 to £30 an hour, you will get someone.

What gives?
Try the paid adverts on Indeed mate, the quality of candidate substantially improved as soon as I did this and it's not as expensive as making a sh!t hire. I would also suggest not even talking to them about the other guys being franchisee's and what they earn, if they want that they should buy in.

I’ve been through a fair few employees this year. Paying decent wage, all on books and holidays, pension etc. but only 1 has stayed on for longer than 6 months and he is about to leave in a month or so.
Sometimes it seems to much hassle to be honest specially when you’re upping wages to get decent workers

I know the guy who works for me has done new houses and kept the money etc, he doesn't know I know but I tend to let a good few things slide. He's hardly ever off his work, even works weekends etc. I could sack him for what he's done but where does that leave me ?. I could go through 20 guys before I get someone who attends like he does. I'd never admit it to him but I need him alot more than he needs me. If I sacked him tomorrow he'd have a start the following day with someone else doing windows. Whereas I'd be left not being able to get round my run.

I know the guy who works for me has done new houses and kept the money etc, he doesn't know I know but I tend to let a good few things slide. He's hardly ever off his work, even works weekends etc. I could sack him for what he's done but where does that leave me ?. I could go through 20 guys before I get someone who attends like he does. I'd never admit it to him but I need him alot more than he needs me. If I sacked him tomorrow he'd have a start the following day with someone else doing windows. Whereas I'd be left not being able to get round my run.
Have a smaller run which you can cover yourself. That's what I do but we all get greedy when new work appears.

I work on a 50/50 split
He does the work and pays his water etc I get 50%
That’s not how I market it to him I just pay him a daily rate but that’s how it works out
He earns about £120 a day
2nd one starting soon so even less for me to do lol
I’ll just concentrate on the pressure washing and fsg etc

Last edited:
I remember when I used to work with Damo as needed the extra work
Amazing the difference a couple of years can make
To be fair he helped me out in a time of need so grateful for that

I work on a 50/50 split
He does the work and pays his water etc I get 50%
That’s not how I market it to him I just pay him a daily rate but that’s how it works out
He earns about £120 a day
2nd one starting soon so even less for me to do lol
I’ll just concentrate on the pressure washing and fsg etc

If left to there own devices without supervision then shortcuts starts to happen. Could be one day he's behind and needs to make up time so misses something. Then when they realise they can get away with it then it becomes the norm. It's in us all to do that, it's human nature to try get things done quicker. The first time that short cuts taken though youl find it happens again. When I worked offshore we had ex sas, American marines, basically all the elite special forces come in and take us through a course called mind saftey. It was all about shortcuts basicly. It's in us all

Back