Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

flipping hydrophobic glass!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Cheers lads. Am gonna try upping my flow rate first
Hey Crystalalan, whatever kit and techniques you decide to try, can you please take a little time to let us know how you get on. Feedback is great for all of us to see that problems have been resolved and also to help us learn from each other. 

Thanks ?

Yep no worries Davy will do. 50 degree fans came through post today so will give em a try tomorrow. Spent longer today giving top section of window frame a good old scrub and rinse. Don`t know what the results will be as it hadn`t dried by the time I had left. The window I mean.

Thanks mate, we used to use 50 degree fan jets till we tried the 100s. I preferred the 100s straight away. Son took a bit of time and a few attempts to grow to like them but won’t anything else now. Both types are very good.

You were right to be very thorough with the top frames and glass. We say on first washes that we like to get right in there, like dentists. If the dirt, oxidation and spider nests don't want to come out, we get all the more determined. Not that spiders nests and the like are a problem for dentists, I hope, but you know what I mean. ?

I'd say be super thorough with the first two or three cleans, that should sort it. On those initial cleans I'd do as Bart suggested, on the final rinse cut in just below the top frames and bring down a curtain of water. All being well after the first few cleans you will be able to fly through them.

Best of luck. You will get there.
I had the same problems starting out six years ago and lost some customers who wouldn't give me a fair chance. I got through the early stages. You will too.

As a windy friend said to me at the time, "Don't be despondent". ??

Last edited by a moderator:
ah cheers fella. Yes will also try barts technique.Was thinking about blading them but that kinda defeats the object.
Yeah, I wouldn’t be blading. It defeats the object as you say. I'd start as I mean to go on. I wouldn't be double handling. How would you know when to stop blading and trust to the wfp? Nice and thorough Initially and it will come right. ?

Hi lads given the 50 degree fans a try. I`m undecided. Want to try out the 100`s next. Have ordered a gardiner supreme brush with du pont bristles to rinse on as I really like the idea and should be less fatiguing in the long run. Loving Barts and Davy Gs technique of cutting in just below the top of the frame and rinsing with the brush on. Been doing that a few times today with the hydrophobic glass then checking the windows afterwards before moving on to my next job

Hi lads given the 50 degree fans a try. I`m undecided. Want to try out the 100`s next. Have ordered a gardiner supreme brush with du pont bristles to rinse on as I really like the idea and should be less fatiguing in the long run. Loving Barts and Davy Gs technique of cutting in just below the top of the frame and rinsing with the brush on. Been doing that a few times today with the hydrophobic glass then checking the windows afterwards before moving on to my next job
Hey! Thanks for the feedback. You said you would and you did. That's such a great help to me and others. As long as you wash the windows properly (but no need to kill them with scrubbing after the first couple of washes) and bring down a curtain of water, I reckon it'll all come together for you rapidly. With the 100s, keep the brush close or touching. ?

Alright lads! Another update from yours truly. Started useing my new supreme dupont bristle brush today with 100 degree fans. Got to say brush was amazing very swift and with great cleaning results and have been rinsing on with good effect. Loving the fan jets to. Just a couple of questions. I`m working with a flow rate of 25. Do you reckon that`s a bit too low? and can I clean the window in one go? ie should I wait for the top of the frame to stop dripping before I clean the glass? Because I have been cleaning some off the windows in one go.

Swiping the top of the glass a couple of times to build up a body of water and bringing it across and down the glass to rinse is a awesome technique and I have been noticing a lot less spotting

A flow rate of 25? Wow I think that's really low but just a personal opinion. When I first started my flow rate was at 40. In two years I've been WFP I'm now at 80! Get that flow rate rate turned up and come back and let us know how you get on. IMO 25 is not enough flow to give the glass a good rinse especially hydrophobic!

I have found almost without exception, on new or old windows, that any protruding seals will bleed spots in vertical lines.  It will happen on hydrophobic and hydrophillic but more problematic on the former.  If seals are recessed behind the frame or enough to be tucked away then you won't get issues.  
Agree - i am likely not as quick as some of the responses i have read byu other guys itt bc i rinse off using 2mm jets, a high flow rate and just use a the volume of water to create a powerful curtain downwards to remove dirt, i then do a bit of prepping on next frame before glancing back at various angles to check my work, if i find specs i give it another rinsing. If the lines from bad seals are there i just cut in and re rinse the whole window. Takes a bit longer but results are great so far. interested to try and other less time consuming (faffy ? ) methods aswell though and save a few secs

Alright lads! Another update from yours truly. Started useing my new supreme dupont bristle brush today with 100 degree fans. Got to say brush was amazing very swift and with great cleaning results and have been rinsing on with good effect. Loving the fan jets to. Just a couple of questions. I`m working with a flow rate of 25. Do you reckon that`s a bit too low? and can I clean the window in one go? ie should I wait for the top of the frame to stop dripping before I clean the glass? Because I have been cleaning some off the windows in one go.

Swiping the top of the glass a couple of times to build up a body of water and bringing it across and down the glass to rinse is a awesome technique and I have been noticing a lot less spotting
Hey! Big thanks for the latest update. I have no personal experience with the Dupont brush as my favourite brush is the Extreme Sill Brush. I use a Streamline  controller, calibrated to about 50 - 55, flow setting 52 with the 100 degree fan jets . We've found from experience that a good high flow (brush against the glass) fills all the bristles with a nice pressure and helps push the dirt out and down without pushing too much water and dirt up which could leave some of the dirt behind. If we can hear the jets fizzing like a firework sparkler that's the way we want them. We can hear each other working from opposite sides of the houses. As they produce a fine but dense spray they are fairly frugal with water. There is no need to create a massive deluge of water flooding the place. The thing is for the water pressure to be focused and forcing its way out of the brush.

Paired with a swivel the Extreme Sill Brush and 100 degree fan jets have definitely increased my speed. There are two keys to successfully using the swivel :

1/ The adjuster screw needs to be set so that when the pole is held horizontally with the brush on end not touching anything the brush will not flop without a small shake of the pole. Too loose and it just hangs, too tight and it needs too much pressure against the window to swivel the brush.

2/ A loose, relaxed grip on the pole, freely twisting the pole to change the angle, especially if working from the side.

As a training/familiarity exercise, I practiced on a downstairs window from the front and from the side for a few minutes till it made sense.

You can clean the whole window without waiting for the top frame to stop dripping... Provided you have got it totally clean.

Embrace the fizz, my friend. Embrace the fizz! ?

Just can't imagine rinsing on glass gets rid of dirt better than a good curtain of water flowing down the glass - would appreciate anyone who could show a vid of cleaning a well soiled pane of glass using the fan jet approach

45cm 4 x 1.4mm jets flocked does us for maintenance cleans. Glides over the glass like a Rolls Royce. Far better than the scratchy Xtremes ?
That is the way I have been doing it today. Reverted to my old 35cm universal soft flocked brush with 4 x 1.4 pencils. Whacked up the flo rate to 40. Wow what a difference. Did a coffee shop with huge hydrophobic windows. already have a swivel fitted thanks Davy. Windows looked brill! Didn`t rinse on glass as it`s not a rinse on brush but might try rinsing on next week. I think by and large most people prefer to rinse on.

At this stage it`s about trying out different combinations and seeing what works for me.

That is the way I have been doing it today. Reverted to my old 35cm universal soft flocked brush with 4 x 1.4 pencils. Whacked up the flo rate to 40.
That was your initial problem, your flow rate of 25 wasn't high enough. People initially think to save water it's best to have a low flow rate when actually that costs you time and water. Glad you're sorted now 

That was your initial problem, your flow rate of 25 wasn't high enough. People initially think to save water it's best to have a low flow rate when actually that costs you time and water. Glad you're sorted now 
Cheers dude. You are completely right. I was told by the mechanic when my system was fitted to keep the flo rate at 17 unbelievably and a window cleaning colleague of mine said it was best to always keep it at 25. Thank goodness for this forum. I did have to adjust the calibration setting though. Its now at 73.

Hey just been upgraded to an advanced member. Whoop! Whoop!

Just can't imagine rinsing on glass gets rid of dirt better than a good curtain of water flowing down the glass - would appreciate anyone who could show a vid of cleaning a well soiled pane of glass using the fan jet approach
I'm a bit bemused by this one...

I don't understand why you think you can't get a good curtain of water flowing down the glass when rinsing on? Where else is the water going to go? Always a good full width descending curtain of water.

I rinse on the glass. I bring the brush down the glass, bristles lightly touching in, fast full width, descending sweeps. This gives a final, light agitation on the way down. It keeps the water where it needs to be, running down the glass taking the dirt with it.

If it's well soiled give it a thorough wash, what else would we do regardless of equipment used?

So simple, I really don't understand what the confusion is.

I suggest : don't just imagine it, try it, properly... but not with a flocked brush.

Avoid cleaning the top frame and use the brush to "cut in" just below the top seal. I have found almost without exception, on new or old windows, that any protruding seals will bleed spots in vertical lines.  It will happen on hydrophobic and hydrophillic but more problematic on the former.  If seals are recessed behind the frame or enough to be tucked away then you won't get issues.  

If they are compartment type windows (one above, one below) then you have two options.  Option 1 is to cut in and wait for the drips to stop dripping on the lower compartment then cut in again (doable on a hot day as it doesn't take too long).  Option 2 which is my go to is to wrap a microfibre around a super scraper and hold it on with a cheap clamp from poundland.  Then i can physically dry any top seals that bleed out before cleaning the glass below. A pain and takes a bit more time but gets a decent result for the customer.
Miss the top frame???? do you wear your spurs to work?.

I'm a bit bemused by this one...

I don't understand why you think you can't get a good curtain of water flowing down the glass when rinsing on? Where else is the water going to go? Always a good full width descending curtain of water.

I rinse on the glass. I bring the brush down the glass, bristles lightly touching in, fast full width, descending sweeps. This gives a final, light agitation on the way down. It keeps the water where it needs to be, running down the glass taking the dirt with it.

If it's well soiled give it a thorough wash, what else would we do regardless of equipment used?

So simple, I really don't understand what the confusion is.

I suggest : don't just imagine it, try it, properly... but not with a flocked brush.
I agree with the theory but just from what i tried in practice i din't have good results - just guess i'm not well versed in using the new fan jets - i got 2 x 50 deg fan jets on a gardiner ultimate brush and they seemed pretty bad for rinsing compared to the 2mm pencil jets. That was before the new jet capsules were introduced - will have to give them a try for sure. 

I agree with the theory but just from what i tried in practice i din't have good results - just guess i'm not well versed in using the new fan jets - i got 2 x 50 deg fan jets on a gardiner ultimate brush and they seemed pretty bad for rinsing compared to the 2mm pencil jets. That was before the new jet capsules were introduced - will have to give them a try for sure. 
Must admit we tried the 50 deg fans and binned them pronto. We now use the 1.4mm pencils and like them

Back