Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

flipping hydrophobic glass!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Hi mate. I’m also newish to wfp and having a few issues with spots on a few houses I’ve got. How do you know which windows are hydrophobic glass? What kind of houses usually have hydrophobic glass? That may be the problem I’m having.. ? 

Have you resolved the issue with the advise you’ve been given? If you find out what does the trick please let me know. ?
Ahh you poor sod! Only joking. Just what part timer has stated.

You always tell a hydrophobic window from a hydrophillic one by spraying your brush at it. On a hydrophobic pane the water will run in beads where as a hydrophillic the water will fall in  sheets of the glass. The key is to set your flo rate nice and high. Mine is at 40 others like it even higher 60 plus and also make sure the frame particulary the top bit is really well scrubbed and rinsed. It might take two or three cleans on a house before the spotting is no longer a problem but once its been done a few times then you can just give it a couple of swipes with the brush. If rinsing off the glass then hold the brush facing downwards if you can and rinse really thoroughly. On the hydrophillic panes you don`t need to rinse as much.

There is an absolute wealth of knowledge on this post you should read. Some folk have different ways of doing things then others. Its just a case of what suits you. Try experimenting with different jets and types of brushes. I know it is expensive when you are starting up but you will reap the benefits in the future.

Good luck Mate!

Alright Boyos! Now I`m a lot quieter I have been practising with the 100 degree fan jets fitted to my dupont bristled 23 cm supreme brush with swivel at a flow rate of 60. Its definately quicker then when I was using 1.4 pencil jets. I have a hell of a lot of customers with hydrophobic glass so have chosen not to rinse on but on the hydrophillic glass i have been rinsing on.

I have been treating the window as a whole so leaving brush on glass and frame the whole time. What if its a window with several panes? for example it has a pane at the top and another pane below. Do I still treat it as one whole window? or would I be better cleaning the top pane then letting it dry a little before i do the second pain?

You haven't got time to allow anything to dry, in the winter that can be hours. Don't know how big the panes are but for me I would wash and rinse each row and run the brush along the middle frame to use as lubrication for the windows below.. As long as you've rinsed the top panes sufficiently then you don't need to worry about spotting from the window above

Cool thats what I have been doing. Those panes with the protruding seal are a bit of a bugger though eh! Especially when you get one which bleeds. Still as long as the seal and whats above it is clean I can`t really see much of a problem.

I hate doing hydrophobic glass luckily we don’t have much of it but the cleaning method we use is exactly the same as any other glass , we never get a problem with the finish ,it just looks horrible until it’s dry .
Jeez, doesn't it? Worried the life out of me when I was starting out, leaving water drops and rivulets behind. Hardly give a thought to what type of glass these days, though I do prefer to see the nice sheeting on a good hydrophilic of course. But even hydrophilic can vary in quality, some sheeting easier than others. Like you say, though,  if your method is sound it should be no big deal.

Ahh lads its a pain in the neck. I`ve been doing WFP since november now and I still don`t feel I`m there yet. I`m preparred to lose a few custys whilst I`m getting up to scratch. Thank god my custys are so understanding. Got to say I`m loving the 100 degree fan jets. Like you say embrace the fizz!

Hah hah! well remembered. ??

Practice and perfect the method, keep doing it and lock it into the muscle and mind memory. It will click like a switch and you won't even realise until you realise... I know what I mean. ☺️

Last edited by a moderator:
I clean the whole unit as one window and rinse on all the time. 

No need to worry about anything if the frame etc between panes is clean.

Glass is glass no matter what type.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright Boyos! Now I`m a lot quieter I have been practising with the 100 degree fan jets fitted to my dupont bristled 23 cm supreme brush with swivel at a flow rate of 60. Its definately quicker then when I was using 1.4 pencil jets. I have a hell of a lot of customers with hydrophobic glass so have chosen not to rinse on but on the hydrophillic glass i have been rinsing on.

I have been treating the window as a whole so leaving brush on glass and frame the whole time. What if its a window with several panes? for example it has a pane at the top and another pane below. Do I still treat it as one whole window? or would I be better cleaning the top pane then letting it dry a little before i do the second pain?
Here's one for you mate!

This little tip has saved me a million spots I'm sure.

Next time you clean a window and frame together, you'll see water droplets left on the top frame when your done, flick the excess water off your brush then push the top row of bristles onto the top frame firmly and pull down slowly, then watch as capillary action takes place and all the water droplets run down your bristles and into the brush.

It leaves most frames 90% dry, it's not a cure all thing but its a huge help. It works on hydrophobic glass too, if I have the problems you've described then I will slowly pull my brush down across the top frame and the top5-10% of the pane too, so when I do rinse I can stay well away from them black seals and the windows come up perfect.

Now the suns out you wanna be careful, great bonus though the front windows are usually dry by the time you've done the back so any issues are visible before you leave.

Here's one for you mate!

Next time you clean a window and frame together, you'll see water droplets left on the top frame when your done, flick the excess water off your brush then push the top row of bristles onto the top frame firmly and pull down slowly, then watch as capillary action takes place and all the water droplets run down your bristles and into the brush.

It leaves most frames 90% dry, it's not a cure all thing but its a huge help. It works on hydrophobic glass too, if I have the problems you've described then I will slowly pull my brush down across the top frame and the top5-10% of the pane too, so when I do rinse I can stay well away from them black seals and the windows come up perfect.

Now the suns out you wanna be careful, great bonus though the front windows are usually dry by the time you've done the back so any issues are visible before you leave.
Oh dear been doing that for  15 years , thought it was common practice ??

Here's one for you mate!

Love it. This is truly intelligent.

Sorry after I posted that I re read what I put and it looked a bit condescending I didn’t mean it to be , I have always done what you said especially on first cleans .
I didn't detect any offence being directed towards me there mate, every days a school day as far as I'm concerned and I like to pass stuff on when I get the chance as....well I suppose it just makes us feel good.

I didn't detect any offence being directed towards me there mate, every days a school day as far as I'm concerned and I like to pass stuff on when I get the chance as....well I suppose it just makes us feel good.
I agree, why be like Scrooge and keep all your learnings to yourself. Only makes you miserable and contracted. Sharing makes you feel expansive.

Back