Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Gardiners charging for delivery even though spend is nearly £100

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I see from the Gardiners website they are saying 5 day delivery why is this it's quicker using Royal Mail second class?
They have a shortage of staff as they can't work from home. Covid restrictions have placed a huge burden on many suppliers and manufacturers.  I think @doug atkinsonhas explained what's going on. My wife tells the exact same story. They order a lot from China. She says that the cost of a container load has gone up from £1500 to £5000 in the last year. Packaging has also gone up drastically in price. She is also complaining how quickly the cost of her weekly grocery shop is going up.

We are also going to have to increase our prices - period. The cost of diesel is also going up a penny a litre every couple of days. There will be some customers who refuse to accept a price increase. They will try to find someone cheaper but eventually 'water will find its own level.'

We have been spoilt living in a country with very low inflation. In South Africa we often had to have a 33.3% price increase on spare parts because of rampant inflation. The same could happen again here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know I’ve been in the minority from the start in forecasting that window cleaning is going to become oversaturated all over the U.K. with the eventual consequence that prices will go down. 

That’s never been me speaking from a scarcity mindset, only thinking it through to a logical one and seeing things change since I’ve started window cleaning which I believe confirms that to me. However, now, when the biggest seller of WFP in the U.K. is saying that they want less customers and less orders due to the demand,  is anyone else starting to think the same? 
The price of window cleaning has been squeezed after the past few years due to competition and customer perception. But the likes of the gas and electric suppliers, BT and Virgin with broadband, etc have just done what they want as we are forced to pay their higher prices.

We are experiencing a shortage of tradesmen locally. The ones that are available are just taking the Mick with their pricing atm. One of our customers is a joiner and he has a full order book until the middle of next year. We aren't in the same boat being able to charge what we want. Who knows but there could come a time when customers have to chose between needs and luxuries. Maybe window cleaning might not be a priority.

The price of window cleaning has been squeezed after the past few years due to competition and customer perception. But the likes of the gas and electric suppliers, BT and Virgin with broadband, etc have just done what they want as we are forced to pay their higher prices.

We are experiencing a shortage of tradesmen locally. The ones that are available are just taking the Mick with their pricing atm. One of our customers is a joiner and he has a full order book until the middle of next year. We aren't in the same boat being able to charge what we want. Who knows but there could come a time when customers have to chose between needs and luxuries. Maybe window cleaning might not be a priority.
There’s no doubt window cleaning is a luxury. If the **** hits the fan, we are the first to go and could all suffer some real hardship. I reckon I had around 10 customers that lost their job during the last year and quite rationally some of them stopped the cleans. 

It’s interesting to hear you’re already noticing a difference in prices. I’ve not spoken to anyone who’s said that yet. As you say, window cleaners are becoming ubiquitous and I think it’s inevitable it’s going to lead to lower prices. 

I’m sure I said this before but the trades are to be cyclical. You get to the age where you want a trade and are told there’s a shortage in plumbers, over the next few years you have an influx of newly trained plumbers that’s come at the expense of brickies . So then everyone trains to be a bricky at the cost of sparkies etc. 

With window cleaning, there’s no buy-in in terms of qualifications and the investment time. People can just jump in and do it. It’s almost surprising it hasn’t happened sooner. 

I agree that's a huge percentage increase, no idea in £££ though. Is your site performing as you expect or could it rank better? Have you looked to move the site to an alternative host? Vote with your feet.
 The Website doesn't get me work but I have an ad in a book that gets delivered through doors they stipulate you must have a website, also I have links to pricing on it and a link to Go Cardless I don't really want to move it and start again I'm just hoping the high price increases don't become an annual event.

There’s no doubt window cleaning is a luxury. If the **** hits the fan, we are the first to go and could all suffer some real hardship. I reckon I had around 10 customers that lost their job during the last year and quite rationally some of them stopped the cleans. 

It’s interesting to hear you’re already noticing a difference in prices. I’ve not spoken to anyone who’s said that yet. As you say, window cleaners are becoming ubiquitous and I think it’s inevitable it’s going to lead to lower prices. 

I’m sure I said this before but the trades are to be cyclical. You get to the age where you want a trade and are told there’s a shortage in plumbers, over the next few years you have an influx of newly trained plumbers that’s come at the expense of brickies . So then everyone trains to be a bricky at the cost of sparkies etc. 

With window cleaning, there’s no buy-in in terms of qualifications and the investment time. People can just jump in and do it. It’s almost surprising it hasn’t happened sooner. 
Lol you really are a prophet of doom ????? there is still a national shortage of window cleaners that’s why we regularly travel 300 miles to do work in London , we have lost less than 5 customers out of over 4,000 in fact over the lockdown period we have turned away well over 350 potential jobs as we have been so busy , and over the same period have done well over 1,000 add on jobs and taken on approx 400 new regular window cleaning customers so everything in the garden is rosy at the moment we are the busiest we have been in over 22 years m will it stay like this , for  the foreseeable future yes it will houses are being built at an alarming rate all over the country and we cannot keep up with the demand , if I wanted to expand and I don’t i could easily put another van on the road every 4-6 months without even trying . I dont mean to be critical of what you are saying but everyone I know is in the same boat that we are in , Ime now dumping low priced jobs  in favour of much higher priced ones and the ones Ime dumping pay minimum £40 per hour . 

Lol you really are a prophet of doom ????? there is still a national shortage of window cleaners that’s why we regularly travel 300 miles to do work in London , we have lost less than 5 customers out of over 4,000 in fact over the lockdown period we have turned away well over 350 potential jobs as we have been so busy , and over the same period have done well over 1,000 add on jobs and taken on approx 400 new regular window cleaning customers so everything in the garden is rosy at the moment we are the busiest we have been in over 22 years m will it stay like this , for  the foreseeable future yes it will houses are being built at an alarming rate all over the country and we cannot keep up with the demand , if I wanted to expand and I don’t i could easily put another van on the road every 4-6 months without even trying . I dont mean to be critical of what you are saying but everyone I know is in the same boat that we are in , Ime now dumping low priced jobs  in favour of much higher priced ones and the ones Ime dumping pay minimum £40 per hour . 
I know I sound like that, I deliberately try not to as well haha. But I’d bet money on it happening, if I had the money to bet. I was in a cul de sac with a max of 20 semi detached houses on it last week, and 3 window cleaners. I wanted to take a picture of the 3 vans but the guys in the last van drove up the road and back out when they saw myself and the other guy.

Now obviously that could happen anywhere, I run in to other cleaners daily and I know that my area is saturated with window cleaners. I bet it happens more regularly though. Time will tell on this one. 

I know I sound like that, I deliberately try not to as well haha. But I’d bet money on it happening, if I had the money to bet. I was in a cul de sac with a max of 20 semi detached houses on it last week, and 3 window cleaners. I wanted to take a picture of the 3 vans but the guys in the last van drove up the road and back out when they saw myself and the other guy.

Now obviously that could happen anywhere, I run in to other cleaners daily and I know that my area is saturated with window cleaners. I bet it happens more regularly though. Time will tell on this one. 
When I started there was only one other cleaner , now I regularly see at least 20 others on a regular basis in the areas I work in in fact most of us get on well and have a bit of banter and have verbally agreed a minimum price between ourselves for  certain jobs and it’s paying off I priced a job the other week at £40 haven’t Hurd anything so doubt we will get the job and that’s fine , I know 3 other cleaners have also been asked to quote the same job and all have gone in at £40 , wether any of us will get it remains to be seen but the windows are still filthy ??? doing what we are doing benefits all of us I expect someone will pop up and do it for some ridiculous low price but they won’t be running a profitable business and will soon give up stating they cannot earn enough money seen it so many times before . When pricing up work if I can I try to find out what they were paying before I never go in cheaper always a fair bit higher as well stating this is why joe bloggs has stopped coming as he’s way to cheap , we regularly pick up work at 3-4 times the previous price , people are starting to realise cheap isn’t reliable . We are getting loads move down hear at the moment from London and they are happy to pay London prices round hear I had one guy phone me up and say he wanted his windows cleaned and felt £80 was a fair price would I do it for  that , went and had a look I would have quoted maximum of £60 only took me 20 muinits , so he’s happy to pay  £80 and Ime happy to take his money , this is becoming ever more the situation down hear , Ime looking at getting rid of all our estate 3-4 bedders and they are priced very well in favour of this type of customer they are appearing in there hundreds , the estate agents are selling all the houses they can get hold of to cash Byers that haven’t evan seen the house , mainly from the London areas and all properties are selling for huge amounts of money above the asking prices , I don’t agree with this as for locals it’s now virtually impossible to get on the property ladder but this is how it’s going , my own house has gone up in value according to 4 local estate agents by well over 100k in less than two years , if I sell I won’t make any money as I will have to pay inflated prices to get something else but this is how things are going in our area . There is a housing development just up the road from me they are building some 2 bed bungalows, priced at 265 k last November now the prices are 325-375 and they cannot build them fast enough people are buying stuff that won’t be built for at least 2 year they are told they can put down a deposit but the final price is unknown , if they back out months down the line the builders re sell the plot and hike the prices up Evan more !!!!!!!

When I started in the Early nineties, there was plenty of talk of there being too many window cleaners, which would drive down prices. 
If anything, with the advent of wfp prices are much better now. 
As has been mentioned there’s 1000s of houses being built near me.

Without new ones , there’d be a shortage of window cleaners. 
No sleepless nights here??

There are some things in our trade that work in our favour as businesses, at the moment.

There are an astronomical number of houses being built.

Every penny has to be physically worked for, physically earned. Unlike office or shop work, though these have their own challenges that would not suit me. Not everyone is willing to do manual work day in, day out. Not everyone is physically or mentally able to do it.

Not everyone is willing to work relentlessly in most weather conditions.

Not everyone has the business wisdom and imagination to maximise profit while minimising effort, time and expenses.

Not everyone has the ability to steadfastly hold their own when dealing with "entitled" customers or their neighbours.

Not everyone has the wherewithal, time and energy to run the paperwork, round organising and accounting. I include myself in these. My wife handles that side of the business.

Not everyone is happy and motivated enough to work alone, day in day out. I include myself in this too. I work in partnership with my son.

Not everyone has the grit, determination and sheer tenacity to make it work. Not just to survive but very importantly to most of us on this forum... To give it our very best effort to thrive! Thankfully, for this side of it I have the advantage of being one stubborn cuss!!

Not everyone is willing to do a job that to many is regarded as demeaning. Many of that mindset would rather drive a delivery van a lorry or a minicab, become a driving instructor or learn a trade like plumbing or electrical work. Not as physical and perhaps viewed as more acceptable to: family, friends, former colleagues, neighbours and fellow golf club members.

I'm happy and proud to be willing and able earn a decent crust by the work of my own body. I think the points I outlined work in our favour as a trade. Though of course that could change in a heartbeat, especially when we analyse some of the threats we face around us nationally and globally.

Onwards and upwards, all being well. ?

window cleaners have been saying things like this for years......its never affected me....i keep earning more money year on year for a very long time now......i cant see it changing anytime soon either......thank god!

There are some things in our trade that work in our favour as businesses, at the moment.

There are an astronomical number of houses being built.

Every penny has to be physically worked for, physically earned. Unlike office or shop work, though these have their own challenges that would not suit me. Not everyone is willing to do manual work day in, day out. Not everyone is physically or mentally able to do it.

Not everyone is willing to work relentlessly in most weather conditions.

Not everyone has the business wisdom and imagination to maximise profit while minimising effort, time and expenses.

Not everyone has the ability to steadfastly hold their own when dealing with "entitled" customers or their neighbours.

Not everyone has the wherewithal, time and energy to run the paperwork, round organising and accounting. I include myself in these. My wife handles that side of the business.

Not everyone is happy and motivated enough to work alone, day in day out. I include myself in this too. I work in partnership with my son.

Not everyone has the grit, determination and sheer tenacity to make it work. Not just to survive but very importantly to most of us on this forum... To give it our very best effort to thrive! Thankfully, for this side of it I have the advantage of being one stubborn cuss!!

Not everyone is willing to do a job that to many is regarded as demeaning. Many of that mindset would rather drive a delivery van a lorry or a minicab, become a driving instructor or learn a trade like plumbing or electrical work. Not as physical and perhaps viewed as more acceptable to: family, friends, former colleagues, neighbours and fellow golf club members.

I'm happy and proud to be willing and able earn a decent crust by the work of my own body. I think the points I outlined work in our favour as a trade. Though of course that could change in a heartbeat, especially when we analyse some of the threats we face around us nationally and globally.

Onwards and upwards, all being well. ?
post of the week!i couldnt agree more mate!

We're all just trying to make a good living

Be aware of rivals . We once had a local lad who copied hubbys ads word for word and that drove hub to field onto him endless calls from wasters till he shut his trap  . Im not sure if he is still in the biz not been seen lately 
We're all just trying to make a good living. Anyone without the energy, gumption and imagination to compose an ad with some degree of originality is unlikely to be a long term threat. That's probably why he's not being seen lately.

Be aware of rivals . We once had a local lad who copied hubbys ads word for word and that drove hub to field onto him endless calls from wasters till he shut his trap  . Im not sure if he is still in the biz not been seen lately 
its ok karen......i got rid of the body......(dissolved it in acid)....job done!?...and payment has cleared in my account!

I see from the Gardiners website they are saying 5 day delivery why is this it's quicker using Royal Mail second class?
I ordered 2 brushes last week late in the day on Tuesday 1.6.21 from Gardiners. 
Fedex said estimated delivery Thursday 3rd - They arrived Friday 4th…

Not too bad I thought - and a free purple pen ?

The market is very volatile at the present moment. Each week we are getting notified of prices increases. For example hoses have gone up by at least 20% in the last two months due to surging raw material costs.

One thing I have noticed is packaging that has gone up by around 40% and it is not only effecting our industry.

My wife was going to purchase some wooden flooring couple of months ago which was around £18 sq/m. Today’s price £90 sq/m.

A container which cost £500 this time last year now costs £5000. Felixstowe is a huge mess with delays of months.

For companies to keep at low profit margins they will be out of business soon and that effects all businesses.

To put it bluntly its a mess out there and will get worse. Giving you an honest insight into what is going on.
Just proves what a mistake relying on Chinese imports was, with the Pandemic and the **** up decision to leave Europe we have missed an opportunity to manufactur here creating jobs and not needing to import suppliers greed is going to cost them.

suppliers greed is going to cost them.
It's probably going to cost us not them in the end!

I don't quite see how successive governments couldn't see a long term problem when UK manufacturing was 'moved' to China. As soon as China became the worlds shop we were in trouble. Problem now is how to get manufacturing back to UK without it them being bought by China!!!!

If you have ever tried to get things manufactured in the UK you realise why people look to China. 

We need a massive Buy British campaign. 

Just proves what a mistake relying on Chinese imports was, with the Pandemic and the **** up decision to leave Europe we have missed an opportunity to manufactur here creating jobs and not needing to import suppliers greed is going to cost them.
In a way true but the English culture is cheaper goods rather than quality. If that way changed and people thought quality and bought British then we would be a striving economy. 

Take the Germans and Swiss who only like quality that is why their economy is strong.

Ebay and Amazon destroy local local businesses with fake and money laundering sellers.

China now are destroying National parks in Africa with their mining. China basically owns Africa and they now have the power on raw materials. People when they see a picture of a hunter in Africa they are up in arms but they know nothing about Africa and why that is allowed. China is destroying the environment which is more detrimental to animal environment but no one bats an eyelid.

It’s only going to get worse.

It's probably going to cost us not them in the end!

I don't quite see how successive governments couldn't see a long term problem when UK manufacturing was 'moved' to China. As soon as China became the worlds shop we were in trouble. Problem now is how to get manufacturing back to UK without it them being bought by China!!!!

If you have ever tried to get things manufactured in the UK you realise why people look to China. 

We need a massive Buy British campaign. 
America stood up many years ago for the made in the USA campaign. Our country couldn't stand to diarrhoea let alone bringing back manufacturing on our home shores

The jobs it would create would be could for us all

Maby start trading bottom windows that will save were and tare on wfp equipment save money all round then, or suck up extra cost and keep going . If you trad bottom windows you could save 50% on your wfp expensive !

In a way true but the English culture is cheaper goods rather than quality. If that way changed and people thought quality and bought British then we would be a striving economy. 

Take the Germans and Swiss who only like quality that is why their economy is strong.

Ebay and Amazon destroy local local businesses with fake and money laundering sellers.

China now are destroying National parks in Africa with their mining. China basically owns Africa and they now have the power on raw materials. People when they see a picture of a hunter in Africa they are up in arms but they know nothing about Africa and why that is allowed. China is destroying the environment which is more detrimental to animal environment but no one bats an eyelid.

It’s only going to get worse.
1 agree. The English, and I have to say from experience the Irish culture (I have an Irish bloodline though I was born and reared in North London) is by and large for the short term gain, ie cheap prices.  Not for quality or national loyalty. Our manufacturing quality overall in either countries has never been anything special enough to justify loyalty. There are, or were exceptions, mainly in the very high end market : Rolls Royce, Bentley, Britool, Lister and others. But our normal every day standard has mostly been pretty mediocre so didn't really justify loyalty. Perhaps if our product quality was of the standard that Germany, Sweden, Japan and Switzerland for instance are renowned for we'd have more reason to be loyal.

I try to be loyal to British Isles manufacturing but I find it damn near impossible, for two reasons. The quality is rarely available, at any price and most goods are now produced in China at a much lower cost to the manufacturers than can be produced like for like in the UK or Ireland so UK suppliers buy in, put their own labels on and sell as UK branded. Some Chinese goods are now made to a high standard that would at present be hard to compete with even if we did finally wake up to the dire straights we're blundering further into.

Two examples :  I occasionally renew kayaking equipment that is worn. My main two suppliers are Palm UK and Peak UK. Top notch quality from both of them but I know for sure that Palm equipment is made in China.
Peak is labelled as made in the UK but I have my doubts.

I recently bought a phone holder for the van. I spent hours researching for what I thought was a good product that was not made in China. I settled on one that was advertised as Swiss made. It arrived ,with small writing ; made in China. I used to try to be loyal to British car makers. I had Commer and Morris vans. Vauxhall, Hillman and Leyland cars. Would they start? Would they get you there and back?
How long till you could look through the growing rust holes in the floor or sills to the road underneath? It used to be said that if you wanted to keep a Jag on the road you needed two. My son has a 4 litre S Type. If it goes two or three months without a visit to the garage it's a miracle. Seems things haven't changed much. I had a Land Rover County. That was similar, loads of character but never long between something needed fixing.

I got rid of Landy and bought a Hilux pick up (Japanese of course). What a revelation, very rarely went near a garage except for fuel. Wife and I now only drive German: BMW M Sport in her case. Merc Vito x 2 in my case. All three vehicles are well over ten years old. Again rarely visit a garage except for fuel.  It gauls me to buy from countries that were and in the case of Germany still are our enemies. I would love to buy British but loyalty has to be a two way street. Supply us with decent quality British made goods at a fair price.

However, too late now. Our manufacturing is a shadow and other countries have reaped the benefits.

A last word from me on the subject of Brexit as it has been mentioned as being a bad idea. We should never have let Europe take charge of our independence and destiny. We have one national government that is accountable to us, good bad or indifferent. They can be voted in. They can be voted out and they have a duty of national loyalty to us. They are accountable to being audited for where our tax is spent, squandered, fiddled or wasted. One government is enough to finance and our government is answerable to us. One government should be enough to run any country.

The EU has several government type bodies : The European Parliament, The European Council, The European Commission, The European Court of Justice, that I know of. None of these has a national loyalty to us. None of these, as far as I know is accountable to financial scrutiny or auditing. Can you imagine!?

They are all financed by the tax paying public who has no say in the matter. None of these, as far as I'm able to ascertain is elected by the normal democratic process. None of these to my knowledge can be removed and replaced on the say of the general public.

Europe has never been our friends except for when our young people's blood was being spilt to rescue them in times of war. "Divorce!" We've been at war with one or other of the buggers for most of our history. Their behaviour and vindictiveness towards the country that saved them from anhialation in two world wars has been clearly shown in the wake of the Brexit vote and has only reinforced my views.

Back