Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Gardiners swivel

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Anyone who likes the swivel needs to go into isolation for 7 days and think about their life. 
Thanks for that. I had no idea where I was going wrong with running my life... But I do now.

Thanks again for putting me right.

Maybe if you look hard enough someone will sell you a mop and bucket to help you get started on the learning process.

When you get really proficient with the basic technique you can ask an adult to put some water in the bucket for you. ?

Last edited by a moderator:
no good when have bird mess on window  and you want to use  edge of brush gave it a week 
Can't say I've ever found this to be an issue. Just turned the brush over, swivelled it to it's extreme, (brush parallel to the pole) and scraped away with the end of the brush stock. Not recommended of course if you are in the habit of resting your brush stock against brickwork. 

I have just put the swivel on my main pole and will give it a good go from now on unless it really annoys me just to see if it makes much difference to every day Cleaning after 18 + years of wfp there isn’t many windows I cannot clean with a fixed angle adapter but as so many recon they are good I feel I must be missing a trick  so will try it all day tomorrow, one question how tight do you have it ? I have tried it in my house just now and adjusted it loose all the way to tight and unsure what’s best ,any tips would be appreciated.

I have just put the swivel on my main pole and will give it a good go from now on unless it really annoys me just to see if it makes much difference to every day Cleaning after 18 + years of wfp there isn’t many windows I cannot clean with a fixed angle adapter but as so many recon they are good I feel I must be missing a trick  so will try it all day tomorrow, one question how tight do you have it ? I have tried it in my house just now and adjusted it loose all the way to tight and unsure what’s best ,any tips would be appreciated.
We find they're good as supplied but as you've been playing around with it I don't know. You can't just reset it to factory settings like your phone ? With ours we find that it's best that you have to actually move it, you wouldn't want it to have a mind of it's own, so I suppose it's towards the stiffer setting

If it's any help to you, I put a post on this discussion 22 hours ago. Third small paragraph details how I set mine up.

Not too stiff or too floppy ?

have a little screw driver in your pocket and you will find your preference, for example my son likes his swivel a little more lose than me. 

I prefer it relatively loose - so it looks like it's a personal preference thing - defo stick at it you'll find your arms move more 'gracefully' rather than in a more stiff rigid fashion - hard to describe but you'll find the brush head 'swings' across the glass and this is accentuated by how you move the pole - 'lean into it' and over exaggerate a little -  you'll find your brush acts differently on the glass and you can create shapes not possible with the fixed head - I love mine - play with it and you'll find it can get into awkward spots without you having to...?

Used the swivel all morning found it ok on ground floor windows but was to stiff for upstairs ones so slackened it off a bit , and got on fine with it it is very good when working down narrow alleyways and awkward angles , don’t think it saved me any time but yes I think it’s quite good , obviously no good for plastic cleans , but thu k I will keep it on the pole and might evan buy a couple more of them next time I put an order in with Alex .

Pjj Next time you in the pub with him - can you mention his delivery process for orders over £500 is absolutely pants...

G -Have to sign for -

Me but I'm at work - when is going arrive?

G -Dunno -

Me - Can you phone/email/text me with an idea

G- No - only it's coming tomorrow (maybe) -

Me - we'll I'm working -

G you need to sign for it -

Me- can you leave it somewhere safe

G-No 

RUBBISH customer service

Pjj Next time you in the pub with him - can you mention his delivery process for orders over £500 is absolutely pants...

G -Have to sign for -

Me but I'm at work - when is going arrive?

G -Dunno -

Me - Can you phone/email/text me with an idea

G- No - only it's coming tomorrow (maybe) -

Me - we'll I'm working -

G you need to sign for it -

Me- can you leave it somewhere safe

G-No 

RUBBISH customer service
I had a £1200 pole left at neighbours with no notification yet a £50 delivery not delivered as there was no one in. They blame the couriers but won't change them? You get a notification it's been collected and will be delivered tomorrow but not an estimated time. You have to email them on every delivery instructing them to leave it at a neighbours if you're not going to be in.

Excellent equipment but shocking delivery methods.

PT 100% - Oh don't get me started....was an entire fiasco...went on for 3 days...keep telling Gardiners what I could do - they we're completely inflexible...'yeah but it's the couriers they wont do that...nor that...or that...

Long story short...

When the delivery driver rocks up, have a quick chat - me 'why can't you leave in the safeplace - all you guys leave it here' - outside w/c which is actually just for parcels now - totally safe as we live in the middle of nowhere - he goes ' Yes I know, I told em at the office that this is where usually leave their parcels' :banghead3: he confirmed it was Gardiners who wouldn't let them...

I won't say I was mislead by Gardiners blaming couriers blah blah more like lied to.

(I feel better for sharing ? )

PT 100% - Oh don't get me started....was an entire fiasco...went on for 3 days...keep telling Gardiners what I could do - they we're completely inflexible...'yeah but it's the couriers they wont do that...nor that...or that...

Long story short...

When the delivery driver rocks up, have a quick chat - me 'why can't you leave in the safeplace - all you guys leave it here' - outside w/c which is actually just for parcels now - totally safe as we live in the middle of nowhere - he goes ' Yes I know, I told em at the office that this is where usually leave their parcels' :banghead3: he confirmed it was Gardiners who wouldn't let them...

I won't say I was mislead by Gardiners blaming couriers blah blah more like lied. 

(I feel better for sharing ? )
I've told them to leave at neighbours only to be told no neighbours were in!!

I wanted to address the comments made about Couriers ?

FedEx - Unfortunately we have no option but to use FedEx commercial courier services - why is that? It is is due to the nature of our business and the products we send out. We send about 100-200 parcels per day and 75% of these are pole boxes which are about 2m long. The courier industry classes these us 'Ugly Freight' - most couriers will accept about 5% 'Ugly Freight' on a standard contract and sometimes up to about 30% on a special terms contract. However as we have found to our cost only FedEx Commercial services will accept the high percentage of 'Ugly Freight' that we ship - even then we have to pay extra for this contract. We have asked most of the couriers firms for quotes and the majority will simply not even quote for the contract. Years ago couriers were not as fussy about 'Ugly Freight', but with more modern parcel handling automation systems, less of their systems can handle this freight now.

About 2 years ago ParcelForce convinced us to trial them which we did for about two weeks, but in reality they could not actually handle our contract efficiently - most of the 'Ugly Freight' sat in their distribution centre for days before being delivered. At best they could only provide a 48hour service where FedEx generally provide 24hr - they did send lovely texts and updates though, even if the parcels didn't turn up!

We would happily pay more for a more 'modern and communicative' service, but it simply is not out there for our products. So we are still with FedEx ?

Leaving Parcels - Firstly anything you have been told by a member of our Customer Service Team will have been completely accurate and honest.

Within FedEx you have two conflicting interests - Drivers and FedEx Head Office. Drivers of course will happily leave goods on the doorstep at any point, regardless of the value or the terms of FedEx Head Office's own contract or insurance terms.

With higher value goods - such as a lot of our poles we have to take out extra insurance on top of the standard carriage charge or else FedEx Head Office will not cover the value of them if they are damaged in transit, lost or left at the wrong house by the driver. One of their terms of this extra insurance is that the pole cannot be left unless signed for at the house it is being delivered to - of course the Drivers either do not know about the extra value insurance, or do not care about it. However if these extra value parcels are not signed for or are left then there is no recompense or insurance should it go missing from the doorstep or be received in a damaged state. So whilst the driver might say that they have been 'told by us' they cannot leave them this is only because of FedEx Head Office's own strict terms when taking out the extra value insurance. Yes we have asked for extra value Insurance, but the fact this means they cannot then be left is part of their own T&Cs.

For lower value orders these can be left if specifically requested of us (not FedEx) - however if these goods 'go missing' from where they are left then it would be up to you to pursue this with the Police as a matter of theft.

Notifications - FedEx do keep promising that modern text notification are on the way, but this corner always seem to be somewhere in the future. We would really like this feature if and when FedEx can offer it. I think because theirs is mainly a business to business courier service, this is not a priority for them.

We are doing the best we can in the circumstance with the Couriers services we have available to us - and we try to provide the best customer service we can, although we are not perfect ?

Anyway,  I hope that everyone is keeping well and safe in these interesting times we are living through.

Never had an issue with the delivery, the fed-ex lad is spot on also the 5 security cameras that someone has to get past from pulling up on the road outside to get to were the parcels are left probably helps, no way in or out without been picked up by multiple security cameras, I also have it on my Gardiners account were deliveries are to be left. 

Yes we have asked for extra value Insurance, but the fact this means they cannot then be left is part of their own T&Cs.
Alex as a minimum may I suggest you update your website so it recognises an item breaching your threshold and advise your customer at the time of buying of your restrictions? It would give us the option to go elsewhere?

The first I knew I had a problem was getting home to pick up a 'failed delivery note from Fed Ex' - not even an eta email from you guys let alone anything to say this NEEDED to be signed for etc - their note didn't even say it needed to be signed for.

Hence I put a note up - please leave here - contacted your team - via email - as was out of office hours - next day got a call from your team - repeatedly & categorically told the issue was with FedEx and told next failed attempt would/could result in the parcel being returned (to you) and I would have to personally pay for subsequent  postage. I requested an eta during the day - your team could not advise one-  I suggested they contact FedEx and get this info from then and let me know as I will be working locally and could nip home - reluctantly your team agreed - got a phone call next day - 11:30 returned home 10 mins away to find a failure delivery note - Arrggghhhh!!!! The call was too late he had already been and gone with my parcel!

Left message on your (annoying) call back ansaphone - I carried on working...finally got a called back late in the afternoon by your team - the only option they could provide was for me to sit at home to wait for your parcel - I had to rearrange my next days work not knowing how many of my customers would I have to let down to get my parcel - which was now 3 days overdue and needed. 

When the FedEx guy rocked up the next day  - we discussed the issue and I said surely there must be a solution to which he said yeah our  'delivery signature override document' which he promised to drop off next item he passed - I have it in front of me now...it clearly states if I were to sign this I would wave rights for any recompense should the tiem go missing from my safe place etc. - which is fine!

This is EXACLTY what I proposed to your staff at  the time who said - FedEx didn't offer this service - which I've now confirmed directly with Fed Ex they do and have the waiver. This might not be suitable for some/most - but as I had already lost several hours and annoyed several customers and lost a job to this fiasco I was fully confident to absolve YOU and Fed Ex but was repeatedly told that Fed Ex were simply not prepared to do this (not true)...

It my case I live in a very rural area - with few neighbours that could be guaranteed to be at home. Both myself and wife are at work during the day - however we have a number of outbuildings which are 'secure' obscure glass/stout doors - which ALL our parcels get left in - often just leave signed post-it note on front door - listing tracking number/courier and signed by me - this note is sometimes taken more often just photoed. - In 15 years we have never had a parcel go missing - so this is a 'safe place' - All this fell on the deaf ears of your 'computer says no' staff. 

As you can see despite spending a significant sum of money I lost/spent a comparable amount of my valuable time in wasted attempts to take delivery & contacting your office.

Through out the only option I was told - I must wait in for it - but your team could not give me a time - this clearly is an epic fail for a 'internet based company' delivering items to working customers - how do your competitors manage it - It' not acceptable to ask your customers to take time off from running their business to support yours - imho.

Suggest you do whatever it takes to sort this issue or at the VERY least tell your customers at the outset that this is the type of issue that can expect when placing orders which will trigger your delivery polices.

Alex as a minimum may I suggest you update your website so it recognises an item breaching your threshold and advise your customer at the time of buying of your restrictions? It would give us the option to go elsewhere?

The first I knew I had a problem was getting home to pick up a 'failed delivery note from Fed Ex' - not even an eta email from you guys let alone anything to say this NEEDED to be signed for etc - their note didn't even say it needed to be signed for.

Hence I put a note up - please leave here - contacted your team - via email - as was out of office hours - next day got a call from your team - repeatedly & categorically told the issue was with FedEx and told next failed attempt would/could result in the parcel being returned (to you) and I would have to personally pay for subsequent  postage. I requested an eta during the day - your team could not advise one-  I suggested they contact FedEx and get this info from then and let me know as I will be working locally and could nip home - reluctantly your team agreed - got a phone call next day - 11:30 returned home 10 mins away to find a failure delivery note - Arrggghhhh!!!! The call was too late he had already been and gone with my parcel!

Left message on your (annoying) call back ansaphone - I carried on working...finally got a called back late in the afternoon by your team - the only option they could provide was for me to sit at home to wait for your parcel - I had to rearrange my next days work not knowing how many of my customers would I have to let down to get my parcel - which was now 3 days overdue and needed. 

When the FedEx guy rocked up the next day  - we discussed the issue and I said surely there must be a solution to which he said yeah our  'delivery signature override document' which he promised to drop off next item he passed - I have it in front of me now...it clearly states if I were to sign this I would wave rights for any recompense should the tiem go missing from my safe place etc. - which is fine!

This is EXACLTY what I proposed to your staff at  the time who said - FedEx didn't offer this service - which I've now confirmed directly with Fed Ex they do and have the waiver. This might not be suitable for some/most - but as I had already lost several hours and annoyed several customers and lost a job to this fiasco I was fully confident to absolve YOU and Fed Ex but was repeatedly told that Fed Ex were simply not prepared to do this (not true)...

It my case I live in a very rural area - with few neighbours that could be guaranteed to be at home. Both myself and wife are at work during the day - however we have a number of outbuildings which are 'secure' obscure glass/stout doors - which ALL our parcels get left in - often just leave signed post-it note on front door - listing tracking number/courier and signed by me - this note is sometimes taken more often just photoed. - In 15 years we have never had a parcel go missing - so this is a 'safe place' - All this fell on the deaf ears of your 'computer says no' staff. 

As you can see despite spending a significant sum of money I lost/spent a comparable amount of my valuable time in wasted attempts to take delivery & contacting your office.

Through out the only option I was told - I must wait in for it - but your team could not give me a time - this clearly is an epic fail for a 'internet based company' delivering items to working customers - how do your competitors manage it - It' not acceptable to ask your customers to take time off from running their business to support yours - imho.

Suggest you do whatever it takes to sort this issue or at the VERY least tell your customers at the outset that this is the type of issue that can expect when placing orders which will trigger your delivery polices.
Thanks NoName for your comprehensive reply and details - I will start investigating what the situation is with this.

Back