Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Gardiners swivel

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Nothing personal Alex - I like your kit (see my other posts) - and when you find out - just for your reference I like Dalmore 18 YO vintage ? 

Hi NoName

I have spent some time in conversation with our Team and we have been in conversation with our FedEx account manager and FedEx Office.

Low Value Orders – as you are already aware, we will instruct FedEx to leave low value orders in a safe place. We did this for you about 10 days ago with your last lower value order. This is standard practice.

Iron Giant has mentioned that he has it ‘on his account’ that all orders are to be left – we do not actually have this on his account - instead what he has done is change the 2nd  line of his default delivery address to say something like  “Leave goods in Shed”. This seems to work for him when FedEx read his address label and for most low value orders. Of course, if such orders with these delivery instructions go ‘missing’ then there would be no come-back against ourselves or FedEx.  However, if he was having a higher value pole delivered the ETL terms (more on this below) would mean that FedEx would not leave the delivery if sticking to their contract terms – if the Driver chose to ignore the ETL terms and still leave them then it would be the driver & FedEx that would be liable should the goods be left in a damaged condition or ‘went missing’.

Delivery signature override document – This was a new one on us as we had never heard of this document or had it mentioned to us by FedEx at any time. So, we contacted our FedEx Account Manager and he also had never heard of this document! He contacted his Office and they did know about this document and explained what it was for. They explained to us that this is generally only used for clients they deliver to on a regular basis where for logistics reasons the goods must be left and are of a relatively low value.

This document is issued by FedEx to the end recipient (not the company making the shipment) and allows FedEx to leave as requested regardless of what request has or hasn’t been put in place by us as the Shipment originator.

The reasons that it has never been raised with us as an option by FedEx is that it is also made superfluous by other of FedEx policies – I will explain. For low value orders we have the option of instructing FedEx to leave goods if requested by the client. This means that this other document is not needed in general low value situations.

However, even if you, the recipient, have signed this agreement with FedEx, when we send out goods of a certain value, such as your last pole order in February which was for an expensive pole, we have to take out what FedEx call ETL (enhanced transit liability). This basically means that FedEx charge us extra to ship due to the higher value of the goods. As soon as we take out the needed ETL then this overrides any ‘delivery signature override document’ that may be in place and FedEx will no longer simply ‘leave the parcel’ under the terms of their overriding ETL.

So no matter how much you asked us last time (which you did) and no matter what a FedEx driver may say - due to the value of the parcel and FedEx ETL terms the parcel could not simply be left in a safe place, regardless of any documents signed or what any Driver will tell you.

I hope that has clarified why we are forced to ask for signatures on so many of our pole parcels. We can of course arrange for goods to be delivered to an alternative address (for existing clients) or held at the depot for collection by clients.

As explained previously FedEx do not offer the most ‘user friendly’ notification or interface system, but due to the goods we send we have to stay with them. Our shipping contract will be quite different to a lot of the other ‘window cleaning supply firms’ as they send a lot fewer poles and a much lower percentage of pole shipments compared to their overall parcel total, which means they can generally use a wider range of courier companies.

The last time I ordered a pole, I knew our house would be empty so had it delivered to my wife’s bank where she works.

She had to take the car in that day, which she hates doing because of all the traffic. Then had to squeeze it into the car by putting the seats down. She wasn’t impressed ??.

Incidentally , I need to thank Alex. I think I’m one of his favourites. Every time I order a new pole he sends me some free bubble wrap ?.

Have a great weekend fellow windies. Pub time.....??????????????

I hope that has clarified why we are forced to ask for signatures on so many of our pole parcels
No it doesn't  Alex - I presume you've now received a copy from FedEx UK  (surprised you've never seen it before tbh - my driver knew of in an instant) the doc says and I quote

"I hereby authorised FedEx UK leave all deliveries to the above address at the location specified below without obtaining a signature if there is no one to sign and accept the delivery.

I agree and acknowledge that neither FedEx UK or the customer of Fed EX UK [YOU] which has sent the delivery to me via FedEx UK will have any liability to me for any loss and/or damage of any goods as a result of leaving the delivery at the location set out below and I will indemnify FedEx UK against any and all losses and claims it receives from it reccives from it's customer as a results of such request"

I'm no lawyer but that is clear - no mention of any value thresholds - any parcel left will be at MY own risk and I'm signing away any right to make a claim from FedEx or you. simple.

Exactly what I suggested to your staff and was told could not be done - but now we see it can be done or at least FedEx can do it (which I was told they couldn't - not true - this is EXACT reason for the document)

So it's not as I was repeatly told 'a courier problem'  (nasty uncooperative Fed Ex) but rather YOUR choice not to offer your customers the same opportunity other senders using Fed Ex of their customers.

Why do you take out ETL - to protect me, no to protect yourself - so as a result you remove from me the right of veto - in favour of enhancing your opportunity to claim from them if they break/loose it..

Net result your customers suffer so you can benefit from the ETL protection.

This situation is as i think I originally rather succinctly described 'as pants'

Are there no other couriers who will do what their customers (you) want?
Why don't you contract with FedEx if they have a Delivery Signature Override - that you don't need EFL - since I'm indemnifying you against any loss? Come on, your bright and this is an easy puzzle to solve - you could just add a flag to an account is this customer trustworthy' (no claims made in last 5 years etc - ) hence you send not 'demanding' a signature - which is admin to you but lost time and money to your customers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not far from there actually, neighbours both sides are elderly with health problems. I don't recall one instance when they've both been out together as one has MS and very rarely goes out.
It might have improved since I was there last which would have been more than 25 years ago, I did dry lining on some former council flats on another estate in different part of Sunderland it had wacker in the name of the area I think, those were the days used to go to an all nighter on a Friday get picked up outside the club at 7am then go to work then the same on Saturday through to Sunday and work again, I struggle to do a 4 day week these days never mind 7 days ?

It might have improved since I was there last which would have been more than 25 years ago, I did dry lining on some former council flats on another estate in different part of Sunderland it had wacker in the name of the area I think, those were the days used to go to an all nighter on a Friday get picked up outside the club at 7am then go to work then the same on Saturday through to Sunday and work again, I struggle to do a 4 day week these days never mind 7 days ?
There was a very rough Council Estate called Newport where all the houses were rendered white. This is the other end of Silksworth to me and was opposite what was Silksworth put.The dregs lived there but has been cleaned up a lot in the last 10 years

The other estate is probably Witherwack, still not the nicest area and 25 years ago was really bad.

Going back to swivels.

So which Gardiner type of swivel do the people who like swivels use?

We have:

QUICK-LOQ ANGLE ADAPTER WITH SWIVEL GOOSENECK

QUICK-LOQ SWIVEL ADAPTER (goes from std gooseneck to standard brush fitting.)

QUICK-LOQ STRAIGHT SWIVEL BRUSH SOCKET ADAPTER

QUICK-LOQ ANGLED SWIVEL BRUSH SOCKET ADAPTER

I am inclined to try the Swivel Adapter as it can be used with any brush and fitted and removed easily?

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Back