Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

getting over heights

WCF

Help Support WCF:

i agree with you about giving out the wrong advise and if im honest i use a bit of both techniques, 1 hand on the rungs but always 1 hand on the rail, its not bad advice at all, your hands will miss a rung every now and again or slip and if you have 1 hand on the rail,(constant contact), you will be better off.

as for

"Also I bet you don't slide your hands up and down the rails all the time, you will make the same motion, releasing your grip and moving one hand above the other."

as it happens i do slide my hands up and down the rails with constant contact, thats the whole point, its easy to have constant contact.

like you say this isnt a case of my ways better than yours, im sure health and safety would back you up but iv worked constantly on ladders for the last 12 years and holding the rail with at least 1 hand has always served me well, it doesnt really concern me if you agree but if only 1 person reads this and employs this teqhnique they will be working safer imo!

If you put both hands on rails, and put the inside of your feet on too you can slide down.. Saves alot of time especially when your 30' in the air

I also have constant contact when climbing a ladder with at least one hand on a rung at any given time. I also think that if your feet are wet as you say, then its because it has been raining and the whole ladder will be wet as well. At least by gripping the rungs you have a strong hold, and with the ladders I use, and I assume most are the same, they have lines for extra grip to avoid slips.

"iv worked constantly on ladders for the last 12 years and holding the rail with at least 1 hand has always served me well".

I have been driving for a long time, and have never had a crash, does that mean its safe for me not to wear a seatbelt.

No offence meant here buddy, but you have one opinion and I have another, I think it would probably serve others well to debate it. I see allot of old times doing this, but to me it just seems like a bad habit that others seems to follow. I see the same people, sticking there applicators on stone sills while they squeegee of windows then use the applicator to soak up the next window, which could easily lead to scratched windows. I also see the same people going up and down ladders with there squeegee and applicator in one hand.

Just because someone has done it a certain way for a long time, does not mean that is is a good practise. Nobody likes to think that they are doing a bad job or that there way is not as safe, that is just human nature, but please seriously consider how well you could hold on to a ladder if your feet did suddenly slip away from you.

If you put both hands on rails, and put the inside of your feet on too you can slide down.. Saves alot of time especially when your 30' in the air
like it, iv tried doing that from low level and u slide far too fast lol

tbh i think the ascending and descending is the safest part of using a ladder as its the one thing ur concentrating on. its when ur at the top and ur more interested in cleaning the window than what ur stood on thats the trouble

"I also think that if your feet are wet as you say, then its because it has been raining and the whole ladder will be wet as well."

...wet grass, splashes from the bucket, puddles?

"and with the ladders I use, and I assume most are the same, they have lines for extra grip to avoid slips."

...that doesnt indicate that the grips are for your hands, in fact the rungs are often uncomfortable for the hands which will make you less likely to grip them tightly

"iv worked constantly on ladders for the last 12 years and holding the rail with at least 1 hand has always served me well".

I have been driving for a long time, and have never had a crash, does that mean its safe for me not to wear a seatbelt."

...this is just completely irrelavant and so off topic it really doesnt apply here

"No offence meant here buddy, but you have one opinion and I have another, I think it would probably serve others well to debate it. I see allot of old times doing this, but to me it just seems like a bad habit that others seems to follow. I see the same people, sticking there applicators on stone sills while they squeegee of windows then use the applicator to soak up the next window, which could easily lead to scratched windows. I also see the same people going up and down ladders with there squeegee and applicator in one hand.

"

tbh offense is taken, what because i use the ladder this way im likely to be the same as everyone else with regards to bad practice? again completely irrelevant details

i dont want to seem argumentative or ultra-defensive, i agree that its debateable, like you say, but the way you word your posts is that yes its debateable but my way is better, honestly, just because you went on a health and safety course and they told you something, doesnt make it gospel, health and safety are systematically takinng the workers judgement in their own job away from them, i know how to use a ladder, i have for longer than most health and safety workers have been in the job, i dont need someone to tell me where to put my hands, its personal choice and both ways have their advantages/disadvantages!

Ladders are dangerous... you never know whats around the corner thats why im 100% ladderless

I aint getting into no slanging match lad , but if im gonna call people names over the internet i am willing to do it to theyre face . Besides i didnt mean it as offensive its just my way of having a craic .

i second gav.b', harunh, your an idiot, you havent even cleaned a window yet, you know nothing, and yes i would say it to your face, your what 21?

harunh Wrote:

Ladders are dangerous... you never know whats around the corner thats why im 100% ladderless

once while moving on to my next clean i walked round the corner with ladders on my shoulder & nearly knocked a womans head off !!!! lmao

Their you go... simon says it all ! /emoticons/wink.png

And GMcleaning your so rude...... your probably much older then me.... so mature up ! Theirs guests coming on this forum.... they dont want to be put off joining this forum by people like you.

If you want to say something just private message me keyboard warrior

GMCleaning

Sorry if you take offence it isn't meant like that, IMO holding the rails is unsafe for the reasons I have previously stated, which is why I instruct my staff not to do this. I haven't been on any training course, that has come from window cleaning 8-6pm 6 days a week for the last 5 years off a ladder.

"but the way you word your posts is that yes its debatable but my way is better". Yes because that is my opinion I think my way is better and safer, if you disagree fair enough.

I don't want to go back and forth with points, I have made mine. again sorry if my opinion offends.

i've got a mate who's a firemen & he told me they are trained to climb using rungs not the rails. i always used rails cos it avoids getting dog **** on your hands

haruhn ladders are only dangerous if your not paying attention to what your doing, im glad im off them but mostly so i dont have to go on roofs. but i still do gutters up to 30 ft

thought i better say this is my 10yr & i've never fallen off a ladder. a roof once with just pulled muscles but no ladder falls & i'm well known for being clumsy & accident prone

I was window cleaning today, and I thought I'd wait till am going up and down them to see what actions I was doing, I sure I had one hand on the rung and the other hand on the rail, until I got near the top where both my hands were on the rungs. Isn't it personal preferencece after all!?

Don't you need three points of contact at all times to be safe?

I know it sounds obvious but two feet on the ladders, and at least one hand.

I know your closer up to the building as your cleaning the windows, but when am cleaning someones windows, I have my hand on the window, either sill, or if the window is open then hold onto that as more grip.

My other hand is cleaning windows.

Would be safer if people had bucket on a belts or pouch to hold there stuff in rather then one hand on ladder while going up and the other is holding items..

Latest Posts

Back