Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Go carefull on the ladders guys

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Definitely working tomorrow.. must be mental.

Injuries list is 2 broken fingers strapped together (well 1 for definite but feels like the other one may be also)

Bashed up and lumpy leg.

Bruised forearms.

Sore shoulder.

Sore wrist and bruises on lower back.

Apart from that I'm perfectly fine??
And you smashed a pot with your head but that's okay. Tell you played in the front five ?

Injuries list is 2 broken fingers strapped together (well 1 for definite but feels like the other one may be also)

Bashed up and lumpy leg.

Bruised forearms.

Sore shoulder.

Eye of the tiger, nowt like been self-employed 

Very glad you walked away from that one Mate. Ladders can be dangerous as can anything else. You had a accident and probably not sure how it came about.Was the ladder footings to blame?, was it due to over reaching that little bit more?,was it a slippery rung?, not having 3 points of contact with the ladder?.

As I say ladders can be dangerous, but you have to negate the risks as much as possible, course to fully negate you can just avoid the "risk" by not using a ladder at all. But many times that is not practical.

Probably  lots of us have tripped while at floor level over own pipework or garden ornaments or slipped on dog s**t. We can fully negate this risk by not being window cleaners, but again this is not practical.

Everything contains "risk".

Some head teacher has banned kids at his school touching snow!!! because H&S!!!!!.

Again glad you were able to walk away from this one.

keep building up your maintenance window cleaning work and add ons that dont include using a ladder.....one day you ll wake up and realize its just not worth the hassle/risk....... you ll be earning plenty doing the easier/safer work without having to risk your neck up a ladder.....it really isnt all about the money once you reach a certain level of income cleaning the safer work IMO

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a precarious gutter fix because it was over a conservatory. Told the home owner that I would need to drill his wall and fit an eye bolt to do the job. He was okay with that so I tied my ladder to the eye bolt so it couldn't move. Felt confident up the top of the ladder and quickly got the gutter fixed.

@Adams0211 go carefull mate  on your gutter cleans

Very glad you walked away from that one Mate. Ladders can be dangerous as can anything else. You had a accident and probably not sure how it came about.Was the ladder footings to blame?, was it due to over reaching that little bit more?,was it a slippery rung?, not having 3 points of contact with the ladder?.

As I say ladders can be dangerous, but you have to negate the risks as much as possible, course to fully negate you can just avoid the "risk" by not using a ladder at all. But many times that is not practical.

Probably  lots of us have tripped while at floor level over own pipework or garden ornaments or slipped on dog s**t. We can fully negate this risk by not being window cleaners, but again this is not practical.

Everything contains "risk".

Some head teacher has banned kids at his school touching snow!!! because H&S!!!!!.

Again glad you were able to walk away from this one.
Was good footings dug in to the grass.

The roof was a bit slippy and just lost my footing with 1 foot on the ladder and 1 on the roof.

Glad I had 1 on the roof as catching my foot is what saved me I am sure.

@Adams0211 go carefull mate  on your gutter cleans

Was good footings dug in to the grass.

The roof was a bit slippy and just lost my footing with 1 foot on the ladder and 1 on the roof.

Glad I had 1 on the roof as catching my foot is what saved me I am sure.

Bloody hell mate. You got away with that one. Lucky you're not in hospital over Xmas. You should have given me a shout and I'd have footed the ladder for you. 

You know me, I use my ladder as little as possible, but I had it off this morning and was inspecting some roof tiles for someone. It was lashing down with rain and I had this horrible feeling that if I stayed up there too long I was going to fall. Maybe trickier ones like that we should tie up with each other if there's no safer way of doing it. I'd rather sacrifice fifteen minutes of my time than you crack your head on someone's driveway. Saying that, it would give me the opportunity to move in on some of your customers ?

On a side note, I've not been on here for so long that I couldn't remember my log in details but I got there in the end. 

Definitely mate.

Will have gutter vac for spring.

Was the house next door to where you rescued me when I dropped my ladder that time 

Bashed up and lumpy leg.

Bruised forearms.

Sore shoulder.

Yeah! Never felt better Dave, eh??

Seriously though, so sorry you had a nasty fall but so glad you weren't seriously injured or worse.

Ladders; recipe for disaster really. I don't think there are many people that have used ladders for any considerable length of time that have not had an accident or near miss. Including me, and I am extremely careful. I injured my hand stepping off the second lowest rung of the short extending ladder.

Really glad you weren't seriously injured or worse.

I still work from ladders fairly regularly to empty gutters as I don't yet have a gutter vac. It's on my list for fairly early in the new year as I think it's almost inevitable to have an accident with using ladders regularly, even with being very careful.

Rooting for you mate, we all are. ??

Working today.a bit painful but glad I'm still here lol. 

Done a job that needs ladder for flat roof today.

Was a bit shakey going up it.

DaveB salutary lesson for us all - I can't big up ankalad stabiliser/microlite standoff combo enough,  along with a no greater than a  75.5% lean (1in4 which 'feels' way too steep). Guttering is too weak and susceptible to flex/break/slip the ladder to left/right, to rest ladders on, must ALWAYS be on the roof or a wall... a microlite on the roof arrests the ladder from wanting to slid left/right/back from under you, ditto the stabilisers. Belt and braces  ? Glad you're not 'seriously' injured - but good you posted so we can all reflect on our own procedures for ladder use...?

I find I'm regularly wincing as drive past other guys with ladders at all sorts of angles, attempting all sort of tasks, it might be 'boring' but the HSE has some sobering guidelines. (e.g they advise against 'stepping' off a ladder- other than at the top)

I just finished re-reading Robinson Crusoe - he  (Daniel Defoe) makes a great point about attempting something when we have a 'feeling' it's too risky...funny how often we feel something is a bit too edgy...wisdom is applied learning.

Buy stabilisers and microlite standoff you'll never go back to bare ladders...but perhaps you've already binned the ladders ?

DaveB salutary lesson for us all - I can't big up ankalad stabiliser/microlite standoff combo enough,  along with a no greater than a  75.5% lean (1in4 which 'feels' way too steep). Guttering is too weak and susceptible to flex/break/slip the ladder to left/right, to rest ladders on, must ALWAYS be on the roof or a wall... a microlite on the roof arrests the ladder from wanting to slid left/right/back from under you, ditto the stabilisers. Belt and braces  ? Glad you're not 'seriously' injured - but good you posted so we can all reflect on our own procedures for ladder use...?

I find I'm regularly wincing as drive past other guys with ladders at all sorts of angles, attempting all sort of tasks, it might be 'boring' but the HSE has some sobering guidelines. (e.g they advise against 'stepping' off a ladder- other than at the top)

I just finished re-reading Robinson Crusoe - he  (Daniel Defoe) makes a great point about attempting something when we have a 'feeling' it's too risky...funny how often we feel something is a bit too edgy...wisdom is applied learning.

Buy stabilisers and microlite standoff you'll never go back to bare ladders...but perhaps you've already binned the ladders ?
Had microlite and ankalad on previous 8.5m triples and have used at full height.

Sold them when I went wfp but decided to get some more for the odd gutter job.

On ebay now as I have too much softwash/pressure washing to need gutters anyway. 

Just had a fall off a ladder from gutter height.

Went upside down and foot caught in rung briefly which is what saved me.

Broken 2 fingers and got bruises all over.this is where I hit the plant pot with my head upside down.

Just go carefull guys.

Wow man, you had some serious luck surviving that without having life changing injuries - I'm glad you're okay fella!

Whenever I'm using a ladder for gutter clearing I use a ladder stand off.... it makes the ladder far more stable and much safer to work with too. Only costs about £30!

On that note i use one of them telescopic beasts..  it has a stabiliser bar and both ends. Initially i thought it looked ridiculous having a stabiliser bar up in the air but it does add a fair bit of security in that the ladder can't move easily. With that said though i ain't a fan of the bloody thing and use it as little as possible - already got knee problems and it makes them worse each time i struggle up the ****ing thing.

Wow man, you had some serious luck surviving that without having life changing injuries - I'm glad you're okay fella!

On that note i use one of them telescopic beasts..  it has a stabiliser bar and both ends. Initially i thought it looked ridiculous having a stabiliser bar up in the air but it does add a fair bit of security in that the ladder can't move easily. With that said though i ain't a fan of the bloody thing and use it as little as possible - already got knee problems and it makes them worse each time i struggle up the ****ing thing.
I've been using ladders tradding since 1991 and only fallen twice. Only been wfp 5 years.

Although both times have been bad.

Last time I fractured my cocyx (tailbone) and hurt my lower back bad enough I couldn't walk properly for a month and couldn't work for 6 weeks.

Just decided it's not worth it now.

Back