Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Go carefull on the ladders guys

WCF

Help Support WCF:

No weight in them.  It's a strong ladder so can handle my weight at the angle I set it at
I am not saying anything about them been strong or not, my point been if it's a regular window cleaning job it's ott to be setting up a ladder like that for straight forward flat roof access, I have one similar I stick a damp cloth/old towel over the end of my telescopic ladder and place ladder against the edge of the roof and it doesn't move this also protects the edge of the fibreglass roof coating against ladder damage. 

I am not knocking you for been safety conscious just for the overkill if, it's simple flat roof access for a window clean also as for drilling a hole in the wall for an eyelet to tie off on, you will need the home owners permission 

Purple you're free of course to use your ladders how you see fit (unless you employ someone, then you're have legal obligations...of course)

Excerpt below from HSE show options descending in preference...you see option 3 is what you did, to wedge, BUT option 2 above it recommends use of stability device as a preference, which you have (Anaklad) these prevent the left/ right slip scenario which you feared...check out their site for pics on tying off.

These guys know their stuff, they deal with deaths/falls/injuries day in /day out  and then devise these approach's based on knowledge collected from a range of sources and then devise solutions to mitigate the risks, which they helpfully list in sequence of efficacity i.e tying off is more secure than have some numbty with his foot resting on the last rung ☺️

I'm sure all free climbers feel safe in their own abilities ("I've never had a fall") until they wind whizzes past their ears as they reach terminal velocity...   ☠️

Do I have to tie my ladder?

Ladders have to be prevented from slipping during use. The options for securing a ladder are as follows:

• tie the ladder to a suitable point making sure both stiles are tied
  • where this is not practicable, use a ladder stability device
  • if this is not possible then securely wedge the ladder eg against a wall
  • if none of the above are possible then foot the ladder - footing is the last resort and should be avoided where possible by the use of other methods

For more information on ladder safety see: Safe use of ladders and stepladders, or go to the Ladder Association website.
Nice link.  I never thought of tying to window upstairs 

For tying I guess use two bits of rope or rachets.   Tie to both stiles.  I was using one bit of rope or ratchet and it was sliding a bit left and right in ibolt.  Two small rachets would be better. Firmer.  Less movement.  Quick too is important. Too much faffing is a pain. I'll look for some small rachets

Screenshot_20200102-105311_Drive.jpg

NoName quoted"I just finished re-reading Robinson Crusoe - he  (Daniel Defoe) makes a great point about attempting something when we have a 'feeling' it's too risky...funny how often we feel something is a bit too edgy...wisdom is applied learning"

As I say us windies are clever bunch...reading...and a book where it is written in the first person narrative (probably the first). And one the snowflakes should read to understand the mentality of people living then.

Back