Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Hot water systems

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Hot water does make the hoses softer, but some of the other claims that are made are exaggerated in my opinion.

I might be coming up with an idea outside the box soon, I’m experimenting with it.

Did p.m a member on here with one simple question, but completely blanked me. Nice ?

I have seen many threads from you stating this.  But not really seen anything to say why it's better.  I truly believe in paying extra for something that brings real benefits.

I appreciate you come across plenty of sea salt and gull **** on the windows you clean but I don't have this problem, despite servicing an Island on an estuary.  I have no trouble cleaning with cold water.

For regular cleans, on relatively clean windows, I fail to understand why hot water would be better.  I appreciate I'm still considered a "newbie" but I have been cleaning windows for 18 months now with no difficulties.  Trust me, I really want a hot water system...but my head is telling me it's not worth the extra £000s after having spent £000s on a GrippaTank system already this year!
That’s fine just carry on with cold ime not trying to twist anyone’s arm to go hot just sharing my personal experience with both hot and cold , for us I would never go back to cold , we do  work from Cornwall to London and use hot 8 hours a day 5 days a week on everything summer and winter  , the time saving is more than worth the extra expense , Ime not interested in a debate about it ones are free to to do what they want , but it also helps reduce the tax bill ????

That’s fine just carry on with cold ime not trying to twist anyone’s arm to go hot just sharing my personal experience with both hot and cold , for us I would never go back to cold , we do  work from Cornwall to London and use hot 8 hours a day 5 days a week on everything summer and winter  , the time saving is more than worth the extra expense , Ime not interested in a debate about it ones are free to to do what they want , but it also helps reduce the tax bill ????
I thought hot water would be common sense when cleaning or we would all clean dishes and wash clothes in cold water and save money. I have only used hot water since I began wfp and can't imagine using cold especially in this weather.

Stick with cold then I don’t understand why you posted if you dint want to hear the answers 
A lot of penny wise pound foolish on here at the moment. When I joined the forum nearly 3 years ago I studied everyone on it. I then studied all the guys running successful window cleaning businesses. I then studied the similarities they had to see if there was any common factors. I came up with these factors:- They mostly used hot water, made their own pure with an RO System, 3.5 ton van with 650l or over tank, two man system, electric reels, extreme poles, good brushes, went or were going hoseless, hardly ever used ladders, had a sealed floor, didn't go collecting money, used a pay system and didn't need to advertise. So I tried to copy them and bought a £10k two man hot water system from Grippatank for my first system. This I believe is a money making machine which gets me £800 a month without hard work. fwiw ? forgot about the underfloor rollers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the ionic 9kw hot box, bought it years ago took it out 4 years ago when I changed vans never missed it ,don’t do builders cleans so every clean is a maintenance clean, in the summer baked on bird poo can be a problem but nothing to loose sleep over will I put it back in the van NO.

will put it on eBay 1day

I thought hot water would be common sense when cleaning or we would all clean dishes and wash clothes in cold water and save money. I have only used hot water since I began wfp and can't imagine using cold especially in this weather.
The dishes comparison is idiotic. You use hot water AND washing up liquid to remove grease etc

I have seen many threads from you stating this.  But not really seen anything to say why it's better.  I truly believe in paying extra for something that brings real benefits.

I appreciate you come across plenty of sea salt and gull **** on the windows you clean but I don't have this problem, despite servicing an Island on an estuary.  I have no trouble cleaning with cold water.

For regular cleans, on relatively clean windows, I fail to understand why hot water would be better.  I appreciate I'm still considered a "newbie" but I have been cleaning windows for 18 months now with no difficulties.  Trust me, I really want a hot water system...but my head is telling me it's not worth the extra £000s after having spent £000s on a GrippaTank system already this year!
Best thing to do would be to try it out for yourself.  Last time I looked into it that's what I was going to do but I've not tried it out yet.  I have a trolley so all I need to do is fill one of my drums up with red hot tap water and try it on my own windows.  Granted the glass won't dry clear but how the water behaves and whether the whites of the pvc are whiter should be noticeable.  The main thing I want to know is whether it rinses better.  

The dishes comparison is idiotic. You use hot water AND washing up liquid to remove grease etc
As I've said before I don't come across many windows with gravy or ketchup on. I have a 9kw 2 man Webasto heater, it gets turned on for big filthy first cleans and when it's literally freezing, 0 degrees or colder.

Apparently that means you and I don't run successful businesses though ?

Nothing wrong with this.

You have to admit though, that washing dishes with cold water has been one of the best marketing ploys I've heard in a long time for selling hot water heaters. The marketing industry would be very proud of the person who came up with that one.?

Best thing to do would be to try it out for yourself.  Last time I looked into it that's what I was going to do but I've not tried it out yet.  I have a trolley so all I need to do is fill one of my drums up with red hot tap water and try it on my own windows.  Granted the glass won't dry clear but how the water behaves and whether the whites of the pvc are whiter should be noticeable.  The main thing I want to know is whether it rinses better.  
You rinse better with a higher water flow. The lower the water flow to slower your rinse. I've watched it time and time again with son and his backpack.

Hot water has a different viscosity to cold and flows easier. My flow rate on my Varistream is set at 3. With warm/hot water with supple hoses the flow is what I get using 4 or even 5. So the flow rate is better with hot water and so is the rinsing. I have 50 degrees at the heater and 30 degrees at the brush head atm.

We are visibly using more water a day than when cold only but then we also seem to be getting though more work.

The hoses are definitely easier to manage.  Son is filling his backpack up with hot water. He started moaning when I switched the heater off at lunch time the other day. He said his water was going cold and he preferred using hot.

I have spend a long time thinking about and modifying this heater to work with my cleaning habits. I have fitted a third heat exchanger in my heater.

When the temperature in the inner water circuit reaches 78 degrees the furnace goes into reduced heat mode. The temperature slowly increases to around 85 degrees when the heater switches off. When the temperature drops to around 65 degrees the furnace goes through the start up cycle again.

I have fitted an extra temperature sensor with a 12v digital temperature controller. When the temperature in the inner circuit reaches 83 degrees my controller activates a third Shurflo pump which pumps cold water from the tank through this third heat exchanger back into the tank. The pump operates until the inner heat circuit drops to 78 degrees. It just keeps the heater ticking over. I can talk to a customer for hours and the heater will just carry on ticking over on reduced hear mode.

Son doesn't draw much heat from the system with his backpack. I have noticed that running at the heat setting I do doesn't take that much heat from the inner circuit either. Often walking back to the van after a clean I hear the third pump on already bleeding heat from the heater back to the tank.

Stick with cold then I don’t understand why you posted if you dint want to hear the answers 
I wasn't hearing any answers as to why it was better other than "it's better" or "it's comfortable" etc.  Those are not reasons to justify the expense for me.

I was simply asking politely if there were other benefits.  I understand from the more recent posts that the hot water rinses better and potentially saves water.

I understand now what the benefits are (thank you all).  I just need to decide for myself if the benefits will justify the expense.

Thank you everyone.

You dont have to spend a fortune...you could fit an immersion and insulate your tank if you cant afford a diesel heater....
I don't think I have the space for a diesel so it would be an immersion heater from GrippaTank along with the anti frost unit and additional battery.  Thanks.

A lot of penny wise pound foolish on here at the moment. When I joined the forum nearly 3 years ago I studied everyone on it. I then studied all the guys running successful window cleaning businesses. I then studied the similarities they had to see if there was any common factors. I came up with these factors:- They mostly used hot water, made their own pure with an RO System, 3.5 ton van with 650l or over tank, two man system, electric reels, extreme poles, good brushes, went or were going hoseless, hardly ever used ladders, had a sealed floor, didn't go collecting money, used a pay system and didn't need to advertise. So I tried to copy them and bought a £10k two man hot water system from Grippatank for my first system. This I believe is a money making machine which gets me £800 a month without hard work. fwiw ? forgot about the underfloor rollers.
Blimey, so I cannot be a successful window cleaner because:

1) I don't use hot water

2) Don't produce my own pure water

3) Don't have a 3.5t van

4) my tank is only 500L

5) Don't use the extreme poles

6) I need to advertise

Darn! ?

Blimey, so I cannot be a successful window cleaner because:

1) I don't use hot water

2) Don't produce my own pure water

3) Don't have a 3.5t van

4) my tank is only 500L

5) Don't use the extreme poles

6) I need to advertise

Darn! ?
Sorry kid but I have to say it. You're acting like a spoilt brat six year old in a tantrum. You're really not doing yourself any favours.

Can you not see we're trying to help you? And have been from day one?

Correct me I'm wrong you have multiple xtreme poles blew 10k on a 2 man system that hardly gets used as you only have around 100 jobs that make you £800 a month. 

I have ran a successful businesses for over 20 years and been wfp for over 12 years I don't need all the above that you mentioned and I clean over 430 jobs a month on my own.

I won't say anything about the 2k woodchipper you bought after chopping down a sapling in a garden that you shouldn't have ?

Back