Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Ladder And Cloth Questions?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

may i also add that this topic is posted in the trad section, funny how the guys with the advice about how dangerous the ladders are are all wfp, and all the trad guys with experience have said its normal to have a couple of dents....

may i also add that this topic is posted in the trad section' date=' funny how the guys with the advice about how dangerous the ladders are are all wfp, and all the trad guys with experience have said its normal to have a couple of dents....[/quote']Don't forget the builders that I worked with used there ladders every day and the don't dent there ladders, many other trades don't dent them, even a lot of other window cleaners that have been doing it for years don't dent them. Non of my posts are offensive in any way.

Thing is these days most guys don't keep up with the ever changing rules and regulations, so as I have and it's cost me to do so, I'm giving all the information that I have had to pay for giving it away free to people to try and help them keep upto date with the regulations, all because I would hate to see anyone of you guys have a problem and lose what you took long time to build up.

When ever I have said 'you' in this post it means window cleaners in general.

I find it a shame that guys can't take the advise and things from some people that know a lot more about all the regulations than they would.

In not wfp

I'm trad, yes small dints and dents are Gona happen. That's fine, but I PERSONALY think that is too bent to be safe.

But we all have see things slightly differently, who's I say who is right or who is wrong, but for me, that bend looks too dangerous for me, but maybe I'm taking into account that I weight 16+stone?, maybe it would be fine if you Only weigh 10??

rc, your posts are offensive, you make out like your the all seeing all knowing health and safety god, and therefore you know better then everyone else and that anyone not doing it the way you have been shown is doing it wrong, there is more than 1 way to skin a cat mate,

my experience of using ladders over the past 10/15 years has taught me more about the capabilities of ladders and myself on them then you have learnt on all of your 'pay the money and you'll pass' h&s courses put together.

Thing is these days most guys don't keep up with the ever changing rules and regulations, so as I have and it's cost me to do so, I'm giving all the information that I have had to pay for giving it away free to people to try and help them keep upto date with the regulations, all because I would hate to see anyone of you guys have a problem and lose what you took long time to build up.

I find it a shame that guys can't take the advise and things from some people that know a lot more about all the regulations than they would.
and no offense intended here cns, but you have zero experience so your opinion lacks merit

Interesting comments chaps,... /emoticons/biggrin.png Keep safe using your ladders.... /emoticons/wink.png

GMcleaning is bang on to be fair, you get people that go on a day course of how to use a ladder and think they know the ins and outs of everything just because they have been given a piece of paper. Its people like that that i worry about more because There will never be a substitute for experience.

I know it's a very interesting and controversial subject and it'll pop up every now and again but let's not fall out over H&S issues lads.

Shake some virtual hands and agree to dissagree chaps, we're all different and have different views on this and that will never change so let's leave it there please!!

rc, your posts are offensive, you make out like your the all seeing all knowing health and safety god, and therefore you know better then everyone else and that anyone not doing it the way you have been shown is doing it wrong, there is more than 1 way to skin a cat mate,my experience of using ladders over the past 10/15 years has taught me more about the capabilities of ladders and myself on them then you have learnt on all of your 'pay the money and you'll pass' h&s courses put together.

and no offense intended here cns, but you have zero experience so your opinion lacks merit
Just because I'm new to window cleaning doesn't mean I haven't used ladders.

Each to there own...

Stay safe!

I have been round scaffolding and ladders since I was 4, was building scaffolding towers in the back garden with my day when I was a kid, so had about 30years with being around them and on them.

Your missing the main point that is coming across, about what happens and they look at after anything should happen,

If the insurance company investigates an accident that you have and you are off work, and they find that they ladder is damaged or anything lime that, that would rule that you was at fault and won't pay anything out. They also look at the training side of it too, even tho its not law to be trained.

GMcleaning is bang on to be fair' date=' you get people that go on a day course of how to use a ladder and think they know the ins and outs of everything just because they have been given a piece of paper. Its people like that that i worry about more because There will never be a substitute for experience.[/quote']The training isn't all about using a ladder, it's the inspection of them, all the legislation with them, what courts will look out for if anything should happen, how to and what you need to make sure you have all paperwork correct etc etc.

Personally I have been round ladders and scaffolding for the past 30 years.

You could have 100 years experience but if you not got the right stuff like paperwork and documentation of inspections etc then that experience means nothing if anything goes wrong.

It's the people that think they know better and dont look into it themselves to find out are worse off than the guys that know about all the right regulations to make sure you never loose out if something should happen.

The ladder is not safe it may break, and can slip.

Please don't use this cloth with your ladder, try to use wash brush or washing wiper with sponge.

i find alot of these posts offensive, im not thick, in fact i think my academic record would put most of you to shame! dont make out that just because someone doesnt do the same things as you that they must be stupid/reckless or dangerous.
everyone on this thread that has said the ladder in the OP is dangerous is an absolute idiot, living in a dreamworld, and seriously needs a reality check. the only reason your ladders dont have any dents is because you only use them once or twice a week, i extend my ladders 100 times a day, every day, they pick up dents and scratches but they are still 100% safe.

i guess it would be nice if i had a few thousand when i set up, and a dad in the tool hire business so i could get a brand new set of ladders everytime mine got dirty!lol

but i cant afford to replace a £210 set of ladders every other week, if you could afford to change your ladders everytime they got a small dent or scratch then i can only say you must be ripping people off by charging too much!
i totaly agree with you GM to many text book snobs on here ....................pete

i totaly agree with you GM to many text book snobs on here ....................pete
Wouldnt say that at all, just guys that comply fully with the law and keeps ourselves 100% protected if anything should happen.

Right guys, thats enough now lets not fall out over some trivial opinions. After all this is not helpful for the Original poster who asked for some advice. Thats ALL he asked for, he didnt ask to watch his question turn in to an argument or other he simply asked for a little advice, no wonder new members don't stay long if every time they ask a question their thread turns into an argument.

Honestly how many times is this going to happen guys? We all have opinions an we should all be able to agree to disagree, For me personally i would say then very slight dent in the bottom rung is not so bad others RC would disagree but that's fine. I know for my self i could not afford to get a new ladder every time it had a slight knock, but yes insurance would not pay but if you drive you will know insurance will find a way out of paying regardless of what you do even if you stick to the rule book word for word!

All in all people come here for a little help and advice and the original poster is now not getting this, also should we not give users credit to be able to read others opinions and make their own opinion from this. This is not a i'm right your wrong forum. So lets help the OP and move on.

every one going on about ladders what about he isnt insured ??????? then it doesnt matter who what happens he probley dropes his gear and legs it any way

every one going on about ladders what about he isnt insured ??????? then it doesnt matter who what happens he probley dropes his gear and legs it any way
And what makes you say that David? The topic isn't about insurance he was asking for some advice because he lacks experience 'like you' and me for that matter which is why I left it for everyone else.

Back