Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Ladder climbs i don't think about

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Slower and harder
Especially add ons with a WFP you can charge for what other can't reach/do/or at least in fraction of the time...the more cash you get in the more services you can do - gutter vac/pw/softwash… which means you're busier on more profitable work...

I have no money, I was made redundant 10 weeks ago and I need to earn a living. 

I can't even afford a van. I have been given a ladder and I crowd funded for my kit. 

It would be great If I could create a life long business, ive always said the job I loved the most of all the years i worked was a a traditional window cleane.  
I understand that , I was made redundant and started window cleaning over 20 years ago I bought a ladder bucket and bits and bobs  and used the family car , just be careful and don’t take risks , try and put a bit of money aside and go wfp as soon as you can , you will do a better job , it’s much faster , and your income will increase by a huge amount , you will be able to do work that you couldn’t do  trad and charge more for it , I was very reluctant to go wfp I had a couple of friends that had it and I po poed it said I could do a better job trad , I went out with them for a morning and then saw the light , got van and professionally fitted system  and never looked back now have three vans and 5 guys , Ime not intrested in building the buisness any more in fact Ime looking at down sizing in the near future and working part time . 

I really want to tray and build it up from the ground. 

I thought my USP was that I was traditional lol ? 
Honestly I thought the same when I started with regards to usp... then I tried wfp and never looked back, I even have customers that only wanted trad (at least 15) and once I explained wfp and did it for them they were more than happy! I had one that was absolutely adamant she didn’t want wfp as someone had done it badly before (which can also happen trad) So I said I’d do the windows and if she wasn’t happy she didn’t have to pay and we’d part ways... she gave me a tip and is still my customer a year later with add-one as well.

Ted sounds like you have few options - get flyers and canvass till you drop - far from ideal time - but go for it if that's your choice - its spring and this is the time you gain new custy's typically - do not let your head drop - canvass until you are sick of pressing another doorbell and being told no thanks. Also try online sounds like your young enough - with your kung fu / pilates /cage fighting or whatever it was - get website and promote yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ted sounds like you have few options - get flyers and canvass till you drop - far from ideal time - but go for it if that's your choice - its spring and this is the time you gain new custy's typically - do not let your head drop - canvass until you are sick of pressing another doorbell and being told no thanks. Also try online sounds like your young enough - with your kung fu / pilates /cage fighting or whatever it was - get website and promote yourself.
Thanks no name! 

Ive been out every day with the fyers. 

Yeah a bit from planes, never really enjoyed it though, I liked flying fast parachutes and the 2 didn’t mix, I did a lot of flying under canopy with mates in wingsuits though! 

View attachment 20236

Slower and harder on the body For the majority so can get less done in a day. Especially if starting up so your round isn’t super compact.
That looks awesome.. only ever done 2 tandem jumps for charity.

I love climbing but too old and fat now lol.

Did 175 foot abseil head first once.. that was good fun.

Wish I was as good as this guy but being such a big frame i never would have been.

Plus not brave enough to solo.

Honestly I thought the same when I started with regards to usp... then I tried wfp and never looked back, I even have customers that only wanted trad (at least 15) and once I explained wfp and did it for them they were more than happy! I had one that was absolutely adamant she didn’t want wfp as someone had done it badly before (which can also happen trad) So I said I’d do the windows and if she wasn’t happy she didn’t have to pay and we’d part ways... she gave me a tip and is still my customer a year later with add-one as well.

I understand that , I was made redundant and started window cleaning over 20 years ago I bought a ladder bucket and bits and bobs  and used the family car , just be careful and don’t take risks , try and put a bit of money aside and go wfp as soon as you can , you will do a better job , it’s much faster , and your income will increase by a huge amount , you will be able to do work that you couldn’t do  trad and charge more for it , I was very reluctant to go wfp I had a couple of friends that had it and I po poed it said I could do a better job trad , I went out with them for a morning and then saw the light , got van and professionally fitted system  and never looked back now have three vans and 5 guys , Ime not intrested in building the buisness any more in fact Ime looking at down sizing in the near future and working part time . 
This is great advice! thank you 

Yeah a bit from planes, never really enjoyed it though, I liked flying fast parachutes and the 2 didn’t mix, I did a lot of flying under canopy with mates in wingsuits though! 

View attachment 20236

Slower and harder on the body For the majority so can get less done in a day. Especially if starting up so your round isn’t super compact.
Lol I would love to do that , done  a lot of absailing but that looks like fun ?????

23 minutes ago, Dave B said:

That looks awesome.. only ever done 2 tandem jumps for charity.

I love climbing but too old and fat now lol.

Did 175 foot abseil head first once.. that was good fun.

Wish I was as good as this guy but being such a big frame i never would have been.

Plus not brave enough to solo.

Great period of my life, still miss it a lot sometimes, spent 4 years competing on the GB national team around the world, that was a brilliant time! Gave it all up to sit round a mess table talking **** and sometimes fighting fires and window clean on my days off... but I wouldn't change it for the world haha!

I took over a traditional round in 2012 and worked it that way for a couple of years. After suffering from exhaustion (the round is on top of another full-time job and another part-time job) I bought myself a Gardiner CLX18, backpack and one 20 litre barrel.

I used this less than £250 setup to clean where the most dangerous climbs were and the windows I couldn't get to previously. It quickly became obvious this is the way to go. Bought a van and installed a tank. I still use the same backpack (and a spare). Everything upstairs gets poled apart from 2 houses who won't have it but pay a premium. Downstairs a mixture of trad or pole (whichever is quickest). The time saved on not climbing, and descending, moving ladders etc must put at least an additional £5 per hour to my earnings.

Ladders get used on first cleans, some gutter jobs where the vac isn't worth the set up time, gaining access over flat roofs to back gardens etc but they really need to be used as infrequently as possible. I knew it would only be a matter of time before an accident if I carried on as I started. If you climb a ladder thousands of times a year it's only a matter of when, not if.

I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss the option, by all means build the funds by traditional cleaning but change over when the bank balance allows and you'll quickly make that investment back and have more money in your pocket every week.

Latest Posts

Back