Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Ladder climbs i don't think about

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Teddington - maybe we're a little 'evangelical' because we have 'seen the light'...it's all said to help - even if it may have barb or two in it- try it out you may find we're all talking nonsense and then you can let us know? or you just might have an epiphany too

Do you actually work like that ?? What about footing the ladder ? Do you tie it off for every window ?? Installing eye bolts etc ?..  ladders do have there place but not for working 8 hours a day cleaning windows , to quote the HSE , ladders may be used but if a safer alternative exists it must be used , there is no ambiguity. I have gone out to numerous falls from heights over the years , many didn’t survive  the fall many that did weren’t in a position to ever work again and several could never walk again , when you can get a cheap wfp system that will do a far better job than trad I dont understand why ones risk there lives the way they do , I was trad for  10 years so know what Ime talking about , I have also been in the Fireservice for over 30 years and have used ladders for over 45 years but that doesn’t make them safe or prevent ones from having accidents , I understand you have to start somewhere but think about the consequences of a fall and being killed ,disabled etc would have on you and your family , and don’t try and tell people that have been doing this job for many years that they are wrong or afrade to use ladders .
yeah 

no footing the ladder

whats tieing it off?

and whats bolts? 

I'm a competitive kick boxer, I get punched in the face for fun. 

I personaly would climb a ladder for no money, you don't have to pay me to do do anything dangerous. 

Like I said though I think climbing a ladder is safer than driving on the roads 

I'm sorry, this seems to be a very touchy subject that cannot be joked about, clearly. 

This is a post in a traditional section of the forum so why are you guys even looking? 

I have no interest in water fed poles so I don't visit the pages. It seems all the WFP guys only comment on these posts to flex your vast knowledge of ladder use for which they have no use! 

It like turning *** and then going on straigyht websites and saying how **** they are just because you don't like it.
I do trad a lot of bottoms and inside commercials.

Also I am a moderator on here so ideally need to read every post.

Being a mod also I feel when dangerous practices are recommended and blase attitudes it should be commented on so others don't try to behave the same way.

Whatever your personal opinion it is more dangerous (fact) as you can't fall off the floor .

Actually I did trad for 3 years 1997 - 2000, I set up my new round this week. 

First of yes i came for advice not top be bullied 

secondly I never said I was an expert 

and third I did not say you didn't know what you were talkng about. 

Not only are youy defensive you are also drama queens, don't get your knickers in a twist pjj! lol!

once again, I never slagged it off 
Have you ever dealt with someone that has fallen 15 feet of a ladder ?. Have you had to  explain to there wife that they are now paralysed and will never walk again ?... no I doubt it , unfortunately I have on more than one occasion it’s not a pleasant thing to have to do , there is no need to take that kind of risk with modern equipment, HSE direction isn’t guidance it’s law and many are prosecuted each year for breaches of the law in this way , I am not getting my knickers in a twist but get fed up with ones thinking they know what they are talking about when they don’t , come on hear for advice and help and you will find ones very helpful , but try and teach granny to suck eggs and you will get a frosty reception , how you work is up to you but the consequences of your actions can and will affect others .

I do trad a lot of bottoms and inside commercials.

Also I am a moderator on here so ideally need to read every post.

Being a mod also I feel when dangerous practices are recommended and blase attitudes it should be commented on so others don't try to behave the same way.

Whatever your personal opinion it is more dangerous (fact) as you can't fall off the floor .
Solid

6 minutes ago, Teddington Window Cleaners said:I personaly would climb a ladder for no money, you don't have to pay me to do do anything dangerous. 
Not sure what I’ve just read there ?

Have you ever dealt with someone that has fallen 15 feet of a ladder ?. Have you had to  explain to there wife that they are now paralysed and will never walk again ?... no I doubt it , unfortunately I have on more than one occasion it’s not a pleasant thing to have to do , there is no need to take that kind of risk with modern equipment, HSE direction isn’t guidance it’s law and many are prosecuted each year for breaches of the law in this way , I am not getting my knickers in a twist but get fed up with ones thinking they know what they are talking about when they don’t , come on hear for advice and help and you will find ones very helpful , but try and teach granny to suck eggs and you will get a frosty reception , how you work is up to you but the consequences of your actions can and will affect others .
With you being fire service you would think people would understand your knowledge of ladders and fall arrest etc.

But there is no need to take any risks with ladders when wfp will do the job , quicker and faster and better . 
I have no money, I was made redundant 10 weeks ago and I need to earn a living. 

I can't even afford a van. I have been given a ladder and I crowd funded for my kit. 

It would be great If I could create a life long business, ive always said the job I loved the most of all the years i worked was a a traditional window cleane.  

I can't even afford a van. I have been given a ladder and I crowd funded for my kit. 

It would be great If I could create a life long business, ive always said the job I loved the most of all the years i worked was a a traditional window cleane.  
By all means start traditional if that’s all you can afford, im sure many of us did. All we’re saying is don’t dismiss wfp. If you truly want to make a life long business and make a decent living doing it, it’s the way to go. 

With regards to your comment “the job I loved most was a traditional window cleaner” I think you mean “window cleaner” as I’m sure at the time it wasn’t classed as traditional?

All I’m saying is maybe you enjoy window cleaning full stop. Yes you may not have the excitement ? of climbing ladders but that’s what hobbies are for. Why risk your livelihood for a bit of excitement and a lower income? (I understand the irony of what I’m saying having spent 8 years as a professional skydiver and base jumper and then moving into firefighting, but both of them fortunately had and have good sick pay if I was to be injured- self employed window cleaning does not.)

Truly sorry to hear that mate - what a time for it aswell - all the best pal - lots good info on here re canvassing put in the hard graft and it will pay off - and no one can ever make you redundant again - welcome aboard pal!

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a load of you Max ...ever wing suit? 
Yeah a bit from planes, never really enjoyed it though, I liked flying fast parachutes and the 2 didn’t mix, I did a lot of flying under canopy with mates in wingsuits though! 

80D7A276-338F-4440-8FEA-9AD9CF87EFDE.jpeg

Why is trad a lower income? 
Slower and harder on the body For the majority so can get less done in a day. Especially if starting up so your round isn’t super compact.

Plenty of national company's that are looking for window cleaners 

Only need 1 year experience and driving licence may be worth having a look and then setting up by your self when in a better position 

Back