Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Ladder climbs i don't think about

WCF

Help Support WCF:

@Dave Bwas exactly the same regarding ladders until his head landed in a flower pot. That might well have saved him from serious injury.

I appreciate you're set in your ways but there is a risk climbing and using ladders so personally don't see the point in taking that risk.

If you're established  as a window cleaner the cost in changing should be well within your financial means.
I have a WFP system just choose not to use it 

I use it for Windows above con roofs or hard to reach windows but won't be switching to WFP 

If my ladder can reach it I'm doing it on my ladder 

@Dave Bwas exactly the same regarding ladders until his head landed in a flower pot. That might well have saved him from serious injury.

I appreciate you're set in your ways but there is a risk climbing and using ladders so personally don't see the point in taking that risk.

If you're established  as a window cleaner the cost in changing should be well within your financial means.
This is how it is for me when you talk about risk climbing ladders.

I don’t see a risk, unless you have any or all of these problems: 

- health conditions

- too scared

- not been trained properly

and FYI I consider cycling on a road more risky than climbing a ladder. 

I think if you look at the statistics more people are killed by something falling on their heads than climbing a ladder

- health conditions

- too scared

I think if you look at the statistics more people are killed by something falling on their heads than climbing a ladder
With respect most people who die at work are due from falls from height , that’s why the working at height regs came in in 2005 , since then window cleaning has become a much safer industry and is now viewed  as more professional job . Ladders do and always will have a place but with wfp the place for them 99% of the time is on the roof of the van . 

With respect most people who die at work are due from falls from height , that’s why the working at height regs came in in 2005 , since then window cleaning has become a much safer industry and is now viewed  as more professional job . Ladders do and always will have a place but with wfp the place for them 99% of the time is on the roof of the van . 
Have you ever fallen off a ladder? 

There's around 65 million people in the UK that are potentially exposed to something falling on them and killing them. I very much doubt 500,000 people climb ladders, best guess, so on that basis you would need a multiple of 130 times the people killed by flying objects to those killed falling off ladders. Not the type of like for like comparison I'd use.

I do use ladders on certain gutter jobs but this is only on jobs where a gutter vac would take considerably longer. I have even, on a few occasions, done repairs and taken apart downpipes on 2nd floor guttering.

I wouldn't use ladders to clean windows as WFP is quicker and safer and my health is worth more to me then the money I actually earn.

I can honestly say half the time my ladder hasn't touch the wall before I'm up it 

I think as you get so use to doing it day in day out you trust your ladder, and don't think about falling of or what if 

If you buy a decent ladder you'll be fine don't go b&q or wickes or scerwfix 

Buy a window cleaning ladder a ladder that's made to last and then invest in some feet for your ladder and change them regularly ever 3 months cost £12 
With respect complacency will result in an accident, I thought I was just fine been trad a simple error which resulted in my ladder slipping out and I was only 6ft up resulted in me snapping my spine in two places crushing one of my vertebrae by 70% I came extremely close to spending the rest of my life in wheelchair

Window cleaning is considered by insurance companies as one of the most dangerous jobs in the country.

Not due to how often people fall (I only fell twice in 30 years) but the fact that most falls don't end well and a lot of deaths from falling.

It is always a risk hence the term "accident" not something forseen or caused by being unprepared. 

I am an experienced climber and abseiler as it was my hobby for years but still would be able to fall off a ladder from a freak accident .

- health conditions

- too scared

Last edited by a moderator:
Window cleaning is considered by insurance companies as one of the most dangerous jobs in the country.

Not due to how often people fall (I only fell twice in 30 years) but the fact that most falls don't end well and a lot of deaths from falling.

It is always a risk hence the term "accident" not something forseen or caused by being unprepared. 

I am an experienced climber and abseiler as it was my hobby for years but still would be able to fall off a ladder from a freak accident .
So you do have the fear factor, I don’t blame you for being scared. Fair enough. 

But try not to be a scare monger. 

Slightly on/off topic, but A few years ago, a salesman I know, he had someone in his company he worked with, who was offered a job out in the Middle East basically installing external cat ladders to very high buildings. Apparently 2 people had died in the last 2 years in the same region doing this line of work. The guy was offered £10,000 a month, plus expenses paid for (hotel for him & family I presume) the story sounded slightly far fetched at the time, but it’s believable & the guy who told me I trust him.  He took the job I think (must ask the guy I know next time I see him) I must ask what ever happened to the bloke....

I guess some people will put a price on their life. 

But over here, IMO it should be wfp unless you can’t.

So you do have the fear factor, I don’t blame you for being scared. Fair enough. 

But try not to be a scare monger. 
Not scared.. but a healthy fear of falling is essential, those without will take stupid risks.

Fractures my tailbone first fall and had a month off where I couldn't walk properly and then went straight back and did another 16 years trad before going wfp.

Anyone with no fear is quite frankly an accident waiting to happen.

As for scare monger it's attitudes like yours that cause accidents and encourage other people to take chances. Do what you want but don't pretend it's 100% safe

Not scared.. but a healthy fear of falling is essential, those without will take stupid risks.

Fractures my tailbone first fall and had a month off where I couldn't walk properly and then went straight back and did another 16 years trad before going wfp.

Anyone with no fear is quite frankly an accident waiting to happen.

As for scare monger it's attitudes like yours that cause accidents and encourage other people to take chances. Do what you want but don't pretend it's 100% safe
Ok... 

fear, I agree needs to be there in some form as that’s The reason why idiots get hurt. It was unfair to use the words scared. I think it’s a balance of lack of confidence and fear. 

I would been keen to see data on age, weight, ect of trad cleaners vs WFP I think there will be some correlations to be sure. 

I did trad for 26 years and although I never hurt myself I did have a few close calls, I never enjoyed going up and down ladders and my knees are feeling pretty worn out and would only get worse, so I got loads of advice on here and changed to wfp 3 years ago and was one of the the best decisions I ever made with it being faster and most of all safer and to me getting older I realise I'm not invincible.....age does that.

WFP quicker 

If I go any quicker my customers will be getting someone else to do the windows as I'm trad clean frame and sills still get told of for doing them to quick 

Last edited by a moderator:
Its simple, try and eliminate the risk as much as possible. How many wfp guys have fallen from a ladder while doing their job? Probably very few because they don't climb ladders no more. A Trad guy will climb a ladder maybe 50 times a day so there's more chance of him falling from it. I'm going to eliminate the risk even more when I get my backpack onto a trolley and can wheel it round to do backs.?

Ok... 

fear, I agree needs to be there in some form as that’s The reason why idiots get hurt. It was unfair to use the words scared. I think it’s a balance of lack of confidence and fear. 

I would been keen to see data on age, weight, ect of trad cleaners vs WFP I think there will be some correlations to be sure. 
Probably younger and fitter for the trad guys..

Most go wfp after a while.

Back