Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Leaks again

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Hello I've got a new leek on that brass elbow fitting has anyone else had this problem View attachment 15063

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app
Where is the leak actually coming from?

There is no need to use PTFE tape on the thread of the hose reel shaft. The connector has a rubber gasket inside and that will seal the elbow to the shaft. It works exactly the same as a Hozelok tap connector on a tap.

Wow no way. I’ve got the same leak right now at the moment 

Mines coming out of the bit were the rotating elbow bit goes into the socket bit if that makes sense?

It only started leaking on Friday, I was working with the pump on 60 as I had water than time left! When I got back the van floor was wet. Only yesterday I noticed where it was actually coming from. Annoying.  But I’ve had the reel/elbow for 4yrs (and that was 6months old second hand) so I guess it’s done it’s time. 

Wow no way. I’ve got the same leak right now at the moment 
Mines coming out of the bit were the rotating elbow bit goes into the socket bit if that makes sense?
It only started leaking on Friday, I was working with the pump on 60 as I had water than time left! When I got back the van floor was wet. Only yesterday I noticed where it was actually coming from. Annoying.  But I’ve had the reel/elbow for 4yrs (and that was 6months old second hand) so I guess it’s done it’s time. 
Mine is leaking from same place also but I've only hand it for about 5month's or so

Where is the leak actually coming from?

There is no need to use PTFE tape on the thread of the hose reel shaft. The connector has a rubber gasket inside and that will seal the elbow to the shaft. It works exactly the same as a Hozelok tap connector on a tap.
It's where swivel bit goes onto other to other brass bit on hose reel and I'm new to wfp and I've had problems with leaks before so i thought id "ptfe "everything just to make sure pal

What’s jet blue??
c6f07576daf07381d70da6277cea304f.jpg

I've never opened one before but you will find that inside there is a lock hex nut which holds everything together. They seal with O Rings inside so either the hex nut needs tightening up or the O rings need replacing.

Either of those will do the trick probably be best to get yellow one if you have a hot water system as that’s marketed towards central heating rather than potable water but if cold water system either will do the trick. Just slap it on the threads before you tighten the nuts shouldn’t need ptfe then but i’ve used both on the same joint in the past with no issues

Ok I’ve never seen that stuff before. So will I need to take the elbow bit apart?
If the leaks coming from the thread then yeah, then just spread the paste on the joints, you dont need much, then do nuts back up should be happy days

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile appQuite surprised the ptfe hasnt done the job tbh. Hawk white generally use on olives where connections are made. But can use on threads as well, i used to. Solved me a few problems.

Ok thanks for the advice. Interesting stuff.

I have a second elbow on a second hose reel I have in the shed. I might just swap it over for now 

I moved over to pro26 connections last week, cracking piece of kit, no leaks... Of course in typical fashion a leak has appeared elsewhere, this time on the pump outlet ? I think i'm destined to always have a leak somewhere.

Back