Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

mid life crisis! Windows could be the solution

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Actually I might not bother given what you said.

Yes I've had a think about add ons.. Hoover vacs are expensive but i'll look at that when I've got the van and kit I need.. A few windies near me do a bin cleaning service. I don't hear of anyone here doing that.  Any reason why? Stinking bins may be a turn off i guess ☺ @THL4KEL

Last edited by a moderator:
Go for a van mount, you’ll get fed up constantly refilling from barrels and doing your back in.

For a loan worker who wants to never worry about running out of water, then a 500L is what I’d suggest. Good luck 

Go for a van mount, you’ll get fed up constantly refilling from barrels and doing your back in.
For a loan worker who wants to never worry about running out of water, then a 500L is what I’d suggest. Good luck 
As above had a 500 litre tank fitted to a 850kg payload Peugeot Partner after gleaning loads of advice on here. I often use a full tank on commercials, and is all the tank your ever going to need, some days you just fill what you need, but I always brim it.
I also bought a Gardiner backpack but never used it so sold it on.
I also bought some telescopic ladders but only used them twice, they were a bit of a faff, it's easier to pull my ladders off the roof of the van.

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Thanks @dmw! A majority of peaple keep saying 500L, so think that's the tank for me. Now the only headache is deciding whether to buy a van and choose a company to install a system. Or buy a van with system installed from a windie.  I just question reliability with the latter 

If you're running as a sole trader there's no need to open a business account. Just open a standard bank account. Why pay £69 per year when you can get an account for free!

Yeah I see. I'll need to open another personal account with a different bank, mine said no. It was a mad call actually..  I asked if I could use my personal account for business use too, she said no point blank. I then asked hypothetically,  what if I said nothing and just started using it.  At that point she said you do realise this call is recorded! So I'm better off asking my new bank first ☺ 

No need for a business account as a sole trader and it’s perfectly legal to use your personal account as your tax/business affairs and personal affairs are classed as one of the same. This is why some choose to go ltd to keep everything separate. Obviously the banks will frown upon it as your using something for free that they would usually charge for so in effect they think they are losing money. I’ve been using mine for years, I go down every sat to pay in my cash takings for proof of earnings and also have a hell of a lot of bacs being paid in. Way too many for personal reasons and they have never said anything. I’d just start using it and don’t tell them and if they say owt threaten to move banks. They might change their tune then.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I just signed up for a Barclays business account. You get a fee free period but prior to that I just used my Co-op account for business and my Barclays account for personal. The only reason I opened a business account was because we are going limited soon and I want to completely separate my personal and business money. Once you're flying and have a load of customers it will be much easier to just whack business expenses on one account. Sod what the bank said, the tax man don't care where you keep the money as long as you can track it.

Thanks guy's. That phone call to my bank left me a bit confused and feeling like I'd done wrong! I'll open another personal for business use [emoji106] 
You get the first 12/18 months free anyway. Might as well just get a business account. Part timer is right too, you can put it into your personal account and transfer it which costs nothing after the fee free period. My one with Barclays is 12 months free, after that they charge to pay cash in and pay cheques in so I’ll put them through my personal account and transfer it over. Electronic transfers are free so all my payments that come from GC, Stripe, Sum up or BACS don’t cost me anything. May as well start as you mean to go on

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

No real need if sole trader.

I had one but wish I hadn't bothered and save a few quid. Its all your money anyway no need to keep it separate.

Ltd however you need one as the money is the companys not yours.

There's a good point in having a business account and it comes to expansion. This industry is growing exponentially and will be for some time. This means there is a lot of scope for expansion if one wants to. Difficult to expand without a business account I would imagine.

Latest Posts

Back