Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Newbie ,looking at getting started

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Thanks all for your advice. I'm sure I'll have loads of questions. Just want to get started now I've made my mind up on which way to go. Got a list of what I want to get. Just need my ££ now and get ordering. 
So my plan.

Maybe right maybe wrong. But I'm sure you'll all help me out.

So I'm starting in my car to get started. Thinking I'll get 2 Gardiner backpacks(on trollies)1 for pure and 1 for use with additives for conservatory roofs, facias etc. 2 poles for same reason. I think 4x25ltr water containers ( which I fill from the machine nearby)

Looking at getting Sky Vac atom set.

Magnetic signs to go on the car.

Business cards.

Will get shirts and sweatshirts done.

Brother in law is doing me a business plan. 

Got quotes for car insurance, public liability insurance £1m.

Hows that sound ? Is there anything I've missed or gone over the top with?

So my plan.

So I'm starting in my car to get started. Thinking I'll get 2 Gardiner backpacks(on trollies)1 for pure and 1 for use with additives for conservatory roofs, facias etc. 2 poles for same reason. I think 4x25ltr water containers ( which I fill from the machine nearby)

Business cards.

Be careful of using additives  / Chemicals in new Gardiner Backpacks as some chemicals may void their warranty, others will say they've never had problems but new kit isn't cheap so read the user instructions carefully.

I'd personally recommend you take on one service at at time. Master window cleaning as it's not something you can learn in a week.

Running before you walk ethos 

Save what funds you have and allow for breakdowns in equipment spares and vehicle related issues, trust me you'll get them,

Build your business slowly and wisely

How do you intend to store your equipment as insurance for that wouldn't sound like a stupid idea to protect from environmental damage and theft 

Be careful of using additives  / Chemicals in new Gardiner Backpacks as some chemicals may void their warranty, others will say they've never had problems but new kit isn't cheap so read the user instructions carefully.

I'd personally recommend you take on one service at at time. Master window cleaning as it's not something you can learn in a week.

Running before you walk ethos 

Save what funds you have and allow for breakdowns in equipment spares and vehicle related issues, trust me you'll get them,

Build your business slowly and wisely

How do you intend to store your equipment as insurance for that wouldn't sound like a stupid idea to protect from environmental damage and theft 
Thanks for reply ,will take onboard. 

My kit when not in use will be stored in spare bedroom.

I'm thinking I get my list now. Whilst I can. My redundancy after getting should still cover me for a year or so. 

I get what you say about Mastering the window cleaning. I understand it will take time. But I think offering the extra services also, can only help my business grow.

4 x 25 liter containers will probably get you through 2 first cleans if you are lucky!!! 

You dont need 2 poles as you can just unclip the brush and put on a nozzle to spray chemicals (Gardiner have a new spray nozzle) . Then flush the pole hose.  You can use a pump up pressure sprayer with connectors to spray chemicals as they are cheap so when chemicals destroy seals another is cheap. 

Might be worth getting a couple of different brushes to cope with windows, gacias, gutters and conny roofs. The gardiner ones just click on and off.

4 x 25 liter containers will probably get you through 2 first cleans if you are lucky!!! 

You dont need 2 poles as you can just unclip the brush and put on a nozzle to spray chemicals (Gardiner have a new spray nozzle) . Then flush the pole hose.  You can use a pump up pressure sprayer with connectors to spray chemicals as they are cheap so when chemicals destroy seals another is cheap. 

Might be worth getting a couple of different brushes to cope with windows, gacias, gutters and conny roofs. The gardiner ones just click on and off.
I have 3 different ultimate brushes on my list , so I can try them out.. I know I've gone over the  top a bit. But it seems easier to me having 1 thing for 1 and 1 thing for another.  Think I'll give it a go and see how I get on.

Thanks for the advice.

All 

So my plan.

Business cards.

All sounds good 

10 x 25 lt barrels at least

Just spray what you chose on the brush no need to use a backpack

Get insurance

Thanks for reply ,will take onboard. 

My kit when not in use will be stored in spare bedroom.

I'm thinking I get my list now. Whilst I can. My redundancy after getting should still cover me for a year or so. 

I get what you say about Mastering the window cleaning. I understand it will take time. But I think offering the extra services also, can only help my business grow.
The more services you offer will create more work for you. 

gutter cleaning pricing quotes is more time and another learning curve for you to master.

I'm not in anyway trying to discourage you but water fed pole work takes alot of skill to master.

Learning a time saving yet efficient technique and finish

Learning about flow rates rinse patterns and usage of water for example 

Buy all you need now but I strongly recommend you spend at least a a good portion of time doing your windows then slowly include gutter cleans. 

Otherwise you'll be running around like a blue arsed fly trying to forfill jobs.

Building a business takes a long time, buying and having equipment isn't a business in a box.

Some good tips 

Customer service 

Availability 

Communication 

Getting paid 

Are the key areas of success. If a customer messes you around you move onto the next job, if you mess a customer around your name will be spread like wildfire. 

Last edited by a moderator:
All 

All sounds good 

10 x 25 lt barrels at least

Just spray what you chose on the brush no need to use a backpack

Get insurance
10x25 ltr barrels wont leave any room in the back of the car for anything else.  It's a case of utilising what I have. 4 to start with, if I can fit 6 then all good. As I say I have quotes for public liability insurance and car insurance. 

Personally speaking, if you can get a van with your redundancy, I would do so.  I've seen people working out of cars and it does not look fun at all and could lead to disillusionment quite quickly.

You will run out of space, 4 barrels will not be enough.  Can you really fit two trolleys in as well?  Your car will get ruined with dampness.  But I understand some people start out this way due to finances being tight and good on them for starting out this way.  

Ditto the above advice, I would just focus on mastering window cleaning for now, along with cleaning of gutters, fascias and soffits, and perhaps some cladding too.  Gutter clearance can be set aside until you're more established.  Would a sky vac, along with everything else, really fit in your car?

Using chemicals in your backpack will void the warranty.  I simply spray chemicals on the brush where necessary but 80% of the time, pure water will suffice.  You will find that cleaning conservatory roofs, gutters etc will use more pure water - again, 4 barrels will be a faff as you will end up taking multiple daily trips to the filling station!  As a newbie, you will be using a lot of water, especially on first cleans.

Get a van and a tank fitted if finances permit.  If not, use the car but stick to windows only.

Best of luck.

10x25 ltr barrels wont leave any room in the back of the car for anything else.  It's a case of utilising what I have. 4 to start with, if I can fit 6 then all good. As I say I have quotes for public liability insurance and car insurance. 
This may help. I use approximately 15ltrs of water per house 

Another good tip is having spares such as pole hose fittings, a spare angle adapter, rectus fittings, i know you want 2 backpacks but buying a spare flow controller replacement now will help you later down the line. 

Also its recommended you carry i toolbox in the car for on the job equipment repairs and spare fuses for the backpacks.

When you get your new shiny water fed poles invest in some rubber o rings or wrap insulation tape around the closed section of each pole to prevent wear and the clamps not clamping later on with age. 

Never slam the poles down when you've finished using them. slowly lower them. This will also save them from wear or damage 

The more services you offer will create more work for you. 

gutter cleaning pricing quotes is more time and another learning curve for you to master.

I'm not in anyway trying to discourage you but water fed pole work takes alot of skill to master.

Learning a time saving yet efficient technique and finish

Learning about flow rates rinse patterns and usage of water for example 

Buy all you need now but I strongly recommend you spend at least a a good portion of time doing your windows then slowly include gutter cleans. 

Otherwise you'll be running around like a blue arsed fly trying to forfill jobs.

Building a business takes a long time, buying and having equipment isn't a business in a box.

Some good tips 

Customer service 

Availability 

Communication 

Getting paid 

Are the key areas of success. If a customer messes you around you move onto the next job, if you mess a customer around your name will be spread like wildfire. 
Thanks for the sound advice.  As you say try to master the wfp. Then go from there.  As I know that's the bread n butter.  Will have the others to have a go at, if n when I get asked for those services.  Cheers. 

This may help. I use approximately 15ltrs of water per house 

Another good tip is having spares such as pole hose fittings, a spare angle adapter, rectus fittings, i know you want 2 backpacks but buying a spare flow controller replacement now will help you later down the line. 

Also its recommended you carry i toolbox in the car for on the job equipment repairs and spare fuses for the backpacks.

When you get your new shiny water fed poles invest in some rubber o rings or wrap insulation tape around the closed section of each pole to prevent wear and the clamps not clamping later on with age. 

Never slam the poles down when you've finished using them. slowly lower them. This will also save them from wear or damage 
Cheers for your time and advice tonight mate. A lot to learn and take in. Cant wait to start ,new learning curve. But I'll get there.  

Thanks for the sound advice.  As you say try to master the wfp. Then go from there.  As I know that's the bread n butter.  Will have the others to have a go at, if n when I get asked for those services.  Cheers. 
Here's another piece of very sound advice 

Before you go out all guns blazing with your first window clean customer 

Practice practice practice on your own house your families before you meet that first paying customer 

Trust me it will make sense and you'll understand it when you do it.

I'm Austin buy the way and you will find some great advice tutorials and tips on YouTube. 

I'm AW Services 

Check out Squeaky clean Dave 

A E Mackintosh 

Green pro clean Ltd 

The more homework you do now the better you'll get on in class 

Here's another piece of very sound advice 

Before you go out all guns blazing with your first window clean customer 

Practice practice practice on your own house your families before you meet that first paying customer 

Trust me it will make sense and you'll understand it when you do it.

I'm Austin buy the way and you will find some great advice tutorials and tips on YouTube. 

I'm AW Services 

Check out Squeaky clean Dave 

A E Mackintosh 

Green pro clean Ltd 

The more homework you do now the better you'll get on in class 
Been watching A E Mackintosh and Green Pro Clean. 

Yes will practice ,already made arrangements with the neighbours. 

Do you have a YouTube channel also Austin?

What APW said. Practice practice practice. Your own home is a great starting point as you can come in and see they bits you missed ? 

I would say you will need approximately double the water on first cleans maybe even 2.5X. 

It's difficult to gauge as you only do a first clean on your own windows once ? and it's probably the first time you try and clean any windows ? 

I would even be tempted to use tap water to clean your own windows first that way you are not worried about running out of water and you can practice to your hearts content. You will still need to rinse with pure otherwise you will have streaks and water marks when it dries. 

Back